A discussion with HTCs camera guru

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
"Some of the early criticism of the One has been that images captured with its camera tend to look grainy and overly processed with noise reduction when viewed at full resolution -- particularly with shots captured in well lit conditions. What's your take on that criticism?

Whitehorn: I'd highlight that those were preproduction units. We had an automatic ISO issue that's been resolved and fixed pre-production launch. ... All those issues shouldn't be there [in final consumer versions of the phone]."

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/android/21976/htc-one-camera

Sent from my HTC One

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
"Some of the early criticism of the One has been that images captured with its camera tend to look grainy and overly processed with noise reduction when viewed at full resolution -- particularly with shots captured in well lit conditions. What's your take on that criticism?

Whitehorn: I'd highlight that those were preproduction units. We had an automatic ISO issue that's been resolved and fixed pre-production launch. ... All those issues shouldn't be there [in final consumer versions of the phone]."

HTC One, take 1: An in-depth discussion with the company's camera guru | Computerworld Blogs

Sent from my HTC One

Russ, You are a first hand user so how would you rate the camera? I go to alot of trampoline parks and skateparks so i think Zoe would be amazing!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
How about some low light tests under tungsten lightning (normal house bulbs, not compact florescent).

No new reviews will test under such conditions, such as a bar or restaurant.
That is what I want to see, with or without people is fine, as I know the OIS will not freeze moving objects, just camera shake.

Edit: just so you know, there is still over sharpening and noise with the updated photos, such ad in the android central review.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Russ, You are a first hand user so how would you rate the camera? I go to alot of trampoline parks and skateparks so i think Zoe would be amazing!

I love the camera, not taken too many normal shots, always Zoes! (not printed any pics though, never do)

Would work well for you, the cameras very quick to launch and take pics and Zoes incorporate best shot, action shot, always smile and object removal in one go. I personally love the 16:9 aspect ratio and the low light shots too.

Sent from my HTC One

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I love the camera, not taken too many normal shots, always Zoes! (not printed any pics though, never do)

Would work well for you, the cameras very quick to launch and take pics and Zoes incorporate best shot, action shot, always smile and object removal in one go. I personally love the 16:9 aspect ratio and the low light shots too.

Sent from my HTC One

Good to hear! I am still really interested in Zoe but it really comes down to how quick the shutter speed is. Really interested in taking some nice sequence shots and creating highlight videos! Monday i was at a sports event and somebody was trying to take a picture but people kept getting in the way so my first thought was OBJECT REMOVAL! In your mind none of that makes sense but in experience, everything seems incredibly useful. Wouldnt be printing my pictures either

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear! I am still really interested in Zoe but it really comes down to how quick the shutter speed is. Really interested in taking some nice sequence shots and creating highlight videos! Monday i was at a sports event and somebody was trying to take a picture but people kept getting in the way so my first thought was OBJECT REMOVAL! In your mind none of that makes sense but in experience, everything seems incredibly useful. Wouldnt be printing my pictures either

Well Zoes record so shutter speed is 3 secs, the normal shots are very quick for a phone - it's quicker to read and save a 4mp photo. Can't really time it but I'd say under a second from homescreen to shot taken. I'd say go and take a shot in a local store?

Sent from my HTC One

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well Zoes record so shutter speed is 3 secs, the normal shots are very quick for a phone - it's quicker to read and save a 4mp photo. Can't really time it but I'd say under a second from homescreen to shot taken. Is say go and take a shot in a local store?

Sent from my HTC One

Sadly no stores here have display models yet.. But im talking about how long the shutter stays open. Because in some cameras if you are doing a backflip somewhere itll just give you a huge motion blur of crap haha so i was curious if the shutter was real quick and could actually capture that photo instead of just getting a huge blur

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my HTC One

Russ - I just want to thank you for taking so much time on the forums talking about the phone and answering questions. It has been refreshing hearing it first hand how the phone performs and the features it has, as opposed to many on the forums who have been making judgements based on specs and various reviews without having actually touched an HTC One. I am very confident that I will be getting the phone in the next several weeks when it gets released here in the states. The few concerns that I have had have been squashed by you satisfaction of the phone from your experience thus far.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Sadly no stores here have display models yet.. But im talking about how long the shutter stays open. Because in some cameras if you are doing a backflip somewhere itll just give you a huge motion blur of crap haha so i was curious if the shutter was real quick and could actually capture that photo instead of just getting a huge blur

Tomorrow i'll try to remember to take a photo of a car driving along or something then post on here

Sent from my HTC One

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Russ - I just want to thank you for taking so much time on the forums talking about the phone and answering questions. It has been refreshing hearing it first hand how the phone performs and the features it has, as opposed to many on the forums who have been making judgements based on specs and various reviews without having actually touched an HTC One. I am very confident that I will be getting the phone in the next several weeks when it gets released here in the states. The few concerns that I have had have been squashed by you satisfaction of the phone from your experience thus far.

Ditto.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams