Phone Arena Camera Comparison

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The htc does look weaker in the camera department, works for what I want and still wouldn't want to lose zoes for the extra mp though

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The htc does look weaker in the camera department, works for what I want and still wouldn't want to lose zoes for the extra mp though

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

I will test drive the One and see if the camera if adequate enough for my needs. That's really the only thing I don't like and maybe the smallish screen. As much as I like the S4's bells and whistles, many of them probably would not be used at all or at least on a do or die basis.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The camera comparisons have been showing to be really inconsistent. I've seen some camera comparisons where the HTC One seemed to produce the best pictures, and then there have been reviews/comparisons where the photos look awful. These look pretty awful.

Even the reviews don't seem to be consistent, with some saying the camera is mediocre, and some praising the camera! You would think that such an objective feature as camera quality would have consistent reviews...

idgaf03

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Those are by far the worst comparison examples I've seen out of the One - I wonder why these differ so much from those on other sites? Maybe the device in question hadn't received the software update the supposedly increases camera quality.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Those are by far the worst comparison examples I've seen out of the One - I wonder why these differ so much from those on other sites? Maybe the device in question hadn't received the software update the supposedly increases camera quality.

I'm starting to think it really comes down to messing with the settings. Sounds like the out of the box auto stuff isn't ideal for adapting to every situation. Who knows though.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The camera comparisons have been showing to be really inconsistent. I've seen some camera comparisons where the HTC One seemed to produce the best pictures, and then there have been reviews/comparisons where the photos look awful. These look pretty awful.

Even the reviews don't seem to be consistent, with some saying the camera is mediocre, and some praising the camera! You would think that such an objective feature as camera quality would have consistent reviews...

From everything I've read, the consistent criticism is that the One's camera isnt very good in well lit outdoor situations and by and large lacks the detail and sharpness of other cameras. Most of the praise centers around the software gimmicks, the speed and low light pics. It really depends on what the user intends to use the camera for, if the camera is even an important feature.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I think the reason they are all over the place is because the camera IS totally subjective. I looked at the pics in that article and can honestly say that some of the HTC pics were the best of a given subject. Sometimes it was the S4 and a few times the iP5 or the Sony, though in low light settings the iP5 is a total dog. What I do realize, for myself, is this: the Nokia is overrated and the HTC sensor is what I would prefer. Everything else is software. It really is that simple, otherwise the Experia and the Sammy would be identical since they share the same sensor. There is noise in some of the HTC shots and it does have issues with blowing out darker images that are close to bright light sources, but that can be fixed with some tweaks to the post-processor. I think the potential that the bigger sensor has is exciting and will only improve once they start to tweak the software.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the reason they are all over the place is because the camera IS totally subjective. I looked at the pics in that article and can honestly say that some of the HTC pics were the best of a given subject. Sometimes it was the S4 and a few times the iP5 or the Sony, though in low light settings the iP5 is a total dog. What I do realize, for myself, is this: the Nokia is overrated and the HTC sensor is what I would prefer. Everything else is software. It really is that simple, otherwise the Experia and the Sammy would be identical since they share the same sensor. There is noise in some of the HTC shots and it does have issues with blowing out darker images that are close to bright light sources, but that can be fixed with some tweaks to the post-processor. I think the potential that the bigger sensor has is exciting and will only improve once they start to tweak the software.

Some of this is true HOWEVER, the lack of MPs will always dictate that the One falls short on zooms, crops and anything larger than 5x7. Again, perhaps for a lot of people that wont matter.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

they have the version on the last page of the review

HTC One - Android 4.1.2, Build number 1.28.401.7

thats the latest version available without installing a custom ROM i believe. the update from 1.27 to 1.28 was supposed to fix the camera though.

HTC One software update improves camera performance - GSMArena.com news

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Some of this is true HOWEVER, the lack of MPs will always dictate that the One falls short on zooms, crops and anything larger than 5x7. Again, perhaps for a lot of people that wont matter.
When cell phone cameras get optical zoom technology I will worry about zooming. Digital zoom sucks. Period. And I don't buy the 5X7 thing - I've printed bigger pictures with smaller cameras over the years with little loss of detail or sharpness.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I've read that the HTC One can take good pics in general--but that you must fiddle with the settings a lot more to get the best shot.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
O Boy Zomg who knew?!?

Attachments

• htc_one_two.jpg
    htc_one_two.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 472
  • htc_one_one.jpg
    htc_one_one.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 464
Last edited: