Android Central's HTC One review

Brooks77

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So the camera is great in low light. But as far as in the day, is it comparable to the One X, the S3, or the Xperia series phones of this year?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone knows im a Samsung Fanboy before anyone calls me out. But in this case this device looks awesome and (being that i am not going to get it) i will def be jealous of the front facing speakers. I do not understand why everyone does not do this.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Did it annoy you that you couldn't get rid of Blinkfeed? I mean if you're not going to use it then "just ignore it" and "use a third party launcher" don't seem like optimum alternatives.

Were I to get one I'd certainly try it out but being stuck with it if it's not my thing is a little off- putting.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Alex. :) Do you guys know the maximum ISO the camera can do? All the Android phones I've had had a max of 800; the IPhone 5 has an ISO of 3200 i believe. Im kind of curious to know what the maximum on the One is.

Sent From my Bigger than my Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 :D

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone knows im a Samsung Fanboy before anyone calls me out. But in this case this device looks awesome and (being that i am not going to get it) i will def be jealous of the front facing speakers. I do not understand why everyone does not do this.

I always put my device in my pocket display to leg so when I pull it out, I can see the screen. In my pocket, the speakers face out so I can hear the device. Aside from that, it makes sense to be on the front. Off to read alexs review.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I always put my device in my pocket display to leg so when I pull it out, I can see the screen. In my pocket, the speakers face out so I can hear the device. Aside from that, it makes sense to be on the front. Off to read alexs review.

Yeah i see that point, but i watch alot of movies on my device so the speaker facing away doesnt work out so well .

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i see that point, but i watch alot of movies on my device so the speaker facing away doesnt work out so well .

Exactly. I use a UE boombox via blue tooth for that. If the front speakers are pretty loud, maybe it wont matter that they are muffled some in my jeans. Looks like a great device. It is going to make many people happy. I fear some battery aliens.......they scary:eek:

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So the camera is great in low light. But as far as in the day, is it comparable to the One X, the S3, or the Xperia series phones of this year?
More or less, yeah. The biggest disappointment for me was dynamic range. There'll absolutely be cases where a One X will get you a better photo, just because if the 4MP wall. But for the kind of photos people take on phones, the One (M7) is a good fit.
Hows the sound on headphones is it better than s3
The bundled earbuds are better than Samsung's. I prefer Beats to Samsung's audio tweaks too, though the Samsung player gives you EQ options etc.
Did it annoy you that you couldn't get rid of Blinkfeed? I mean if you're not going to use it then "just ignore it" and "use a third party launcher" don't seem like optimum alternatives.

Were I to get one I'd certainly try it out but being stuck with it if it's not my thing is a little off- putting.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums
I wasn't bothered by BlinkFeed. I used it, but differently to the way is use a news reader. I didn't have it as my default home screen though.

You can see my home screens in the review. My default is the one with the Google Search widget.
Hey Alex. :) Do you guys know the maximum ISO the camera can do? All the Android phones I've had had a max of 800; the IPhone 5 has an ISO of 3200 i believe. Im kind of curious to know what the maximum on the One is.

Sent From my Bigger than my Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 :D
ISO is 100-1600

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

These speakers are so loud you'll hear them whatever direction they're facing. Trust me :)

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Um... No camera, or any piece of equipment for that matter, is best in EVERY situation.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Posted this as a comment to the review as well but for fear of it getting lost out there im putting it in here too;

Nice review but I hope we can get a bit more details on some of the following;

Screen on time...install gsam or some other 3rd party monitoring app

reception/radio strength..it is a phone after all and I've see many times that not all are equal in that arena, HTC and Moto in my experience have always been particularly great in getting more dbm/bars than some other phones so hoping the One is no different.

Also..GPS lock on..(does it work as it should)--->typically not a concern for me but we did have some devices in the past where this was an issue.

And lastly..most phone cams and especially HTCs tend to have fairly aggressive sharpening.can you turn this down from the default one or two notches and see how the pics turn out then?

Thx!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Um... No camera, or any piece of equipment for that matter, is best in EVERY situation.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

He was asking specifically about it compared to the Nexus 4.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Alex I do have one Question is or easy to put your music and videos of c the phone because with the 4.1.1 of the evo lte it's really hard that's why I like what having an sd card. So could you tell if it is hard or not lol.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis