HTC profits smacked due to delay

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
While that is concerning...One sales should pull them through next quarter. If they continue to struggle, I'll start wondering when software upgrades will be slowed due to cash-flow problems.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
While that is concerning...One sales should pull them through next quarter. If they continue to struggle, I'll start wondering when software upgrades will be slowed due to cash-flow problems.

I've wondered about that too. I wonder how much cash they actually have on hand?

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Every day the One isn't on the shelves while the S4 is still awaiting to be released is money out the door.

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else a little worried the future of HTC? HTC profits smacked by delayed launch of HTC One - CNET Mobile

Now they are launching the One up against the heavily marketed S4.

Wow, those numbers are horrible... I didn't realize how badly they were doing. It also didn't cross my mind how critical a March release was for their first quarter bottom line... this really hurts!

I'm glad the One seems to be a phone that is in a class of its own & has received very enthusiastic professional and personal reviews. If it were an upgrade along the lines of the GS4 from the GS3, I think HTC would be sunk. Even so, I am concerned for HTC's sake about their future...

I've always loved HTC's products & have been personally marketing the One as much as possible to people I know... I just hope that they weather the bad quarter & that Q2 is really significant for them. It would be a real loss if they ended up going under.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, those numbers are horrible... I didn't realize how badly they were doing. It also didn't cross my mind how critical a March release was for their first quarter bottom line... this really hurts!

I'm glad the One seems to be a phone that is in a class of its own & has received very enthusiastic professional and personal reviews. If it were an upgrade along the lines of the GS4 from the GS3, I think HTC would be sunk. Even so, I am concerned for HTC's sake about their future...

I've always loved HTC's products & have been personally marketing the One as much as possible to people I know... I just hope that they weather the bad quarter & that Q2 is really significant for them. It would be a real loss if they ended up going under.

That's the problem though--while we can say the phone is fantastic on its merits, I'm not sure I can recommend a phone to friends from a company that's struggling so tremendously. Smartphone contracts dictate that people are usually stuck with a phone for two years, I'm not sure I'd want to be responsible for them ending up with a zombie phone.

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem though--while we can say the phone is fantastic on its merits, I'm not sure I can recommend a phone to friends from a company that's struggling so tremendously. Smartphone contracts dictate that people are usually stuck with a phone for two years, I'm not sure I'd want to be responsible for them ending up with a zombie phone.

I totally see where you're coming from and can't argue with your logic BUT I'm looking at it from the other side of the coin. I want them to succeed & believe in the quality of their product. They'll need all the help they can get, so when friends or family ask for my recommendation, I am going to show them my phone & encourage them to consider it. I'm pretty tech-y & this news isn't stopping me from getting the One. IF HTC goes under, the phone won't be rendered completely useless anyway...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I totally see where you're coming from and can't argue with your logic BUT I'm looking at it from the other side of the coin. I want them to succeed & believe in the quality of their product. They'll need all the help they can get, so when friends or family ask for my recommendation, I am going to show them my phone & encourage them to consider it. I'm pretty tech-y & this news isn't stopping me from getting the One. IF HTC goes under, the phone won't be rendered completely useless anyway...

It might be since it's already shipping with an outdated version of Android and probably won't get upgraded to Key Lime Pie as quickly as it's chief competitor.

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It might be since it's already shipping with an outdated version of Android and probably won't get upgraded to Key Lime Pie as quickly as it's chief competitor.

OK, but that outdated version of Android still works, right?

Most people wouldn't even have a clue what Key Lime Pie even is...

acrewdog

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Lots of companies survive while losing money, at least HTC is still in the black.

At least they aren't in Kim Jong Un's line of fire, like Samsung. It's really hard to get updates if your company is based within artillery range of a hostile nation with nukes.
(Of course the China issue could come up but not this week)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If it were an upgrade along the lines of the GS4 from the GS3, I think HTC would be sunk.

The gs3 to gs4 was a logical upgrade and people right it off because it's not a completely different case design, although it's a bigger screen and thinner than the S3, it looks similar.

If I was in the market for an htc and was Ok with no sd or removable battery I would have preferred to see a spec bump of the dna. My personal preference would be the dna outsides with the one's gutts.

Sent from my Note 2

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, but that outdated version of Android still works, right?

Most people wouldn't even have a clue what Key Lime Pie even is...

I respectfully disagree. The One already loses out to the S4 on many different specs and features. If Samsung is able to advertise that the S4 is running the latest version of Android (and whatever new bells and whistles Google comes up with) it will give the public yet another reason to choose the S4 over the One.

Hush Martin

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I just preordered mine yesterday, but all this nonsense is actually making me reconsider the decision. If it were nothing but phone to phone-- no worries about the company or future updates-- the One wins hands down, in my opinion. But updates and potential future problems (never mind warranty support!) is starting to spook me. Really am wishing I had a crystal ball at the moment.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Lots of companies survive while losing money, at least HTC is still in the black.

At least they aren't in Kim Jong Un's line of fire, like Samsung. It's really hard to get updates if your company is based within artillery range of a hostile nation with nukes.
(Of course the China issue could come up but not this week)

What?

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The gs3 to gs4 was a logical upgrade and people right it off because it's not a completely different case design, although it's a bigger screen and thinner than the S3, it looks similar.

If I was in the market for an htc and was Ok with no sd or removable battery I would have preferred to see a spec bump of the dna. My personal preference would be the dna outsides with the one's gutts.

Sent from my Note 2

My GS3 to GS4 comment was not meant to minimize any improvements that undoubtedly exist between the two. What I meant is that a quick look at the two phones doesn't show much difference.

The One, on the other hand, has a look and feel that separates it from other HTC phones (and other phones in general). Beyond that, I think that the camera, Zoe mode, Blinkfeed, and the loud, front-facing speakers are easy talking points which set the One apart from the competition.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My GS3 to GS4 comment was not meant to minimize any improvements that undoubtedly exist between the two. What I meant is that a quick look at the two phones doesn't show much difference.

The One, on the other hand, has a look and feel that separates it from other HTC phones (and other phones in general). Beyond that, I think that the camera, Zoe mode, Blinkfeed, and the loud, front-facing speakers are easy talking points which set the One apart from the competition.

So if we assume that the one ships, sells well, has no major hiccups technically and htc makes enough money to make a follow-up to the one. What should that phone look like? You can't re invent the wheel every few months with a totally revamped design (that was htc's past strategy). They made the one different to disassociate it with past failures

Sent from my Note 2

indomie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. The One already loses out to the S4 on many different specs and features. If Samsung is able to advertise that the S4 is running the latest version of Android (and whatever new bells and whistles Google comes up with) it will give the public yet another reason to choose the S4 over the One.

I see your point. People (myself included) do want the latest and greatest. I guess personal brand preference and the specific features you're interested in determine who wins or loses between the two phones. I could also say that the S4 loses out to the One on many different specs and features.

I'm actually really happy that the S4 and the One are so different. It gives us the chance to research & choose a phone that best suits our wants & needs. Don't like TouchWiz? Maybe you'll like Sense. Can't live without a removable batt/memory card? S4 is your phone. I like being able to go down the list of pros & cons for both phones and make a decision that I am happy with. For my friends who are diehard Samsung fans, I am glad that the next version of their S3 looks like it is also taking it to the next level.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the fine folks over at HTC have a more general sense of business than I do, but no one at HTC ever foresaw anything like this ever potentially happening? HTC has been bleeding for a while now and no one ever thought of doing anything different? How do you even stand to lose $361 million in just one year, like how do you let that happen? That isn't just something that happens without you eventually getting a sense of "OK, maybe we aren't doing something right". I know the main reason has to do with HTC phones not selling, but once they have the plans drawn up does HTC just absolutely have to continue production on them? Idk, I'm just talking now. But my eyes got big when I read that deficit.

Idk, but it's going to take multiple HTC One-like phones to fix this, this phone isn't going to be enough. But hopefully it buys them enough time to make another. In the event it doesn't, couldn't someone buy them out and merge? Sort of like Google/Motorola? Maybe the phones would still receive support that way, but that isn't necessarily a guarantee.

Jesus. Get your **** together, HTC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995