Future Updates

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is a thought:

Android manufacturers (the major ones) have been announcing new hardware for this year and most of them seem to have one thing in common: major software skin changes. HTC Sense was made over to include BlinkFeed and a completely revamped app drawer. In addition, they added HTC Zoe, and a bunch of other camera features. Samsung added dozens of software features to its galaxy S 4, as well as improvements to S Voice and other basic things.

With these changes in mind, I am guessing that it will take longer for OEM's to push out updates to their respective handsets due to all of this software changing, especially if Android 5.0 happens to be a big UI change.

Am I going crazy, or what do you guys think?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Here is a thought:

Android manufacturers (the major ones) have been announcing new hardware for this year and most of them seem to have one thing in common: major software skin changes. HTC Sense was made over to include BlinkFeed and a completely revamped app drawer. In addition, they added HTC Zoe, and a bunch of other camera features. Samsung added dozens of software features to its galaxy S 4, as well as improvements to S Voice and other basic things.

With these changes in mind, I am guessing that it will take longer for OEM's to push out updates to their respective handsets due to all of this software changing, especially if Android 5.0 happens to be a big UI change.

Am I going crazy, or what do you guys think?

I think it keeps handsets from being updated timely. I had a thunderbolt and never saw a single update to the software albeit I only had for 6 months LOL. But the more the OEM's tweak Android the longer its going to take cause they have to add their own flare and features to it. I believe Ry said it one of the other threads but Android updates too fast for the OEMs to keep up.

Sent from the collector home world.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's no more complicated for them than it ever was. They've always had their own proprietary camera drivers and the like. But now that HTC has one main device out there, the reality is that the software development that used to be spread across updating any given year's devices can now be focused on just one. Or just the One. The reality is that they will eventually release a mid-range and a low-end handset or two, but the bulk of their time can be spent on software development for the singular flagship device and all of the intricacies that are involved with creating the Sense version of Android 5.0. The same holds true for Samsung and, quite honestly, any OEM who limits the number of models they release in a given product cycle.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
It's no more complicated for them than it ever was. They've always had their own proprietary camera drivers and the like. But now that HTC has one main device out there, the reality is that the software development that used to be spread across updating any given year's devices can now be focused on just one. Or just the One. The reality is that they will eventually release a mid-range and a low-end handset or two, but the bulk of their time can be spent on software development for the singular flagship device and all of the intricacies that are involved with creating the Sense version of Android 5.0. The same holds true for Samsung and, quite honestly, any OEM who limits the number of models they release in a given product cycle.

Agreed as long as they stick to a fewer amount of devices it should be smoother for the update process.

Sent from the collector home world.

acrewdog

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I got an update to my Evo 3D just last night. At least the 3rd or fourth one.
I heard the Evo 4G got an update recently also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair