aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The guy didn't know how to turn off the menu bar in settings for the home key behaviour? Granted it should be that way by default imo but that kills his cred as a serious reviewer to harp on it for several paragraphs and screenshots without an apparent clue you could get from a few seconds of googling...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanan

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
for those of you who already have the htc one.......Is that black bar thing really an issue on most apps you have?

I'm surprised its on the facebook app.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The poster clearly prefers TouchWiz, and should never have bought the One in the first place. It's like he never touched the phone before buying it. That's no reason to bash it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The poster clearly prefers TouchWiz, and should never have bought the One in the first place. It's like he never touched the phone before buying it. That's no reason to bash it.

Most people looking for an Android flagship will compare the One and S4/Note2. Thus, his comparisons are valid. Sure it may come down to personal preference but some of his complaints seem quite legit.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
for those of you who already have the htc one.......Is that black bar thing really an issue on most apps you have?

I'm surprised its on the facebook app.

Nope, wouldn't stock android have a 'home/multitasking/back button' bar anyway? Plus hopefully apps will get updated at some point

Sent from my HTC One

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Good thing I'm going to tinker with it anyway. I don't use others personal preferences to dictate my purchases. Most of this stuff is subjective to the user.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think "reviewers" missed the black bar thing. I just think most of us are smart enough to have known (for how long now?) that that's a side effect of non-compliant applications. If that keeps you from buying the phone? So be it.

If it keeps someone from doing crap "reviews" like that in the future, even better. :-/

sclRanger

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Whats my post count got to do with it? I have an account @ xda where I make most of my posts. You are just trolling and a samsung fanboy. The number of posts I have does not make that fact untrue.

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Most people looking for an Android flagship will compare the One and S4/Note2. Thus, his comparisons are valid. Sure it may come down to personal preference but some of his complaints seem quite legit.

The linked poster created a blog and posted to it just to complain about how the One didn't have TouchWiz, and probably sent links to all the tech sites, which is where the OP got this from. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you go around bashing it. I just don't get why people feel the need to do it, especially in the smartphone market. Maybe because it's such an emerging market. But the iPhone, Blackberry, and Windows Phone bashers were bad enough and now the Android community is turning on itself to bash different manufacturers. Just say the UI doesn't fit your use case and be done with it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Whats my post count got to do with it? I have an account @ xda where I make most of my posts. You are just trolling and a samsung fanboy. The number of posts I have does not make that fact untrue.

What is your evidence that I am a "Samsung" fan boy? I owned an Epic that I returned after 29 days and currently have a GS3 for less than a year and I am already looking for something newer and better. I have owned no other Samsung phones and have posts critical of my S3 over in that forum.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think "reviewers" missed the black bar thing. I just think most of us are smart enough to have known (for how long now?) that that's a side effect of non-compliant applications. If that keeps you from buying the phone? So be it.

If it keeps someone from doing crap "reviews" like that in the future, even better. :-/

Phil, what about items 2-5? Are they legit complaints or totally subjective? He's not the first "reviewer" to slag the app tray, camera or lack of toggles in the notification area.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil, what about items 2-5? Are they legit complaints or totally subjective? He's not the first "reviewer" to slag the app tray, camera or lack of toggles in the notification area.

I would hardly consider that a "review." I think HTC should have quick settings in the notification pulldown, and I've told them as such on several occasions. HTC disagrees. I agree that the gallery app is confusing, and I've written so. Twice. But I also don't trust any "review" of a camera that doesn't show sample pics, ya know?

I also haven't quit using the HTC One yet. :p

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I would hardly consider that a "review." I think HTC should have quick settings in the notification pulldown, and I've told them as such on several occasions. HTC disagrees. I agree that the gallery app is confusing, and I've written so. Twice. But I also don't trust any "review" of a camera that doesn't show sample pics, ya know?

I also haven't quit using the HTC One yet. :p

But then we don't have your S4 review yet, so there's that. :p

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The way I look at it, if you see a black menu bar in an app, the app isn't worth using. If you stick to well written apps built by developers who know what they're doing, not only will there be no black menu bar, but you'll probably have a more enjoyable experience all around. The only app on my phone with legacy menu button support is the Bank of America app.

As for the settings toggles, I have a strong suspicion the One will get something very similar to the stock Android toggles introduced in 4.2 when the One is updated to 4.2.

The more I read that review, the more I laugh. He complains about the app drawer button being on the dock. Hellooo, welcome to Android! He complains about there not being enough settings, but then conveniently doesn't mention the setting to change the app drawer grid to 4x5 after complaining that it's only 3x4.

Last edited: