HTC One & iMac won't play nicely - HELP!

James Docherty

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks

Firstly, I'm a newbie and not technically minded at all - so please if you can help pretend im your gran and make the advice ***** proof

I've just received my HTC One today... first time with an Android phone. So far it all looks good but after 5/6 years of trying to fix my problem, I'm ready to smash the phone against a wall... searched online for answers without any proper solution.

I have an iMac which stores all my music, pics, vids etc... of which I have MANY!

iTunes stores all my media except iPhoto which looks after all my pictures, which are nicely organised in separate event folders.

I want to be able to choose which of my 10billion iTunes songs to put onto my HTC One so I can play on the Music app wherever I am. Easy I would have thought - appears not. No idea how to transfer my itunes songs to the phone. I can't seem to mount the phone following instructions i find online, the USB settings I'm seeing mention nothing about mounting!

As for my pictures on iPhoto... again can't find an easy way of choosing which of my events I want to sync with the phone... the HTC sync manager seems to want to import and reorganise 28 years worth of my pictures into it's own date format which is just a mess. I want to work with iPhoto not this HTC sync manager

PLEASE can someone help me. Please please please..;..

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks

Firstly, I'm a newbie and not technically minded at all - so please if you can help pretend im your gran and make the advice ***** proof

I've just received my HTC One today... first time with an Android phone. So far it all looks good but after 5/6 years of trying to fix my problem, I'm ready to smash the phone against a wall... searched online for answers without any proper solution.

I have an iMac which stores all my music, pics, vids etc... of which I have MANY!

iTunes stores all my media except iPhoto which looks after all my pictures, which are nicely organised in separate event folders.

I want to be able to choose which of my 10billion iTunes songs to put onto my HTC One so I can play on the Music app wherever I am. Easy I would have thought - appears not. No idea how to transfer my itunes songs to the phone. I can't seem to mount the phone following instructions i find online, the USB settings I'm seeing mention nothing about mounting!

As for my pictures on iPhoto... again can't find an easy way of choosing which of my events I want to sync with the phone... the HTC sync manager seems to want to import and reorganise 28 years worth of my pictures into it's own date format which is just a mess. I want to work with iPhoto not this HTC sync manager

If the tracks are DRM-free then Google Music might be your best bet.

Chris Bell3

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Download the Google Play Music Manager here:
Download and install the Google Play Music Manager - Google Play Help

Then in the preferences for it (it installs as a setting icon in System Preferences), add a folder and browse to the folder iTunes is using to store your music. That should be Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music. It'll take a while to upload all of your music but it's worth the wait. You get a free backup for your music and you can access it anywhere from your phone or on a computer. On your phone, you can connect it to Wifi and start downloading the music you want.

Amazon has a similar cloud service for music you might also want to try.

ste1164

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
For the music you could just download iSyncr. It is paid and they have a free app but the premium edition is definitely worth it.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, first, calm down. hehe....

For general file transfers (I wouldn't use this for music, although it will work) use Android File Transfer, which is a downloadable program for Mac made specifically for people like you, since OS X does not support the MTP format while Windows does.

Android File Transfer will allow you to transfer all sorts of files between the device and the Mac, kind of like using a thumb drive.

For music you have two very good options. The first will be double twist which talks nicely to iTunes. This option is just like having iTunes except for Android. HOWEVER, what I would use is Google Music. Go to google and search google music manager and download the desktop version. This will do wonders for you: anything that you have on itunes (or on your entire computer) will be brought over to Google Music through the cloud. This means that as soon as you purchase something on itunes, it will be on your phone automatically. The only downside is that it will be streaming, not downloaded. If you would like to download everything into the phone, Google Music will give you an option for that on the phone's app.

I would use Google music for everything. It is great and keeps your itunes music and phone synced up. However, it will not transfer playlists. DoubleTwist will. There are pros and cons, but generally, you want to use google music.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I would use Google music for everything. It is great and keeps your itunes music and phone synced up. However, it will not transfer playlists. DoubleTwist will. There are pros and cons, but generally, you want to use google music.

Not sure about the Mac version of the Google Play Music Manager, but the windows version WILL copy all of your playlist that you have created in iTunes and will also add songs to the playlists when you add the songs to playlists in iTunes. It does occasionally make duplicates of the songs in the playlist on Google Music, but it is easy enough to just delete the duplicate (does not delete that actual song, just the song in the playlist.)

I first started using Google Music when it was still in beta and will even listen to my music through my receiver using my android phone or tablet via a blue-tooth receiver, because it is easier than turning on my computer and opening iTunes.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the Mac version of the Google Play Music Manager, but the windows version WILL copy all of your playlist that you have created in iTunes and will also add songs to the playlists when you add the songs to playlists in iTunes. It does occasionally make duplicates of the songs in the playlist on Google Music, but it is easy enough to just delete the duplicate (does not delete that actual song, just the song in the playlist.)

I first started using Google Music when it was still in beta and will even listen to my music through my receiver using my android phone or tablet via a blue-tooth receiver, because it is easier than turning on my computer and opening iTunes.

The Mac version used to. It doesn't anymore for some reason.

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I had a very similar issue. Resolved by going into my Applications folder on the iMac and manually starting Android File Transfer. Bingo!

remains to be seen if I have to continually do it this way...

m3centurion

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks

I am also using an iMac with my HTC One and it is very easy to do what you want with Sync Manager.

For your music, just create playlists on the songs you want on your phone in iTune. Then in Sync Manager make sure under settings in the music section you have the correct location where your music is stored and you have selected the option to automatically import from iTunes. Then whenever you connect your phone you choose which playlists you want to sync to your phone.

With regards to iPhoto, all you need to do is drag the event folders you want to the album section in gallery. Then as with the music just select what you want to sync to your phone when connected.

Very easy and just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis