• Screen, battery life
  • User interface
  • Software extras, loudspeaker, audio quality
  • Synthetic benchmarks
  • Camera features
  • Still camera comparison
  • Video camera quality
  • Low-light camera performance

It's an excellent reference, don't you think?

So, will you be converting to the S4, or does the One suit all your needs?

P.S: Yep, I made the same thread in the GS4 section, but am also posting it here for referfence for the HTC One fans who wouldn't be caught dead on a *Samsung* thread.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Link: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com

Compares everything in detail, including:
  • Hardware comparison
  • Screen, battery life
  • User interface
  • Software extras, loudspeaker, audio quality
  • Synthetic benchmarks
  • Camera features
  • Still camera comparison
  • Video camera quality
  • Low-light camera performance

It's an excellent reference, don't you think?

So, will you be converting to the S4, or does the One suit all your needs?

P.S: Yep, I made the same thread in the GS4 section, but am also posting it here for referfence for the HTC One fans who wouldn't be caught dead on a *Samsung* thread.

Yes I read it elsewhere, could be from the Samsung thread on here or from another Android forums. It makes for interesting reading.

Will I be converting? Definitely not, the HTC One fulfils all my needs absolutely perfectly. I have a Samsung S2 and an iPhone 5 too and previously had an S3 so I have had a few high end phones and I am more than happy with the HTC One.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
How can they do a valid comparison at this point? I didn't think anyone had an S4 for reviews so things like battery life would just be a guess.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty down on HTC at this point (could they actually bother to release a phone on time? No? Oh, well, ok, good luck with that) but it's hard for me to take seriously a comparison that starts with megapixels and CPU clock speed.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I still have not made up my mind between the two phones and probably won't until there is an official Android Central review of the S4 and both are in stores for me to try out. I will say that GSMArena was all on the S4 n**s from the beginning though so it did seem rather biased.

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It can be easy to misconstrue tone in the written word, but your post seems a bit smug... ;)

I thought the comparison review was very thorough and gave me some new respect for the GS4. I'm admittedly a fan of HTC's phones - have had the TP2, Evo3d, and Evo LTE - and really have had no complaints on any of them. I've only played around a little bit with a few friends' GS3 phones and didn't particularly care for the TouchWiz experience (I love Sense, on the other hand). Perhaps if I owned one or had more time with it, I would appreciate it more. I know that my friends seem quite happy with their GS3 phones. And I'm happy for them.

So I went into the review with a pro-HTC bias due to personal experience and a slightly anti-Samsung bias due to my limited experience with TouchWiz, the fact that I don't like the look of the phone (subjective, I know, but that's my opinion), and because the whole GS4 vs One has created a David vs Goliath mindset where we are being forced (or strongly encouraged) to take a side. By the end of the review, I realized that I had not really given Samsung a chance before & I definitely want to spend some time with this phone & see it in action. The "Samsung is big only because it has a big advertising budget" line is clearly untrue, and I admit that I fell victim to it. Sure, a big budget and a clever campaign contributed to getting the name out, but advertising has to be backed up by product or it won't succeed long term.

In the end, although I finished the article with a new-found respect for Samsung's phones, I felt all the more confident in choosing the One as my next phone. I'm excited to try out the new camera hardware & the various camera software innovations like Zoe. BlinkFeed looks promising & I have high hopes for Sense 5.0. The front-facing stereo speakers are a big selling point for me. I'm also shallow but honest enough to admit that the beautiful craftsmanship factored into my choice. As I said earlier, I just do not like the look of the GS3/GS4.

Going back to my initial comment, I find it interesting that the tone I perceived in your post made it seem like the GS4 wiped the floor with the One. While they did conclude that the GS4 was the winner, I think you missed a key point in the final paragraph:

In the end, it's best if you don't just count number of victories to know which smartphone is better than this other. Instead, you should use this article as a reference - focus on the features you care about and ignore the rest. While each category has a winner and a loser, the "loser" in this shootout will be envied by most other premium phones on the market for quite some time to come. The winner? How about the one with your name on it.​

The one with my name on it will be the One. And I'm pretty sure I will be very happy with it. Probably just about as happy as you will be with the GS4 when you get it. Maybe (just maybe) we'll both end up winners...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Silly Me... I forgot one last thing. Keep in mind these pictures are from the same source and what appears to be the same time of day.

Compare the low-light pictures of the HTC One against the Xperia Z
HTC One review: To rule them all - GSMArena.com

Compare the low-light pictures of the HTC One against the S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com

I only have 1 simple question. Given that the pictures are from the same source, is there ANY difference between either set of pictures taken with the HTC One? hahaha!!!

I'm sad no one will challenge my observation that the HTC One has a schizo camera that does what it wants at any given comparison. :( ...with that said, is the review a go or no-go?

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad no one will challenge my observation that the HTC One has a schizo camera that does what it wants at any given comparison. :( ...with that said, is the review a go or no-go?

I'm an HTC fan, but I'm actually leaning towards the S4 now and the camera is one of the reasons. From reviews so far the "Ultrapixel" gimmick didn't really pan out and other high end phones still best the One in picture quality.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
At this point I'll probably end up getting whichever one comes out first. HTC had me sold, but they're certainly taking their sweet time releasing the thing (at least in the US).

In fact, the One's camera can't keep up with last year's models!

6-way blind camera comparison: the results

Not disputing their findings, but it seems odd that there are so many varying results with the camera comparisons. Lots of reviews I read seemed to like the camera, many seemed to dislike it. Strange...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
At this point I'll probably end up getting whichever one comes out first. HTC had me sold, but they're certainly taking their sweet time releasing the thing (at least in the US).

Not disputing their findings, but it seems odd that there are so many varying results with the camera comparisons. Lots of reviews I read seemed to like the camera, many seemed to dislike it. Strange...

I think it probably has to do how the cameras are adjusted in settings. I'm sure a professional photographer could get much better results then a non pro.

But the fact that results are mixed tells me that one is not better than the other and if there is a clear winner then differences are subtle enough to be happy with either

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Link to a single review showing the One's camera beating the iPhone or the S4.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Link to a single review showing the One's camera beating the iPhone or the S4.

^^there you go...

There are plenty that basically conclude that each camera has it's own merits in certain areas. Like DroidXcon said, they're likely close enough that most will be happy with either. A lot of it is simply a matter of opinion.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
So I'm supposed to trust gizmoto who's opening statement
is that the HTC One has "spectacular dynamic range

I don't think so. Not when I can clearly see that it does not.

I should also trust them when they call the indoor with flash the bestone, ior tied for the best onwhen it was clea

I dont think s

Should I trust them when they like the outside shotgunthe best regardless that even they say it was over sharpend and thus filled with noise ?

I don't think so. It's dynamic range was also **** pore.

I'll stick with websites that clearly know what they are talking about and not try to lie to my face.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

So I should trust a website that clearly didn't take all the photos at the same time, in many cases on different days, sometimes even in a different location or on a different table...
The indoor shots were heavily lit by sunlight, the low light shots were also exposed with sunlight instead of with tungsten bulbs.

And here is the best part, the author doesn't even say that the One takes a better photo.

Again, I'll stick with reviews that are a little better then this. Willing to try another website?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2