Beats Audio on HTC One

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think Beats Audio, generally, is a con and their stuff is trash - having said that, the HTC One is far and away the best audio on a phone I have ever experienced. Even the cheapo headphones you get with the phone are pretty damn good. Listening to the calssic album by the Moody Blues, 'Days of future passed' on headphones is simply fantastic on the One using headphones. In fact, I have bought a pair of the HTC 'Professional' earbuds with 3 buttons (?15) which are a bargain.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It may not be much different then someone who tweaks their phones and can download their own equalizerbut right out of the box with no tweaking the HTC one has the best speakers out now

Sent from my HTC One

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
DS1331 - I kinda agree - any 'equalizer' adjustments to sound are always a compromise. I used to listen to things called 'music cassettes' back in the 70s/80s and they had this thing called 'Dolby'... which basically removed hiss by muffling the sound. If I wanted a pair of underpants stuffed into my speakers, I would ram them in there....

But seriously, if you complain about free earbuds, try listening to a pair of the original Sony walkman headphones... you'll never complain again!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
DS1331 - I kinda agree - any 'equalizer' adjustments to sound are always a compromise. I used to listen to things called 'music cassettes' back in the 70s/80s and they had this thing called 'Dolby'... which basically removed hiss by muffling the sound. If I wanted a pair of underpants stuffed into my speakers, I would ram them in there....

But seriously, if you complain about free earbuds, try listening to a pair of the original Sony walkman headphones... you'll never complain again!

I happen to be one of those old school audiophiles and I have an awesome cassette collection mostly consisting of TDK-MAXGs. They were all recorded with a Nakamichi DR7 in Dolby c nr... And, I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "muffled?" Those cassettes sound damn near as good as the digital source they were recorded from... TODAY! In fact, mp3 recordings sound muffled compared to those old cassette recordings.... Just saying! This is an old school shout out! Lol!

Posted via Android Central App

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys knocking Beats don't have a One or are audiophile snobs.

I use headphones with my One daily, and I also have an audio jack wired into my car head unit. It sounds better than every other .mp3 player/phone I've plugged in. Including an old 5g iPod.

Beats is great on this phone, imo.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I happen to be one of those old school audiophiles and I have an awesome cassette collection mostly consisting of TDK-MAXGs. They were all recorded with a Nakamichi DR7 in Dolby c nr... And, I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "muffled?" Those cassettes sound damn near as good as the digital source they were recorded from... TODAY! In fact, mp3 recordings sound muffled compared to those old cassette recordings.... Just saying! This is an old school shout out! Lol!

And they will continue to...until the tape degrades.

Many CD's are produced at low bitrates. The only "acceptable" digital music is FLAC or lossless, and I don't know of any streaming service that hits those rates. I think the best you get is 128.

topekomsi

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I am blown away by how loud and crisp the htc one sounds (w/beats enabled) but then again im not a master race audiophile.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

RyanMXA

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It sounds......great. turn it off and it sounds.....not great.

Even with headphones the difference is substantial.

Sent from The One

Gearry Waasdorp

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Most phones can play .flac. So why go from flac to .mp3 if you can play the 'original' flac?

hmm, why didn't this reaction show up under the post I reacted on? Ah, forgot to include the quote -_-

Gearry Waasdorp

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Those of us of a "certain age" will recognize Beats as a glorified version of the old-school "loudness" button you used to find on home and auto receivers. That said, what you get out of it is highly dependant on the kind of music you listen to and the quality of your headphones.

I have a decent set of UE in-ear headphones, and I tend to keep all of my mp3's at 320 kbps converted from FLAC if at all possible. I actually like the Beats EQ, when de-tuned slightly with PowerAmp (I have to nudge the bass and mid-bass down slightly to take a bit of the "mud" out of the sound). I feel like it gives a little bit of life to the music.

As noted earlier, we are talking about playing mp3's on a phone, so no-one should be expecting anything close to audiophile quality sound. It just boils down to your own personal preference.

Most phones can play .flac. So why go from flac to .mp3 if you can play the 'original' flac?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

It's mostly a matter of available storage. And I don't feel that the DAC on my phone combined with my mid-range headphones can resolve a discernible difference between a 320 mp3 and a flac of the same file.

BTW, you quoted a post from nearly a year ago?

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
And they will continue to...until the tape degrades.

Many CD's are produced at low bitrates. The only "acceptable" digital music is FLAC or lossless, and I don't know of any streaming service that hits those rates. I think the best you get is 128.

Pandora "high" is at least 256 Kbps (supposedly 320 kbps), iTunes Radio is 256 Kbps, and Spotify has 320 Kbps option for paying customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a set of UR Beats by Dre. And I get incredible base. I also took one of the studio beats and unplugged it from the best buy sound testing system and plugged it into my phone and it was better on my phone in regards to clarity. I could hear more sounds from the phone than I could from the sound system at best buy, however I don't know what type of sound system best buy had it plugged into because it was behind a wall where there were multiple headsets plugged in. I was the only person using the sound system at the best buy store.

HTC One>galaxy>iPhone

If you think the Galaxy has a better DAC than an iPhone, you really don't know what you're talking about. GSMarena has audio quality test and the iPhone 4 has one of the better DAC of any mobile device, better than some "audiophile" grade equipment with the HTC Sensation XL/ Butterfly in similar following. The Galaxy S4 heavily improves on the S3 but the iPhone 4 is a bit better (flat is better, curvy is not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol