iPhone 5 owner making the switch, suggestions?

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am a long time iPhone owner. I use an iPad Mini for work, and have all my media on iTunes and other Mac products (iPhoto etc.). I am really excited for the HTC One. Are there some good resources on the web to get me up to date on Android? This is my first Android phone, and I would love to be able to sync all the stuff on my iphone, onto the One from my Mac. I have heard of a few programs to do that, are there some that you guys recommend?

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I think your best bet if you get the HTC One is to use the software they provide (HTC Sync Manager) that will transfer much of your iPhone's content on the One. It's kind of amazing what can be transferred actually. Local calendars, contacts, pictures and non DRM music and playlists. Look for the video here:

HTC One Feature Tour

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This site is one of the best resources to get you up to speed on Android in general, though there are others.

A great refresher or quick-look at the bigger components of the whole Android ecosystem:
Android A to Z: An Android Glossary | Android Central

You already know that the forums here kick ***, as long as you can navigate through the fanboys and the silly, yet heated, arguments. Unless you like those and then they can be very fun. Pay close attention to the stickys at the top, as I'm sure more will be added as this device is released worldwide:
HTC One - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Not an Apple guy personally, but I am in the minority even in my own house with that. The new version of HTC Sync is supposed to be great at all of the iPhone data transfer you may need. The FAQ'a on the HTC site are pretty informative:
HTC One can sync from your iPhone backup - Crave - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia
HTC Sync Manager

Easy way to sync your music, though it won't work for DRM-protected files:
How to sync iTunes music to Android devices

I don't use iTunes so I really don't care, but mp3 files are mp3 files. If you bought your music through iTunes, that's a different story - there is the option to go DRM-free w/ iTunes music, for a price. There are some programs out there as well, but they cost money and I'm not sure of the results you'd get. Others here would be more capable of speaking to that. I do know that you can always go old-school and burn those DRM-protected songs to an audio disk and then rip them back to your computer as mp3 files.

Good luck and welcome to Android!

Last edited:

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the responses. I am really looking forward to getting to know the phone and seeing what it can do. Are there any must have apps or mods for the phone? I am a big jailbreak fan, is rooting an HTC One as advantageous as jailbreaking an iPhone? I know iOS is much more closed off so maybe it isn't needed.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for the responses. I am really looking forward to getting to know the phone and seeing what it can do. Are there any must have apps or mods for the phone? I am a big jailbreak fan, is rooting an HTC One as advantageous as jailbreaking an iPhone? I know iOS is much more closed off so maybe it isn't needed.

Tethering and full phone backup are/were two big reasons to root. Backup can now be done without root. And so can tethering depending on the carrier and/or how shady you like to be.

On the One you'll also be able to rid yourself of Sense 5, if you like.

Prepare yourself to be anywhere from pleasantly surprised to flat-out amazed at the stuff Google Now will come up with.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This site is one of the best resources to get you up to speed on Android in general, though there are others.

A great refresher or quick-look at the bigger components of the whole Android ecosystem:
Android A to Z: An Android Glossary | Android Central

You already know that the forums here kick ***, as long as you can navigate through the fanboys and the silly, yet heated, arguments. Unless you like those and then they can be very fun. Pay close attention to the stickys at the top, as I'm sure more will be added as this device is released worldwide:
HTC One - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Not an Apple guy personally, but I am in the minority even in my own house with that. The new version of HTC Sync is supposed to be great at all of the iPhone data transfer you may need. The FAQ'a on the HTC site are pretty informative:
HTC One can sync from your iPhone backup - Crave - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia
HTC Sync Manager

I don't use iTunes so I really don't care, but mp3 files are mp3 files. If you bought your music through iTunes, that's a different story - there is the option to go DRM-free w/ iTunes music, for a price. There are some programs out there as well, but they cost money and I'm not sure of the results you'd get. Others here would be more capable of speaking to that. I do know that you can always go old-school and burn those DRM-protected songs to an audio disk and then rip them back to your computer as mp3 files.

Good luck and welcome to Android!

Doesn't google music take care of the iTunes purchased music? I thought so, but I never bought any music from apple, so I could be wrong.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't google music take care of the iTunes purchased music? I thought so, but I never bought any music from apple, so I could be wrong.
As long as it's DRM-free, it will. With iTunes Plus everything you get from them comes DRM-free, but it wasn't always like that so some people still have older files with DRM protections. As long as it's DRM-free, Google just matches the metadata and places a 320kbps mp3 version of that song in your cloud without actually uploading it.

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, all my music is DRM free so that works. Is there a desktop version of Google Music? I am uploading my music right now.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, all my music is DRM free so that works. Is there a desktop version of Google Music? I am uploading my music right now.
I don't understand the question? There is a desktop client for uploading and downloading your library, but I assume that's what you're using to upload right now. There isn't a desktop player, per se. But there are tons of excellent and free ones if that's what you're looking for. Musicmatch Jukebox used to be the shizzle and if you can find an older version it's still excellent, but I use Winamp now.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Man, just drag and drop all your media onto your phone lol. Export iTunes playlists and drop into the same folder and then you're done. Of course you can use apps to do syncing but I always find drag and drop the easiest and most convenient.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Google music is limited to 25K songs and there isn't an option to purchase more space. This is really frustrating. I'm planning on working around this by syncing my newly added music to the device manually.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am a long time iPhone owner. I use an iPad Mini for work, and have all my media on iTunes and other Mac products (iPhoto etc.). I am really excited for the HTC One. Are there some good resources on the web to get me up to date on Android? This is my first Android phone, and I would love to be able to sync all the stuff on my iphone, onto the One from my Mac. I have heard of a few programs to do that, are there some that you guys recommend?

Have a look at iSyncr. It's available from Google Play. Syncs all of your iTunes content to your phone - both via USB cable and wirelessly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Will iSyncr or DoubleTwist sync iPhoto albums as well?

Isyncr only does music and its not free for all your music. Have to get the paid version to sync all music. Double twist does both but my experience with it isn't that good. Takes forever and doesn't sync everything. I'm sure others have had good experience though. I just drag and drop now because its free and I know it works lol.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

Bias reduX

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Unless you are sporting some old iTunes music its all DRM free. Ever since the standard was bumped up to 256kbps the DRM was dropped.
You can pay a small fee to upgrade those old 128kbps to 256, I believe its like 30 cents.
Some of the songs that are "album-only" come out in a .m4p extension, just switch it to .m4a and you'll be good to go.

Movies, sadly, are still DRM protected.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
According to HTC One Review | TechnoBuffalo "One big gripe we have, however, is that T-Mobile and Sprint will support HTC?s amazing backup solution that makes it easy to move from another device, including the iPhone, to the HTC One. AT&T?s model, however, relies on AT&T?s own device backup software that isn?t as good."

I am hoping that is not the case but am not holding my breath.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463