Anandtech gives HTC One an Editors Choice Gold Award

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I agree that reviewers should seek to be as objective as possible.

But it would be extremely hard to write a review on a product without offering your personal opinion. A review like that would be so dry as to read like an academic research paper.

Simply making a statement such as: "I like the screen on the HTC One" would be offering a personal subjective opinion and hence break neutrality. To stay neutral, you can only state provable facts and nothing else.

Also, you don't have to buy into the 'hyperbole' statements. Almost every section of that review has real world data / benchmark comparisons where you can judge for yourself. I've yet to see another review that has offer so much data for the reader to make an objective decision. If you can find one, you are welcome to post it in the forum for the benefit of everyone here.

I know, I've already stated that it would be pretty difficult to do. It just doesn't look like the attempt was made all too well. And I'm on my phone right now but you can google search *insert phone here* anandtech review and get reviews just like it. Anandtech goes into deep detail in just about every phone they review. For example, I just checked their iPhone 5 review and it has 22 pages.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you've never been to Anandtech you are doing yourself a disservice. They do deep indepth writing on everything they look at and write about. Indispensable.

jmwein

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In case I wasn't clear before, I've already read it. I waited to post my thoughts on it upon reading it. You might be okay with it because it justifies your purchase, but that statement completely challenges the validity of a review or follow up comparison of a phone that this reviewer manages to do in the future, which is what I care more about instead of some pissing contest between brands. I typically like to read reviews from reviewers who do just enough yet avoid letting their preferences take over the review, then draw my conclusions from theirs. At certain points this was too much, almost as if he achieved elysium itself. I know Anandtech has a very skilled way of writing and I know this phone is phenomenal and probably matches up with some of his assertion just from reading hands-on testimonials and things of the such from people who already have it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Brian Klug could've done without some of the hyperbole that is present in this body of work. I understand when writing out 17 pages on a single device that there's more than enough times for a slight bias to rear its head here and there, but when it shows it shows in this, seemingly a lot more than in other reviews. Maybe the phone is that great and he's never gushed over a product like it, I wouldn't know as I haven't held one. But there doesn't appear to be any attempt in neutrality from Mr. Klug in the near future. And from reading the reaction around other Android forums, a few have come across with the same feelings as I did, so I'm not the only one.

LOL what in the world are you talking about? If he loves a device so much, you don't expect him to express that in HIS review!? He stated all the facts and then explained WHY this device was superior/inferior to other devices on the market. When discussing this device against unreleased devices like the S4, it's not like he didn't have the opportunity to use them (even if it was just a short period). This review is completely based on the facts on hand and those same facts are used to formulate his opinion. No reviewer should ever just state facts...that's not how you review devices. It's the readers responsibility to look at the facts and the opinion of the writer and take from it what you will. I, for one, WANTED to hear Brian's personal opinion on the device b/c I respect him as a writer/reviewer and therefore wanted to know his personal thoughts. That's part of what differentiates one reviewer from another...how they relate to their audience and the detail and legitimacy in which they express their opinions/thoughts.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If you've never been to Anandtech you are doing yourself a disservice. They do deep indepth writing on everything they look at and write about. Indispensable.

Definitely.

LOL what in the world are you talking about? If he loves a device so much, you don't expect him to express that in HIS review!? He stated all the facts and then explained WHY this device was superior/inferior to other devices on the market. When discussing this device against unreleased devices like the S4, it's not like he didn't have the opportunity to use them (even if it was just a short period). This review is completely based on the facts on hand and those same facts are used to formulate his opinion. No reviewer should ever just state facts...that's not how you review devices. It's the readers responsibility to look at the facts and the opinion of the writer and take from it what you will. I, for one, WANTED to hear Brian's personal opinion on the device b/c I respect him as a writer/reviewer and therefore wanted to know his personal thoughts. That's part of what differentiates one reviewer from another...how they relate to their audience and the detail and legitimacy in which they express their opinions/thoughts.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Xsie,
Either you are a speed reader or you missed the drop down menu under the first page of the review. There are 17 pages altogether. edit: Okay, now I see you are on a tablet--sometimes they are formatted differently. I miss a lot on mine too.

You missed my UPDATE that I made only moments after my original post.....

I just went back n reread your post. Think it's time for me to start using the laptop in here.

And yes, an excellent review. Glad I was able to read entire review. Can not wait for my phone!!!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In case I wasn't clear before, I've already read it. I waited to post my thoughts on it upon reading it. You might be okay with it because it justifies your purchase, but that statement completely challenges the validity of a review or follow up comparison of a phone that this reviewer manages to do in the future, which is what I care more about instead of some pissing contest between brands. I typically like to read reviews from reviewers who do just enough yet avoid letting their preferences take over the review, then draw my conclusions from theirs. At certain points this was too much, almost as if he achieved elysium itself. I know Anandtech has a very skilled way of writing and I know this phone is phenomenal and probably matches up with some of his assertion just from reading hands-on testimonials and things of the such from people who already have it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Brian Klug could've done without some of the hyperbole that is present in this body of work. I understand when writing out 17 pages on a single device that there's more than enough times for a slight bias to rear its head here and there, but when it shows it shows in this, seemingly a lot more than in other reviews. Maybe the phone is that great and he's never gushed over a product like it, I wouldn't know as I haven't held one. But there doesn't appear to be any attempt in neutrality from Mr. Klug in the near future. And from reading the reaction around other Android forums, a few have come across with the same feelings as I did, so I'm not the only one.

Also, the Galaxy S4 isn't the only device that's being released from "contenders" this year. Look at the position that blanket statements can put you in.

I find it interesting that the only reason you're complaining is because he prefers the One over the S4. Unlike you he's actually used the S4.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting that the only reason you're complaining is because he prefers the One over the S4. Unlike you he's actually used the S4.

Interesting. I posted a pic of the One (I had preordered) on an iPhone forum I belong to and immediately got attacked by an Android owner who lambasted me for not choosing the S4 because of the "better specs." He accused me of choosing the One's better build quality over specs. Huh? That just came out of left field. Lucky for him I didn't lecture him about the "superiority" of the One's 2.1 MP front camera over the lowly 2.0 MP front camera of the S4. :D

I swear - some people (on both sides) are such spec whores. :p

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
You missed my UPDATE that I made only moments after my original post.....

I just went back n reread your post. Think it's time for me to start using the laptop in here.

And yes, an excellent review. Glad I was able to read entire review. Can not wait for my phone!!!

Xsie, I hate doing anything much on my tablet other than reading. Somehow I lose information and it takes me twice as long. Can't wait for my phone either!

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I find it interesting you came to that conclusion, only because I don't like the way the review was presented. But I guess me favoring the S4 or some other phone is an a lot more convenient excuse for not liking this review, right? Has nothing to do with the lack objectivity in some points, I guess. If he had wrote this review on the Galaxy S4 or any other phone and said he isn't interested in the competition, I'd be on the Samsung board or that phone's board complaining about it as well. Just like I was in The Verge comment section of the HTC One review, when they gave the One a poor battery review with only two days use on pre-production software.

"But nah, let's go with what's more convenient for me to explain. He doesn't like the review because the reviewer likes the One over the S4, even though he just might buy one if the black model is ever available." /sarcasm

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Let's not turn this into some argument over petty BS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it be Suda, someone else, or even the guy that wrote the review. That's why it's an opinion.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's not turn this into some argument over petty BS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether it be Suda, someone else, or even the guy that wrote the review. That's why it's an opinion.

Thanks, I really had no intentions of creating a long spill. I've already admitted it was a good read, just that it could've been different. But I also knew someone would take exception if I didn't have the popular opinion. And if it's one thing that's ridiculous to me it's brand loyalty. Seeing I don't have stock in Samsung or any other company, I'm not going to go out of my way to prop up a device and hate another. I want the better product that fits the most needs at the end of the day and could see both phones doing just that, which is why I'm considering both and also future phones.

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Generally, I try to get something different each time it's time for me to upgrade. I just enjoy mostly new experience. I had an iphone first gen, then I went to a samsung focus (WP7), then to my current galaxy nexus, now I'm going to try out HTC and Sense. All in all, I just want a well built device and a new experience. :)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What a great review.

Extremely detailed, posts facts about the phone (screen/performance/camera etc) along with pretty detailed thoughts.

Anandtech really do write the best reviews on devices. Glad to see the One receiving such a great review, I'll definitely be picking one up (pardon the pun).

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I hope HTC with a different type of digitizer on the One than it used on the DNA. Being able to the the grid with the screen on was a let-down.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope HTC with a different type of digitizer on the One than it used on the DNA. Being able to the the grid with the screen on was a let-down.

What are you doing that you can see the grid? I have never seen it on my dna.

Also, a visible grid in some situations is a fact of life with phones that have separate touch layers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood