Updated HTC One Camera is NICE!!!

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Jerry, Phil, Alex? Whats up with the scoop? Phandroid already has a full article on this with side by side photos etc. We were all disappointed by the One camera at anything not low light. So HTC fixed it in a BIG way. I'm impressed. Phandroid (i'm new to it) seems to have a bunch more articles (new rumor leak on X Phone) than AC. You guys need to step up your game.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Jerry, Phil, Alex? Whats up with the scoop? Phandroid already has a full article on this with side by side photos etc. We were all disappointed by the One camera at anything not low light. So HTC fixed it in a BIG way. I'm impressed. Phandroid (i'm new to it) seems to have a bunch more articles (new rumor leak on X Phone) than AC. You guys need to step up your game.

I've followed Phandroid as long as AC (3 years). Phandroid seems to "Post first, verify later" at times, and they post wild rumors pretty freely. AC follows a much more "mainstream journalism" model. To each his own.

VendettaEMB89

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of HardwareZone.com.sg , are they a reliable source for this kind of information? Android central usually has pretty reliable sources.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I stop believing phandroid post after one of their authors said "I got news that the Nexus 4 will be released on Verizon "

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't call out the editors of this website. I think they do a fantastic job. I visit all sites, but this one the most. As someone said before: AndroidCentral seems to really verify things before posting them. Also, I have also noticed they don't post the dumb that the general media does. Things that stir dramatic responses or things that don't matter one bit. I like it here.

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've never heard of HardwareZone.com.sg , are they a reliable source for this kind of information? Android central usually has pretty reliable sources.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

It is probably the biggest IT-related forum in Singapore and the largest English one in Southeast Asia. They aren't a fly-by-night operation.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Phil posted to Google+ basically debunking the entire rumor, and the original article on the Singapore site has updated its story.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

It was a BS story.

The "update" took pre-retail units -- of which we've had a couple -- and updated them to the retail version of software (1.28.401.7), which is what both Alex and I have been using. Our review was written on the retail version of the software.

More here: https://plus.google.com/115963387846188704264/posts/BkaNVpcNySN

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It was a BS story.

The "update" took pre-retail units -- of which we've had a couple -- and updated them to the retail version of software (1.28.401.7), which is what both Alex and I have been using. Our review was written on the retail version of the software.

More here: https://plus.google.com/115963387846188704264/posts/BkaNVpcNySN

So basically the HTC one camera is still the same in daylight photos taken from your review

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So basically the HTC one camera is still the same in daylight photos taken from your review

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

What we have in our review -- and what Alex and I have been posting separately -- were taken with the same version of software as that "update."

Fun fact (and I'm not sure if it even matters): The camera app version didn't actually change from one software version to the other.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
What the article does kind of do (poorly) is reiterate that any "problems" people have with the One's camera in daylight seem to be software related, and I would be shocked if there wasn't an update in the next few months that addressed picture quality (among other things - like 4.2.2).

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What the article does kind of do (poorly) is reiterate that any "problems" people have with the One's camera in daylight seem to be software related, and I would be shocked if there wasn't an update in the next few months that addressed picture quality (among other things - like 4.2.2).

I'm really running out of ways of explaining this. The "update" was for test devices that shipped with non-final software. I had one of those devices. So did Alex. We used them for two days to get an idea of the HTC One, then switched over to the retail units 48 hours later -- units which have this "updated" software -- to do the review.

You can't (or at least shouldn't) ding unfinished software that wasn't meant for public consumption. I knew this going into the review process for the HTC One. I guess some people didn't.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My post was to say that it "could be" improved with a software update, not that the software update that went to the review units was the fix. :)

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My post was to say that it "could be" improved with a software update, not that the software update that went to the review units was the fix. :)

Oh. Well, I could be "improved" by going to the gym today, too. :p

Better to work with what's here than to blindly speculate on something about which we know nothing.

Clashman

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm really running out of ways of explaining this. The "update" was for test devices that shipped with non-final software. I had one of those devices. So did Alex. We used them for two days to get an idea of the HTC One, then switched over to the retail units 48 hours later -- units which have this "updated" software -- to do the review.

You can't (or at least shouldn't) ding unfinished software that wasn't meant for public consumption. I knew this going into the review process for the HTC One. I guess some people didn't.

While I wouldn't defend anyone for rushing a review of a brand new device on non-final software/hardware, Hardware Zone did at least go back and update their review to reflect the new software. The Verge has yet to update or follow-up on its "review" despite the author admitting it wasn't running on retail software and claiming that they would update the review once software updates became available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane