Straight Talk & HTC One - Best option - HTC One? Unlocked??

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought Straight Talk is a MVNO of ATT

Sorry LTE should have been after AT&T. Come to think of it though, isn't straight talking killing off the AT&T sim cards already?

Yes it is but they've been migrating to T-Mobile. Check out their site. They have several things going on for users to bring their T-Mobile phones. Net10 is doing it as well. I think att been cracking down on the data usage and these companies are moving so they can still offer the services because tmobile isn't as strict at the moment.

You can still get att compatible sims online at like eBay or amazon but it looks like they aren't selling them directly anymore. And you can most likely expect throttling as well. Net10 already posted that as of march 1st users with att sims will be hard capped at 1.5 gigs and are offering to switch over to T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the unlocked htc 32gb one. They were sold out of the t-mobile one. Will I be able to recieve 4g? I have a lg g2x that does. If the HTC wont then I need to cancel it.

If the 1900 band is in your area then you will receive 3g/hspa. If not then no. Your G2X is compatible with the 1700 band so that's why it gets it. If LTE is in your area then you should be fine there as well.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Aside from the whole updates and bloatware(oh and the freaking no 64gb!), I still believe an unlocked T-Mobile One is the best of all of them. Although im still considering getting that DE 64GB model. It would suck to have a $650 phone and be stuck on EDGE!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't the 32GB unlocked One also provide full functionality on either network?

Not if a person doesn't have 1900 in their area. As we've been discussing the unlocked and dev versions do not have T-Mobile 1700 band so its not fully functional where only 1700 is available. An unlocked T-Mobile version would have 1700 and 1900 therefore making it the most complete of any of the versions and also compatible with att bands.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Not if a person doesn't have 1900 in their area. As we've been discussing the unlocked and dev versions do not have T-Mobile 1700 band so its not fully functional where only 1700 is available. An unlocked T-Mobile version would have 1700 and 1900 therefore making it the most complete of any of the versions and also compatible with att bands.

And I just don't understand why HTC didn't just release the unlocked ones with all the bands.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
And I just don't understand why HTC didn't just release the unlocked ones with all the bands.

Agreed. I just think they make more of the ones with the band for att so its probably easier for them. Really T-Mobile is on a weird combination of bands and this is part of the reason its been so long for them to get the iPhone. Its like they just realized last year that manufacturers will not prioritize their network. Good thing is that they finally recognized that and hence we have the reforming. I would think in a couple of months it won't even be an issue.

Last edited:

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a HTC One? Unlocked phone from HTC website. I'm on straight talk. Was that the right choice? So far I'm very happy with straight talk with my T-mobile compatible sim. I don't miss LTE. Anyway, did I order the correct phone?

Any techies know ?

If you have service directly from AT&T or T-Mobile, the following applies. Currently, it will get 3G(4G) and LTE on AT&T. It will get LTE for T-Mobile. If you live in a 1900 Mhz refarmed T-Mobile area, you'll get 3G(4G).

I pre-ordered an unlocked One yesterday. I still have an AT&T StraightTalk sim, so I'll get 3G(4G). Since you have a T-Mobile StraightTalk sim, you'll only get Edge speeds unless you live in a refarmed area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

scafalero

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I have no clue on which HTC One I should purchase along with which Sim card to order from straight talk. I would be very grateful if someone could possibly lead me in the right direction of which one I should buy. I'm currently staying in North Dakota and I know my prepaid att go phone didn't get any reception here, but my friend does have a droid he purchased at walmart with straight that has good coverage here. I know his doesn't use a sim card so I'm a little confused which sim and phone combo I should purchase. I just need it to have signal and don't care too much about internet speeds. Thanks so much again.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys! I have no clue on which HTC One I should purchase along with which Sim card to order from straight talk. I would be very grateful if someone could possibly lead me in the right direction of which one I should buy. I'm currently staying in North Dakota and I know my prepaid att go phone didn't get any reception here, but my friend does have a droid he purchased at walmart with straight that has good coverage here. I know his doesn't use a sim card so I'm a little confused which sim and phone combo I should purchase. I just need it to have signal and don't care too much about internet speeds. Thanks so much again.

Straight Talk is only selling T-Mobile SIM cards now, so that moots the question of which SIM to get unless you have another source for AT&T Straight Talk SIMs (for example, a Walmart that is still selling them) .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

scafalero

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey thank you for responding! So I figure the easiest way to get "straightalk" to work for me is by purchasing the "unlocked" version straight off of the HTC website. Is that the right move? I believe straighttalk offers two options of sim cards at the moment, which are: "unlocked GSM phone" and "T-mobile compatible phone". Which would work with the unlocked version I'm purchasing? I looked up straighttalks converage for my area and it's great, but I still don't have a clue of "bands" or what not ya'll talk about... So now I'm asking which sim I should purchase with my unlocked version of the HTC One. I'm temporarily living in Beulah, North Dakota if that helps. Also, willing to purchase any sim card that would make the HTC One work for my area. Thanks again!

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

If you don't want to flash radios on a developer version then wait for tmo version. Dev will work on tmo but only refarmed 1900 or new lte.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey thank you for responding! So I figure the easiest way to get "straightalk" to work for me is by purchasing the "unlocked" version straight off of the HTC website. Is that the right move? I believe straighttalk offers two options of sim cards at the moment, which are: "unlocked GSM phone" and "T-mobile compatible phone". Which would work with the unlocked version I'm purchasing? I looked up straighttalks converage for my area and it's great, but I still don't have a clue of "bands" or what not ya'll talk about... So now I'm asking which sim I should purchase with my unlocked version of the HTC One. I'm temporarily living in Beulah, North Dakota if that helps. Also, willing to purchase any sim card that would make the HTC One work for my area. Thanks again!

The catch with Straight Talk is that regardless of whether you tell them your phone is GSM unlocked or T-Mobile compatible, the only SIM card they will show you is for the T-Mobile compatible one, because they're no longer selling AT&T compatible SIMs (which is what they used to offer for unlocked GSM phones). It doesn't appear that T-Mobile has refarmed their 1900MHz spectrum in your area, so that means the only real way to get 100% functionality on Straight Talk is to buy a T-Mobile HTC One and use the T-Mobile compatible SIM.

Edit: for a prepaid operator that may work 100% with the unlocked version, you might try H2O wireless or Pure Talk USA. You can also Google "AT&T MVNOs" to find some others, but make sure it's a recent list, because I think AT&T has been dumping some prepaid carriers as of late. Also be aware that prepaid operators that piggyback on AT&T's network generally don't get access to AT&T's LTE, so you'd be stuck running 3G and HSPA+ only.

Last edited:

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it's possible for HTC to release an update that turns on the 1700 HSPA band in the dev edition. Anybody know if that band is "built-in"? I've heard conflicting information about such a thing.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it's possible for HTC to release an update that turns on the 1700 HSPA band in the dev edition. Anybody know if that band is "built-in"? I've heard conflicting information about such a thing.

Based on the specs on the HTC site, the developer and unlocked edition radios don't actually support those bands. I suppose it's possible that they actually use the same chip as the T-Mobile version and just have certain frequencies disabled at the firmware level, but I just don't know.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Tapatalk 2

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Based on the specs on the HTC site, the developer and unlocked edition radios don't actually support those bands. I suppose it's possible that they actually use the same chip as the T-Mobile version and just have certain frequencies disabled at the firmware level, but I just don't know.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Tapatalk 2

The only reason I speculate is because of how the Note 2 got an update a while back that made it compatible with certain LTE bands. I don't know if the Note 2 was already listed as being compatible with what it got, but we know it's possible to flip the switch on smartphone radio bands. We'll see I guess.

alus415

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Aside from the whole updates and bloatware(oh and the freaking no 64gb!), I still believe an unlocked T-Mobile One is the best of all of them. Although im still considering getting that DE 64GB model. It would suck to have a $650 phone and be stuck on EDGE!

Yup the T mobile phone will be the best one , I'm with ATT and wanted to buy the Tmobile one because it has all the bands but even if you pay in full Tmobile will not unlock the phone until after 40+ days , someone like me I still have 1 year contract left then i would have to pay ETF to ATT if I switch , so I'm just going to have to stick with ATT for 1 more year and sell the unlocked next year and switch to Tmobile and get a new device HTC TWO ? =0 , S5 or Iphone6 .

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I speculate is because of how the Note 2 got an update a while back that made it compatible with certain LTE bands. I don't know if the Note 2 was already listed as being compatible with what it got, but we know it's possible to flip the switch on smartphone radio bands. We'll see I guess.

You may very well be right. According to iFixit's teardown (of what I presume is the European version, or maybe Asian), the One uses the same baseband chip as the Nexus 4, and if I'm not mistaken, the Nexus 4 supported both AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies. I guess HTC could have purchased a different baseband chip for each version of the phone, but it seems like it'd be a lesser PITA to just use the same hardware in each phone and disable certain frequencies in software.

scafalero

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey thank you for the advice! I've decided to go ahead and order the HTC One off of T-mobile a long with a micro SIM card from walmart. I hope this combination works out for me. Do you have an idea of which date speeds I'll be receiving? Nonetheless, thank you for your time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae