Just how much plastic is there?

Ted Ockels

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

It seems that there may be more plastic on this phone than I originally thought.

My impression before today: All aluminum phone except for the glass screen and the white plastic bands on the back of the phone for the antennae. (Basically no plastic at all)
My impression as of today after reading more posts: All aluminum back with plastic sides adhered to the glass screen. (sides meaning the areas that house the volume rocker, headphone jack, and power button). And of course the plastic bands on the back of the phone for the antennae.

Now which of these descriptions is more accurate for this phone? Due to screen lighting, I really can't tell from images if the sides are machined metal or a soft off-white plastic.

Really having second thoughts if there is that much plastic! Someone straighten me out.

Thanks.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just left the store looking at the one for a second time its mostly metal AMD sides was some kind of plastic...and screen looks small to me....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ted Ockels

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Well that confirms my fear. Looks like it has quite a bit of plastic. Doesn't seem very unibody aluminum to me... or maybe I don't know what that term means

At this point all I can do is wait for it to arrive at my door and hope it's stunning to hold and use. Probably making too big of a deal out of this.

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well that confirms my fear. Looks like it has quite a bit of plastic. Doesn't seem very unibody aluminum to me... or maybe I don't know what that term means

At this point all I can do is wait for it to arrive at my door and hope it's stunning to hold and use. Probably making too big of a deal out of this.

I think the fact that it's so hard to tell from pictures is all the confirmation I'd need. Obviously it can't be that plasticky if you can't tell.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. Didn't we always know that those plastic sides housed the antenna? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. I am thankful for those pieces of plastic, as both the Iphone 4 and 4s have documented connectivity issues. Consumers Reports flat out refuses to discuss the Iphone 4 because of it.
Here is a quote from that teardown document for the One-

"Step 16
The daughterboard remains, but there is still a mystery left unsolved.
No phone operates without antennas, and antennas don't transmit signals well through metal walls. Considering that this daughterboard is on the receiving end of the motherboard's antenna cables and sits directly under the plastic bezel at the top of the phone, we're thinking it has something to do with wireless signals.
See those three spring contacts along the top of the board? They meet the rear case in an area obscured by the plastic bezel. If we had to guess, that's where HTC put the antennas."

Ted Ockels

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. Didn't we always know that those plastic sides housed the antenna? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. I am thankful for those pieces of plastic, as both the Iphone 4 and 4s have documented connectivity issues. Consumers Reports flat out refuses to discuss the Iphone 4 because of it.
Here is a quote from that teardown document for the One-

"Step 16
The daughterboard remains, but there is still a mystery left unsolved.
No phone operates without antennas, and antennas don't transmit signals well through metal walls. Considering that this daughterboard is on the receiving end of the motherboard's antenna cables and sits directly under the plastic bezel at the top of the phone, we're thinking it has something to do with wireless signals.
See those three spring contacts along the top of the board? They meet the rear case in an area obscured by the plastic bezel. If we had to guess, that's where HTC put the antennas."

I just always thought that the "white plastic strips" at the back of the phone were for the NFC and antenna. I never understood that the sides of the phone were plastic too. Just news to me. I'm not overly worried about it... if I hate it I'll just return it for something else.

Ted Ockels

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
"Unibody" is a subjective definition... Doesn't have to be combination of same exact material - for example cars may use different grades of steel in their unibody frame. Just don't focus much on marketing descriptions - wait for the phone and see for yourself if it is "pleasant" for YOU to hold it and look at it.

I swear people called it an aluminum unibody which would mean it is constructed of one piece of aluminum. If people are saying aluminum unibody and then there is plastic in that same unibody... seems a little like trickery to me.

Not mad... just disappointed at the moment :(

mge92

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
The HTC ONE is unibody construction because the whole metal body is made with one piece of metal and then HTC uses plastic to form into the places they mill so that they can embed antennas so in reality it is just one piece of metal. The plastic bits like on the back and the side are added on top of the metal body.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it'll be very hard to get a full aluminum case and not have issues with radios. Apple is only able to do this because the antennas are outside the phone. I think the amount of plastic is very minimum but necessary c

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The HTC ONE is unibody construction because the whole metal body is made with one piece of metal and then HTC uses plastic to form into the places they mill so that they can embed antennas so in reality it is just one piece of metal. The plastic bits like on the back and the side are added on top of the metal body.

Mge92, if the plastic is on top of the metal, that would still make it impervious to signal, right? What would be the point of putting embedded antennas on top of something impervious? I am having a hard time understand this, but then I have no technical expertise to speak of. I do notice that you got a thumbs up from Habib, though, and I consider him somewhat of a guru. It doesn't mean that you are not, just that this is the first time I have seen your name.

On another subject, I just ran over to the Att store. I was able to play with the phone for a while, mostly the camera. I was extremely impressed. The only photos I was able to take were of the rep that was helping me, and those were outstanding. We were in a very bright storefront with a lot of windows and bright fluorescent lighting. My pictures were great. I did have a hard time holding on to the phone while I was taking pictures, and the tethering may have had something to do with that. It did make me think that I would probably need an otterbox rather than some minimalistic case, though. I do have small hands. And no, it didn't have a small screen. it was in close proximity to the note 2 and while it was smaller than the note, it was still huge.

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Only half of the back is aluminum on the iPhone 5.. the whole phone is still glass..

But i don't think we would ever have a 100% phone made out of metal due to the fact that we have radios etc.

But it is unibody if you ask me.. since the phone body minus the screen is still just one part of metal and the screens sits on top.. but we can debate all day about this

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Mge92, if the plastic is on top of the metal, that would still make it impervious to signal, right? What would be the point of putting embedded antennas on top of something impervious? I am having a hard time understand this, but then I have no technical expertise to speak of. I do notice that you got a thumbs up from Habib, though, and I consider him somewhat of a guru. It doesn't mean that you are not, just that this is the first time I have seen your name.

On another subject, I just ran over to the Att store. I was able to play with the phone for a while, mostly the camera. I was extremely impressed. The only photos I was able to take were of the rep that was helping me, and those were outstanding. We were in a very bright storefront with a lot of windows and bright fluorescent lighting. My pictures were great. I did have a hard time holding on to the phone while I was taking pictures, and the tethering may have had something to do with that. It did make me think that I would probably need an otterbox rather than some minimalistic case, though. I do have small hands. And no, it didn't have a small screen. it was in close proximity to the note 2 and while it was smaller than the note, it was still huge.

I REALLY loved the OIS! I went to snap a pic of the One with my Evo 3D and it was way shaky and blurry and then I remembered about OIS so I took the one and took a pic of my Evo 3D and wow does OIS make a difference!

Sent on my dying Evo 3D

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I REALLY loved the OIS! I went to snap a pic of the One with my Evo 3D and it was way shaky and blurry and then I remembered about OIS so I took the one and took a pic of my Evo 3D and wow does OIS make a difference!

Sent on my dying Evo 3D

No fair using actual hands-on experience with the One. We'd rather hear second-hand rumors and innuendo...

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Having played with the phone yesterday, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the use of plastic once you have it in your hands. Yes, the sides are the injected molded plastic, but it's not at all like what you are accustomed to from other manufacturers. The phone was SOLID and where plastic was used, it felt like quality. For me, it wasn't at all what I think of when I hear the word "plastic". I really don't think you'll be disappointed in this regard once you have it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

mge92

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Mistyisland, the HTC One has connections through the unibody and connect to the plastic, basically very small cables going through the metal body and entering the plastic which is how the signals get out. The antennas in the plastic go through the holes through the metal body and connect to the circuit board.

Ted Ockels

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Having played with the phone yesterday, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the use of plastic once you have it in your hands. Yes, the sides are the injected molded plastic, but it's not at all like what you are accustomed to from other manufacturers. The phone was SOLID and where plastic was used, it felt like quality. For me, it wasn't at all what I think of when I hear the word "plastic". I really don't think you'll be disappointed in this regard once you have it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Good to hear. I doubt I'll return it unless its just awful.... little chance of that. Can't wait for my package to arrive this week!

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Mistyisland, the HTC One has connections through the unibody and connect to the plastic, basically very small cables going through the metal body and entering the plastic which is how the signals get out. The antennas in the plastic go through the holes through the metal body and connect to the circuit board.

Oh, Okay! That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. So there is a reason for the injected plastic, even if it is over metal. Once again, I am thankful for the plastic. It serves an important function. Otherwise, the very small cables would still have an aluminum barrier to penetrate if not for the plastic.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

It feels like metal in your hand. It feels and looks more elegant than an iPhone 5. Go find one at an AT&T store.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I swear people called it an aluminum unibody which would mean it is constructed of one piece of aluminum. If people are saying aluminum unibody and then there is plastic in that same unibody... seems a little like trickery to me.

Not mad... just disappointed at the moment :(

It is an aluminum unibody. A unibody can also have different materials. (in this case, injection molded plastic)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781