Android Central's HTC One review

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is a question:

I just saw over at iMore that dear Rene and his Apple mind said ".... at the almost Apple-class unibody hardware..."

"almost Apple-Class" is really what I am after.

Would you say the hardware quality and/or build quality is "almost Apple-class" or would you say it is superior?

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Here is a question:

I just saw over at iMore that dear Rene and his Apple mind said ".... at the almost Apple-class unibody hardware..."

Would you say the hardware quality and/or build quality is "almost Apple-class" or would you say it is superior?

I have an iPhone 5 and have had a play on an HTC One in store and I have to say the build quality of the HTC is fantastic. I would have no qualms in getting rid of my iPhone 5 and getting the HTC One if the decision was solely down to build quality (Fortunately I don't have to, i'm getting rid of my S2 to get the One instead). I was not disappointed in the HTCs build quality even remotely.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Here is a question:

Chances are he was just making excuses to say the iPhone was superior in any way he can.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Great review!

Now if people would quit bashing it for non-removable battery and SD slot that would be great! :)

That was always what made android stand out against iPhone from the beginning so you have to know the hardcore android enthusiast will be mad because of this.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
reception/radio strength..it is a phone after all and I've see many times that not all are equal in that arena, HTC and Moto in my experience have always been particularly great in getting more dbm/bars than some other phones so hoping the One is no different.

Agreed...would love to see/hear more on that as well.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Screen on time...install gsam or some other 3rd party monitoring app

reception/radio strength..it is a phone after all and I've see many times that not all are equal in that arena, HTC and Moto in my experience have always been particularly great in getting more dbm/bars than some other phones so hoping the One is no different.

Also..GPS lock on..(does it work as it should)--->typically not a concern for me but we did have some devices in the past where this was an issue.
I'm dying to know the screen-on time and radio situation as well, though Phil posted a comment last week in one of these threads that the radios were good. As for GPS:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/261979-gps-htc-one.html

And by the way, this review is the reason I come to Android Central. Long and detailed, but not verbose. And every aspect is discussed, not just touched upon. Excellent job, once again.

Last edited:

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Chances are he was just making excuses to say the iPhone was superior in any way he can.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

That's exactly and immediately what I was thinking, but I want to be sure.

Most review sites are saying the HTC One hardware quality is superior to that of the Apple iPhone 5. I have yet to hold the device, so I can't be sure personally. Based on what I have been reading, however, it seems that Rene is doing exactly what you suggest.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly and immediately what I was thinking, but I want to be sure.

Most review sites are saying the HTC One hardware quality is superior to that of the Apple iPhone 5. I have yet to hold the device, so I can't be sure personally. Based on what I have been reading, however, it seems that Rene is doing exactly what you suggest.

I think it's right up there, if not better. A lot of that has to do it being one piece of metal with the plastic injected inside. I've seen the step-by-step process. It's pretty damn cool.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Phil, Are you going to keep the One and use it over the N4? At least until the S4 testing review units come out? What I'm trying to say is, did you switch?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
... one piece of metal with the plastic injected inside. I've seen the step-by-step process. It's pretty damn cool.
I saw a sweet pic on cnet the other day that showed the inside of the body with the white plastic injected inside to outside, so you can tell it's not just some cheap trim glued to the outside. I'd love to see some video of the production process like we saw with the EVO or the One X from last year. And not that short one where the designers are on screen 95% of the time and you can see the aluminum being milled for all of 7 seconds.

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/02/18/HTC_One_Unibody_White_610x482.jpg

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone established how Sense handles multi tasking in this iteration vs. the One X? I'd like to imagine they keep more open in RAM...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone established how Sense handles multi tasking in this iteration vs. the One X? I'd like to imagine they keep more open in RAM...

That hasn't been a problem since the one x and evo LTE.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

I haven't had any complaints. 2GB means not having to say you're sorry.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
But we were told that was a feature, not a mistake. Those people that took that line from HTC and sold it probably feel silly now.

We were told it was a "feature" because it was there intentionally as a way to manage RAM. As Phil said, 2GB probably removes that need.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
We were told it was a "feature" because it was there intentionally as a way to manage RAM. As Phil said, 2GB probably removes that need.

So it wasn't a feature, just a lack of admission they either used up too many resources with sense or added too little ram. But reducing functionally is not a feature. If it was a feature they would have kept it despite having enough ram.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12