04-22-2014 05:50 AM
67 123
tools
    Seriously... when was the last time you replaced a phone battery? I've owned multiple phones from Iphone 4(had it for less than 2 weeks and passed it off to my mom)/Samsungs G1 G2 and Focus/Nokia L920 not ONCE I ran into battery issues. All these flagship phones are going to be obsolete by next year I PROMISE you... with google glass and all the crazy tech thats coming out... next years tech will dwarf this years... You will never even get the chance to have a failing battery because lets be honest here you will get rid of your phone for the next best thing next year. HTC One is a beautiful phone and I can't wait to buy it. Complaining about SDCARD? lol I had the Lumia920 with all my music loaded(32gb version) and took a ton of photos and videos and I still had a lot of space left... buy the damn 64GB version if you are so concerned about space. Im saving money and buying the 32GB because realistically 32gb is enough for me and yes I will upgrade my phone next year because I am a phone enthusiast. I sold my L920 on craigslist(just like every other phone Ive owned) for 50$ less than market price and now I am waiting to buy the HTC One with the cash... I am pumped for the ONE can't wait till Rogers starts shipping them in Canada!
    Xsie likes this.
    03-15-2013 01:26 AM
    I can see why people might want the removable battery and an SD card slot so I don't consider it a silly reason for not wanting the HTC One. It's not about failing battery, it's about being away from a charging point for a protracted period of time.

I carry two phones with me, one is a work phone with a removable battery and SD card and one is my personal phone without any of those things and on certain very, very long days away from a wall socket I have battery problems with one phone or the other. So I bring an Anker 6600mAh power pack with me and charge which ever one I need. No removing a battery for me, I consider it makes much more sense for me to do that rather than having to remove the phone from the case, remove the back, replace the battery and put it all back together again. Both phones have 32Gb storage on them, one internal, one a mixture of SD card and internal and this is more than enough for me.

My good lady wife does replace the battery on her phone quite regularly so for her it is a nice thing to have. She says that it certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of the phone for her though so a phone that didn't have that option would not be a deal breaker.

I have a friend who roots his Gnex and likes making backups to a removable SD card, so for him a phone without one is a deal breaker.

It's all about priorities though.
    satannik likes this.
    03-15-2013 05:42 AM
    For me it's not about replacing dead batteries, but upgrading to more powerful ones. Battery life in smartphones with stock battery is horrible imo, and so far I have replaced the battery in every new phone within a month or so of getting it. My SGS2 has a 3500mAh battery, and while it helps, it's still pretty bad.
    satannik likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:20 AM
    Seriously... when was the last time you replaced a phone battery? I've owned multiple phones from Iphone 4(had it for less than 2 weeks and passed it off to my mom)/Samsungs G1 G2 and Focus/Nokia L920 not ONCE I ran into battery issues. All these flagship phones are going to be obsolete by next year I PROMISE you... with google glass and all the crazy tech thats coming out... next years tech will dwarf this years... You will never even get the chance to have a failing battery because lets be honest here you will get rid of your phone for the next best thing next year. HTC One is a beautiful phone and I can't wait to buy it. Complaining about SDCARD? lol I had the Lumia920 with all my music loaded(32gb version) and took a ton of photos and videos and I still had a lot of space left... buy the damn 64GB version if you are so concerned about space. Im saving money and buying the 32GB because realistically 32gb is enough for me and yes I will upgrade my phone next year because I am a phone enthusiast. I sold my L920 on craigslist(just like every other phone Ive owned) for 50$ less than market price and now I am waiting to buy the HTC One with the cash... I am pumped for the ONE can't wait till Rogers starts shipping them in Canada!
    It's nice to hear the One X meets your needs - it is a beautiful phone. Most of us though, like customizations and expandability. The fact that there is no SD card slot and a non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me. Since I live in NYC, I am constantly out and about. I am on trains and subways for a lot of the day and having a spare battery in my pocket is VERY important. That's why I stay with Samsung and the SGS3 and will eventually upgrade to the SGS4. Besides, the slightly larger screen is very accommodating and unlike most people, I like the plastic feel of the phone. It's in my Seidio case most of the time anyway. Just some food for thought.
    03-15-2013 08:42 AM
    Every htc phone that I owned I've had to purchase extra batteries and had to swap them out throughout the day to be able to use my phone for more than 4 hours. S4i yes, people have this issue all the time. My brother inlaw has the same issue. He actually switched to the iPhone for better battery life. I understand the complaint about the battery 100%. The sd card complaint, I agree with you. It's not an issue. Yes, having a removable sd card is great especially for developers but what people don't understand is that not having it removable is more secure. That's why nexus phones did away with it. Plus 16gb is more than enough for most, 32gb is decent and 64gb is for music lovers who carry around all their music and don't use the cloud either cause they don't like it or they have slow data or tiered data.
    But in the end the battery life is what's going to help people decide if they want the htc one. That's the deal breaker for me especially after having an awesome battery life on my note 2. Why couldn't they have put at least a 3000ma battery. 2300 is low considering all the stuff this phone is going to do. With the boom sound you'll be lucky to get 4 hours battery life if you decide to take advantage of it.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
    Air Force One likes this.
    03-15-2013 08:55 AM
    I have 2 batteries on my Gnex that I flip around quite often so personally I need that feature SD card not so much.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    03-15-2013 09:02 AM
    I can see why people might want the removable battery and an SD card slot so I don't consider it a silly reason for not wanting the HTC One. It's not about failing battery, it's about being away from a charging point for a protracted period of time.

I carry two phones with me, one is a work phone with a removable battery and SD card and one is my personal phone without any of those things and on certain very, very long days away from a wall socket I have battery problems with one phone or the other. So I bring an Anker 6600mAh power pack with me and charge which ever one I need. No removing a battery for me, I consider it makes much more sense for me to do that rather than having to remove the phone from the case, remove the back, replace the battery and put it all back together again. Both phones have 32Gb storage on them, one internal, one a mixture of SD card and internal and this is more than enough for me.

My good lady wife does replace the battery on her phone quite regularly so for her it is a nice thing to have. She says that it certainly isn't the be-all and end-all of the phone for her though so a phone that didn't have that option would not be a deal breaker.

I have a friend who roots his Gnex and likes making backups to a removable SD card, so for him a phone without one is a deal breaker.

It's all about priorities though.
    The Gnex sd card isn't removable bro.

Donvald and msndrstood like this.
    03-15-2013 09:02 AM
    Somewhat often. I use my phone as a backcountry GPS and I carry a second charged battery because it could be a week before I get a chance to charge. I'll admit that's a rather niche concern though.
    03-15-2013 01:01 PM
    you guys do know you can probably tear the phone apart and replace the battery right? im positive there will be guides on this on xda.
    03-15-2013 01:03 PM
    I think its great that the ONE fits YOUR needs.

As said before some folks like options. I personally have never owned an iPhone, because it doesn't allow the flexibility of swapping out the battery or gives me the freedom to use an SDcard,.to maybe save some of my apps too. It's all about preference. And I state that because I'm sure this may hold true for some.

And, you're exactly right about the phones being obsolete next year. I'm sure they will. But someone will actually be using their phone for two years (and we all know that's a long time) lol.

It's just all about preference, and that's why Android has a plethora of options.
    03-15-2013 01:09 PM
    The Gnex sd card isn't removable bro.

Fair enough. He hasn't got a Gnex then. ^^ Cheers for that.
    03-15-2013 01:24 PM
    I have an extra spare battery for my Galaxy S3 and its always fully charged but i hardly ever used it. i can count how many times ive used it actually. i have heard the HTC ONE has really good battery life with heavy use. Many reviews have pointed this out. i think the quality would suffer if the phone had a removable battery. Even the iPhone has a non-removable battery which i was used to when i was with iphones for 4 years before switching to android.
    03-16-2013 05:12 AM
    Seriously... when was the last time you replaced a phone battery?
    This morning, and everyday, at least twice a day. Yeah, your phone will last you all day if you do not use it. My battery needs replacing every six to eight hours.
    The Hustleman and Donvald like this.
    03-16-2013 11:48 AM
    Yeah but your not the regular person.
    03-17-2013 10:13 AM
    This morning, and everyday, at least twice a day. Yeah, your phone will last you all day if you do not use it. My battery needs replacing every six to eight hours.
    Now that I've got a real battery I couldn't go back to an htc battery killer

Sent from my Note 2
    The Hustleman likes this.
    03-17-2013 10:59 AM
    I got 4 batteries I swap daily only because I play ingress and am a power user.

03-17-2013 11:22 AM
    To the OP: It's not all about you.

In other words, not everybody's usage and requirements are the same as yours. Some of us keep our phones more than a year. Some of us need to change batteries during the day because we use our phones heavily, and can't easily plug in to charge. Others want to use high capacity batteries for the same reason. And no, carrying around a bulky external battery pack isn't as convenient or as effective as carrying a spare battery.

Most days I get through the day without recharging, but on those days when I don't, I'm very glad I can stick a spare battery in late in the day and continue to use my phone. With a One, I guess I'd be SOL.
    03-17-2013 11:25 AM
    Stop acting like a bad thing is a good thing.

No reason to make the battery non removable.

You can use metal and have a removable battery.

I've replaced batteries many times before, especially on HTC phones. HTC is really bad with battery life, they are the main people who should never release a phone without a removable battery.

I can get by without an sd card with 64gb if it's reasonably priced, so if it's 50 more for the 64gb model then great, if not it's a rip off

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Air Force One and Donvald like this.
    03-17-2013 11:30 AM
    Removal battery is all about convenience. I can't get that from the ONE. If my phone is to die half way throughout the day I'm SOL? Just a question... I'm using an Evo 4G and if anyone is familiar with this device, they'll know HTC wasn't too thoughtful on battery life. That's why I own 4 batteries. Haha

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    03-17-2013 11:37 AM
    No buy a small battery boost. They sell some you can put as a key chain also. Go for about 30$ fire 6000 milliamps

Sent from my MB886 using Android Central Forums
    03-17-2013 11:44 AM
    It's not about the battery failing for me. I think most of us that value the removable battery do so because we keep a spare battery to throw in when it's not convenient to charge the phone. If that is something that isn't important to you then that is fine but it certainly does not make it silly to want the ability to do it. My Note 2 last me at least 15 hours and that's if I am on it all day. Normally it lasts closer to 24 hours. I still keep a spare around. It was $30 with a charger. Well worth it to me and many others. Maybe not to someone else though.

Sent from my Really Big Phone
    03-17-2013 11:44 AM
    Removal battery is all about convenience. I can't get that from the ONE. If my phone is to die half way throughout the day I'm SOL? Just a question... I'm using an Evo 4G and if anyone is familiar with this device, they'll know HTC wasn't too thoughtful on battery life. That's why I own 4 batteries. Haha

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
    When I had it I had a pocket full of batteries too to combat the one hour of screen time.

HTC batteries are great when you first get the phone but after a couple months they lose charge capacity until you can only get an hour of use out of them

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile
    03-17-2013 11:49 AM
    I find it silly to require a MicroSD card slot. I prefer to either have my music in the cloud or use a USB cable to transfer. So much hassle taking the card then shoving it into an adaptor then putting it into the SD slot on my comp.

Removal battery is overrated. Why in the world would I want to carry a random battery in my pocket at all times? Seems dumb. And it ruins the design of the phone.
    03-17-2013 11:57 AM
    I find it silly to require a MicroSD card slot. I prefer to either have my music in the cloud or use a USB cable to transfer. So much hassle taking the card then shoving it into an adaptor then putting it into the SD slot on my comp.

Removal battery is overrated. Why in the world would I want to carry a random battery in my pocket at all times? Seems dumb. And it ruins the design of the phone.
    Well carrying a battery in your pocket is always better than a dead phone in your pocket...

Dead phone in the pocket, or a phone AND a charger in the pocket is REALLY dumb, totally ruins the user experience.

And as for memory cards, if you don't like it don't use it, plus for people who are NOT on unlimited data plans, the cloud is a terrible idea.

robbies7897 and Donvald like this.
    03-17-2013 12:08 PM

If you can't get to the sd card by plugging in with a usb cable then your phone was designed very poorly.

And a removable battery is a nice OPTION. It doesn't mean you are committed to carrying a spare. And with as bad as htc is with battery life they shouldn't be the ones leading the charge for non removable batteries. And to say that a removable battery ruins the design of a phone is just ridiculous

Sent from my Note 2
    The Hustleman likes this.
    03-17-2013 12:11 PM
67 123