Stock browser vs Chrome!

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ive used chrome on ios and was going to on the HTC one, however ive read that the sense 5 stock browser will support flash. Anyone used this or a previous HTC browser got any comments or a vote on best browser?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
i am using htc one x plus and the stock browser comes with flash installed
Flash will be supported on devices still running ICS (Android 4.0.x) and lower. Once they are updated to Jellybean (Android 4.1.x) and higher flash player is no longer officially supported, but can be sideloaded in some cases but has its drawbacks due to lack of official support.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd say download "Chrome!" and compare the two, but, like everyone else, you'll probably have to wait for the device to actually be released.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
can you explain please. I'm switching from iphone to android soon and would like to know as much as I can before I get my device.

On iOS any web browsing has to use the Safari rendering engine. So when you use Chrome what you're really using is the Chrome UI with the Safari rendering engine. Does that makes sense? All the stuff you SEE in Chrome on iOS is Chrome, but the stuff happening behind the scenes is the same as Safari.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
On iOS any web browsing has to use the Safari rendering engine. So when you use Chrome what you're really using is the Chrome UI with the Safari rendering engine. Does that makes sense? All the stuff you SEE in Chrome on iOS is Chrome, but the stuff happening behind the scenes is the same as Safari.
Don't forget the iOS chrome doesnt get the nitro engine due to security reasons.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I mistakenly thought that ever since 4.1 Chome was stock. If HTC is pushing something else, that's disappointing and good to know.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
From the various reviews i have read the HTC One comes with Google chrome (or just simply the standard google browser) and it also has a browser made by HTC on the phone. From the reviews they all say that HTC's browser kicks google chrome out of the water in terms of speed AND it will also support flash.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
From the various reviews i have read the HTC One comes with Google chrome (or just simply the standard google browser) and it also has a browser made by HTC on the phone. From the reviews they all say that HTC's browser kicks google chrome out of the water in terms of speed AND it will also support flash.

Well ill find out Wednesday and let you know!

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The HTC one does come with the stock HTC/Jelly Bean browser AND Chrome embedded, you can update Chrome but not uninstall it. The stock browser is, as always, pretty swift but not to put too fine a point on it, is u-g-l-y. Firefox is very pretty but not the most user friendly and Opera is probably your best bet for flash support.

Chrome is probably the best all rounder and because I use both a smartphone and an android tablet, the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between the two is pure genius. My problem with chrome though is that it does prefer to open pages in their mobile versions, even when you tell it not to (which you have to do every time because there is no way to set your preference as a default). This is particularly annoying on a tablet that is always conected to wifi.

Purely for this reason I started using Dolphin, maybe not as quick as chrome or stock but it does link up bookmarks and tabs across your devices and I am really beginning to enjoy the easy access bookmarks and options that you can just slide out from the side of the screen. Plenty of browsers to choose from in the market but as one of the most used apps, I think that usability and interface design are more important than waiting an additional 0.8 seconds for a page to load.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The HTC one does come with the stock HTC/Jelly Bean browser AND Chrome embedded, you can update Chrome but not uninstall it. The stock browser is, as always, pretty swift but not to put too fine a point on it, is u-g-l-y. Firefox is very pretty but not the most user friendly and Opera is probably your best bet for flash support.

Chrome is probably the best all rounder and because I use both a smartphone and an android tablet, the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between the two is pure genius. My problem with chrome though is that it does prefer to open pages in their mobile versions, even when you tell it not to (which you have to do every time because there is no way to set your preference as a default). This is particularly annoying on a tablet that is always conected to wifi.

Purely for this reason I started using Dolphin, maybe not as quick as chrome or stock but it does link up bookmarks and tabs across your devices and I am really beginning to enjoy the easy access bookmarks and options that you can just slide out from the side of the screen. Plenty of browsers to choose from in the market but as one of the most used apps, I think that usability and interface design are more important than waiting an additional 0.8 seconds for a page to load.

Cool, cheers, i use chrome on pc so would want it really to sync. ill have opera too for flash support then!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you sync the open tabs? I've never been able to figure this out.

There is an option in settings to, "sync this device" and then when you hit a, "new tab" there is an option near "bookmarks" for "other devices". Not looking at it now, but that's the gist.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Dolphin has started giving me some problems, random crashes and freezes, such as not opening new tabs when told to, so I have gone back to stock. Still can't get on with Chrome because of the mobile/desktop issue, apparently you can fix it on rooted devices or by debugging via a pc but that requires effort, hmmph.

Have now tried Firefox, Maxthon, Boat, Opera and a few others I can't even remember. Why can't the mighty Google just make an Android version of Chrome that works like the desktop version, fully customisable and with add ons like the user defined speed dial. Tell em I said so!

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Bringing this back up! The stock browser is really good imo, it does have
Flash.
Full screen modes (with or without notification bar)
The text wrapping is awesome, zooms in and wrapped then wraps to any zoom level you pinch, there's also article view auto renders what your reading like a mobile site.
View/access or add chrome book marks.
Plus I think it's faster and prettier!

uploadfromtaptalk1365362491216.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365362506720.jpg
Sent from my HTC One