HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4?

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The s4 will sell regardless. The htc one in my mind has a lot of people interested. It's hard to say at this point. In the end does it really matter? A better phone will be out in 4-6 months. Just the way it works.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I plan on getting the One. I have a GS3 now and the 4 is an upgraded processor and bigger screen. I think most Samsung phones look cheep and flimsy being all plastic. Besides in America we root for the underdogs. You can't go wrong with either phone. And like a previous post, there will be another phone that comes out in 4 months that tops these. Only thing with the GS4 it will be Samsung topping it's own phone. I always thought that was sorta crappy for them to do that.

Bryce N

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I had an Evo Shift, which was a complete piece of garbage. I now have an Epic Touch that has pretty much been rock solid with a few very minor hiccups here and there. The design of the One is really appealing, and having signed up for the $100 extra mail in rebate it's actually a pretty good deal. But having been burned by HTC before, I'm really hesitant to walk away from Samsung.

Anybody else in the same boat?

Or I guess having been on Nextel since 1996 with bombproof rock solid Motorola phones for 13 years, I could wait for the X Phone...

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
what do you guys think? Who will win the general public? Which is the best?
I like the HTC One's external speakers and after having a GNex, I can tell you how important good external speakers are for when you have these large phones on speaker phone, which is usually unless you need privacy. My GNex's external speakers are atrocious.

I will need to feel how heavy the HTC One is, though. If it is heavy like the Rezound, forget it. Heavy does not equal good build quality. I can't find the weight anywhere and I keep asking on these forums with no response so it must not be published.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the note 2, I think the one peaks my interest. If I had to choose now, I would choose the one.

AG1790

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn between the two. I've had HTC before and the call quality was never good and I've had the s3 and loved it but looking at the HTC one I really love the design! S4 or HTC one is going to be a hard choice for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with my Gnex, I'm rooted with cm10.1 but still the radio's suuuuuuck as well as the camera. I'll have to play with both to see which one I like better. I'm also keeping my eyes on Sony

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel burned by Samsung with my GNex, the speakers and the radios suck!

My new 4.2.2 radios is rock solid. Hell even my 4.1 stock radios was good. I avg about 3mb of lte in my basement in Chicago. I basically want the s4 because of the hardware. 1.9 quad looks awesome.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My new 4.2.2 radios is rock solid. Hell even my 4.1 stock radios was good.
The 4.1.1 was a vast improvement. I flashed the leaked 4.2.2 OTA and the radios seemed worse to me so I flashed back to the 4.1.1 radios. I hope the official 4.2.2 OTA has better radios than the leaked ones!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, it it a very good choice to have between those two. On one hand, you have a BUNCH of new software features that can actually be very useful, and on the other hand you have a very high quality hardware with some software changes, although not really software feature additions.

Seems like Sammy really wanted to put out as many features as possible on this new device, and I think they nailed that. The Galaxy S3 sold very well because of those kinds of features. I sell phones for a living at a giant electronics retailer, and I can't tell you how many times people came up to me and said "oh so the S3 is that phone that you can touch together and they transfer stuff? COOL!" and then they would buy it. People love new software features, and it is one of the main reasons Apple's iPhone is going to continue to lose a lot of mindshare over the next year. They simply refuse to add good features to iOS.

HTC went with the hardware game. They greatly improved and already awesome hardware of 2012, and finally made a phone that I can say has better hardware than Apple's iPhone. I didn't think I would ever be able to say something like that, but HTC has finally done it. Then they reinvent the camera on phones, opting for larger pixels rather than more pixels. Beefed up the screen quite a bit as well. On the software side, they revolutionized the home screen with BlinkFeed, which I will love for the way I use my phone. They didn't concentrate on features as sammy did, but still nailed what I think they wanted to accomplish.

I will be opting in for the HTC One because of two reasons: amazing hardware quality and Beats audio (which does make a huge difference). Honestly, I am a hardware quality guy. I love great, solid, high quality hardware, and HTC has me more excited about the HTC than I have been about a phone since the Galaxy Nexus. Samsung did a good job, but I really wanted to see a good hardware improvement. They added some great features, but guess what HTC can do? Add similar features through software updates. Hardware, you can't change.

EllyBean

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Most people are disappointed in the design of the S4. I don't mind it, I like the pattern and not-so-shiny framing of the edges, plus I never pay attention to how it feels in my hand, I just USE the device, but HTC phones have always been physically appealing to me. I also prefer Touchwiz over Sense but once again, opinions. If only Samsung software came inside of an HTC body, I would probably jizz, for lack of a better word. Of course Samsung will win in terms of general public sales, but for Android fans, I'm sure they're all thinking the HTC One is for them. It's not the end of HTC. They've had a rough past few years but more Android users are excited for the One so they'll be okay... On a side note, people got their hopes and expectations up WAY to high for the S4. There's only so much phones can do these days and the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are sorta kinda near identical in specs. Sorta. It's all down to individual needs. My S2 will last me until the S5... Actually maybe not I have no idea this thing is slippery as hell and I want to change the colour of it. I'd pick S4 for myself. Personal preference

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Samsung was never about premium-design, or the best materials available, its about performance.
HTC has great-design, and good-performance.
Its up to you, really.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Most people are disappointed in the design of the S4. I don't mind it, I like the pattern and not-so-shiny framing of the edges, plus I never pay attention to how it feels in my hand, I just USE the device, but HTC phones have always been physically appealing to me. I also prefer Touchwiz over Sense but once again, opinions. If only Samsung software came inside of an HTC body, I would probably jizz, for lack of a better word. Of course Samsung will win in terms of general public sales, but for Android fans, I'm sure they're all thinking the HTC One is for them. It's not the end of HTC. They've had a rough past few years but more Android users are excited for the One so they'll be okay... On a side note, people got their hopes and expectations up WAY to high for the S4. There's only so much phones can do these days and the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are sorta kinda near identical in specs. Sorta. It's all down to individual needs. My S2 will last me until the S5... Actually maybe not I have no idea this thing is slippery as hell and I want to change the colour of it. I'd pick S4 for myself. Personal preference

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

Yeah you know, I never quite understood that... how people make a big deal about "how it feels in the hand to hold it." I just use the damn thing. I like to feel like a premium product, but never do I sit back and say "Well, this really doesn't feel very good when I hold it in my hand, you know."

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is the history of my smartphone-ownership:

- Samsung Galaxy S
- Samsung Galaxy S2

I never upgraded to the S3. Primary this is due to lack of money, but I never really liked the S3 design that much. I actually kind of decided just to stay with my S2 until it died. But just seeing the HTC One on a photo suddenly changed my mind: I needed a new phone, at it needed to be the HTC One! Because holy it's good looking!

Having never had a One in my hands, there are a few things that bother me a bit about the One compared to Samsung:

• Despite the fact that I love the One's aluminum body, I've always defended Samsungs use of plastic, because it's so more shock-absorbing = lower chance of a cracked screen when dropped on hard surface. Cause let's face it: I do tend to get drunk, and I do tend to drop my phone. I'm afraid I'll wreck the screen on the One if I drop it...
  • No replacable battery and no SD slot gives me less freedom - a thing I've always been criticizing Apple for. Samsung has that of course. Right now I only have 8 gigs on my S2, though. It isn't enough, but I manage. So I think I'll manage with 32 gigs on the One.
  • The first reviews all talk of a poor battery, even though it's so big. This is a little sad. On the other hand, the battery in my S2 sucks ass, so any new phone will be a major improvement.
  • HTC Sense. Even though the Sense 5 seems to me much more... Serious... than its predecessors, it's still Sense 5. I'm used to TouchWiz (with GO Launcher on top of it), and I think I'll like Sense 5 less. I'm pretty sure I'll never use BlinkFeed as I live in Denmark, and they probably wont add any Danish websites. But overall, we're probably just talking about a little getting used to.
  • I don't know much about this, but I've heard that HTC sucks when it comes to updating their software. Are they that much worse than Samsung on that point?

That was my two cents. I think I'll get the HTC One. I don't really see the S4 as something I'd throw a lot of money after. I watched the presentation yesterday, and let's just say I wasn't overwhelmed (by anything other than the terrible acting).

Last edited:

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing that gets me after the announcement of the S4, is the fact that Samsung managed to fit a larger screen AND bigger battery into a phone that is practically the same height/width as the One, plus make it thinner in the process.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae