Just used an HTC One

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had the joy of playing with the HTC One today in an AT&T store. It was GLORIOUS! My wife, who just upgraded to the Note II and is one week past the return time frame, was insanely jealous and asked me no less than 50 times if she 'did the right thing' in getting her phone. Now she's pretty tech savvy and wanted the Note II and has playfully mocked my 'upgrade' to her old iPhone 4. This phone is drop dead gorgeous. It is lightweight, an extremely solid build. I feel like I could throw it through a wall and it would be sitting on the other side shining like new.

The HTC One flies through apps like a steak knife through melted butter. The screen will make me go home and hate my LG 50" 1080p tv because it's not as pretty. Having to use my iPhone 4, which was as fast as a race car this morning, now seems labored and slow. I feel like I am missing an extension of myself. I held the HTC One and the Galaxy S3 at the same time and I felt like I could truly hold onto the HTC One whereas the same pressure on the S3 felt like it could crack in half. (I know it won't, but that's build quality for you.)

A quick list of pros/cons.

Pros:
- Build quality
- Screen dpi
- Screen brightness (in store, not sure about under the sun)
- Ergonomics (how the phone feels in hand)
- Sound (the speakers are NO joke)
- Aluminum build
- Camera

Cons:
- When pushing the phone it started running a little hot in around 5 minutes. Just enough to make my palms a little sweaty to the point where I would consider a case to prevent this. :(
- Camera (surprised?) While the camera definitely takes in more light and the colors are more natural there is a definite difference when zooming in. The picture definitely is not as sharp when cropping due to fewer megapixels but it's not a deal breaker. Definitely an improvement over the iPhone 4 and 4S but not quite on par with the iPhone 5.

Overall I would give the phone a 9/10 based on the 30 minutes I spent with it. The HTC One reminded me of how I felt when handling the first iPhone so many years ago. I would describe it as groundbreaking, amazing, incredible, and wonderful. I would also give the AT&T staff a 9/10 because every one of them came up to me and were almost begging for me to allow them to 'help' me with the phone. It is certainly very popular and I hope it sells as well as possible for HTC. They deserve it for making a phone that is near perfect.

Last edited:

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I just went into att also and played with it for about 15 min and it is amazing holy crap I love this I will never pick up a Samsung again if they keep making these phones like this the build quality and screen are just awesome. I had the same feeling it was like in 2007 when I held the first iphone it was nice guys and I have the note 2 and the s3 it blows both of them out of the water

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just for kicks I also spent about 15 minutes with the HTC First. The comparison is not pretty. I realize that the First is targeted towards a totally different market, however the performance gap was laughable. The camera was very sub-standard and while there wasn't much lag in operating the phone it was definitely slow enough while multitasking to be notable. The Facebook skin is ridiculous. I'm not a big facebook/twitter guy personally but the skin was probably the most useless 'function' I have ever seen on a phone.

Personally, I would quickly disable it and move initiate stock Android on the phone. While running stock (after I was able to disable the Facebook skin) the phone picked up the pace and it was able to do a respectable job. However having the option to pay an extra $100 for the One you receive:
- The aluminum build quality of the One
- Double the basic storage (32 GB vs 16 GB)
- Double the ram (2GB vs 1 GB)
- A higher dpi with a larger screen on the One
- Better viewing angles on the One
- Stereo sound
- A quad-core processor at a higher clock

Anybody who would purchase the First over the One is either a dumb teenager or didn't bother to look around the store and consider other options.

Last edited:

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
well, of course.. they both have the same resolution but one screen stretches the pixels by 45.3 more inches :)

nice review otherwise though

Haha thanks! It was my first review so I hope everybody enjoyed it. Feel free to share the review and add your thoughts!

Aldiggi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Haha thanks! It was my first review so I hope everybody enjoyed it. Feel free to share the review and add your thoughts!

I have mine on Pre order. Just hoping the camera does not disappoint. I have a 920, butterfly and just let go of my iphone 5 so the one has a lot to live up to. Thanks for the quick review.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have mine on Pre order. Just hoping the camera does not disappoint. I have a 920, butterfly and just let go of my iphone 5 so the one has a lot to live up to. Thanks for the quick review.
It's not going to be as good as the iPhone 5, but then, what is?

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from the AT&T Store. I played with all of their phones before getting to the HTC One. Here are my first impressions:

WOW! I was in shock at how well built the HTC One is! I have used iPhone 4, 4S, 5, Galaxy S3, Note 2 (currently) and this phone beats them all out in terms of solidity!
The screen is just amazing. The quality, color reproduction, and the smoothness of the Sense UI has got me going crazy. I was holding my Note 2 up to the phone and it was night and day in terms of difference: The HTC One was crafted to perfection - no wiggles on the buttons, no creaks, no nothing! My Note 2 creaks when I grip it, the volume rocker and power button was wiggly.

HTC hit it out of the park in terms of hardware - no lag whatsoever.

Now, the bad part: The camera. I am not convinced about the camera at all. The pictures look great on the HTC One's screen but I emailed myself a couple photos I took with the phone and on the computer, the quality isn't great. Zoe was fun to use and all of the features on the phone are great though.

OVERALL: If Verizon is getting this phone, I am getting it first day it is out. Hell, I'll break into the warehouse to get it.

transpo03

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Went to the ATT store here in Fargo ND and they have it out and if they would have had one in stock they would have sold it to me but i have to wait till next week
and i cant wait to get it

phra8lao

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just played with one at At&t too. Like everyone said, one word described it (Amazing!!!!). Watching youtube review and looking at pictures of it wont do any justice. You need to actually hold it to appreciate why everyone kept praising this device. I put my nexus 4 next to it and it was like night and day in term of built and screen quality. Since we love to compare every phone to the Iphone, I would say HTC one make Iphone look like a child toy. Can't wait to get it next week!!

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I also just played with the One. I am an avid iPhone user. You can look at my past posts. However, this phone is awesome. If the video camera is decent at concerts then I may get it. I love the iPhone 5's camera. That's what has kept me hooked. But this One is nice. It felt good and the screen was pure sexual.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from the AT&T Store. I played with all of their phones before getting to the HTC One. Here are my first impressions:

WOW! I was in shock at how well built the HTC One is! I have used iPhone 4, 4S, 5, Galaxy S3, Note 2 (currently) and this phone beats them all out in terms of solidity!
The screen is just amazing. The quality, color reproduction, and the smoothness of the Sense UI has got me going crazy. I was holding my Note 2 up to the phone and it was night and day in terms of difference: The HTC One was crafted to perfection - no wiggles on the buttons, no creaks, no nothing! My Note 2 creaks when I grip it, the volume rocker and power button was wiggly.

HTC hit it out of the park in terms of hardware - no lag whatsoever.

Now, the bad part: The camera. I am not convinced about the camera at all. The pictures look great on the HTC One's screen but I emailed myself a couple photos I took with the phone and on the computer, the quality isn't great. Zoe was fun to use and all of the features on the phone are great though.

OVERALL: If Verizon is getting this phone, I am getting it first day it is out. Hell, I'll break into the warehouse to get it.

Dang, almost everyone questions the camera.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It's not going to be as good as the iPhone 5, but then, what is?

There are several phones better than the iPhone 5 IMO. Including the One. Don't get me wrong the 5 is a great phone but its not the best. No way. Plus a post like that could be considered trolling in this forum. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk HD

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There are several phones better than the iPhone 5 IMO. Including the One. Don't get me wrong the 5 is a great phone but its not the best. No way. Plus a post like that could be considered trolling in this forum. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Best is always subjective when it comes to this stuff lol. Everyone proclaims something to be the best but all that matters is how you feel.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Sent using Tapatalk HD

I was referring to the camera. There isn't much debate the iPhone 5 camera is tops.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
For me the camera is not a big think to make me buy the one..for my normal use I like the web reading ,watch movie,,listen music and the one fit me perfectly...plus beautiful build quality..the one that the only phone to get for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes