HTC screwed themselves by not releasing this on Verizon

Silly Putty

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
For a company fighting for it's life they should've done everything they can to get this phone on Big Red. Millions of potential sales are down the drain. I know there's rumors of a rebadged one in a few months from now, but it will be too late by then. S4 will eat a majority of those sales by the time it arrives (if it even does).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauley

May 18, 2010
Visit site
For a company fighting for it's life they should've done everything they can to get this phone on Big Red. Millions of potential sales are down the drain. I know there's rumors of a rebadged one in a few months from now, but it will be too late by then. S4 will eat a majority of those sales by the time it arrives (if it even does).

Verizon is the One who passed on carrying the phone...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Right, but if they cave to Verizon's demands for an exclusive color or an earlier launch or a Droid-branded One just to get the phone launched with them everyone in the world is up in arms that "they aren't releasing the same device to everyone like Samsung did", and "why do they have to screw themselves again" and "this is the same problem with the One X last year".

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually its the mobile carriers responsibility to buy the phone and they decide whether or not to sell it on their network. Why would Verizon release a new HTC phone when you guys just got the DNA anyway?

Also I couldn't help but notice you were on an iPhone. Troll much?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Silly Putty

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually its the mobile carriers responsibility to buy the phone and they decide whether or not to sell it on their network. Why would Verizon release a new HTC phone when you guys just got the DNA anyway?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not trolling. I would've jumped on this phone had it come to Verizon. But I'm not going to switch to a subpar carrier to buy it.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Right, but if they cave to Verizon's demands for an exclusive color or an earlier launch or a Droid-branded One just to get the phone launched with them everyone in the world is up in arms that "they aren't releasing the same device to everyone like Samsung did", and "why do they have to screw themselves again" and "this is the same problem with the One X last year".

Didn't they technically do the same thing with att, though, by making the 64GB exclusive to att?

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Why can't the iPhone guys get some good Android lovin' here? It seems like everyone accuses them of trolling. Aren't we trying to convert them? I mean really, did you ever see Luke Skywalker tell Darth Vader to keep on keepin' on with the Emperor and get started on that 3rd Death Star?

This is like that.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Largest network in the country and HTC's hail mary phone isn't on it?

The HTC CEO should've been on his knees at VZW HQ begging them to take on this phone.

It's one of the best android devices to date and HTC has been trying to push it out on as many carriers as possible, since basically everybody but Verizon is getting it I'm afraid that they should have been on their knees begging HTC to release a version for them. If anything it seems like Verizon is doing themselves a disservice, what does it matter to HTC if they want to be idiotic and not release the phone on their network? All it means for them is that the other markets will see a slight increase in sales from people who really want the phone but have to switch off Verizon to get it.

I think it says more about The two companies mentalities than anything, HTC doesn't want to screw around with carriers that already have too much control as it is and Verizon has their "My way or the highway" approach to allowing devices on their network.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they technically do the same thing with att, though, by making the 64GB exclusive to att?

Absolutely they did and I think it's bogus that they did it. And people are pissing and moaning about it on these forums and others. And that's just for a short-lived exclusive on the 64GB version of the exact same device. Imagine the outcry if Verizon got the Droid One or the HTC Double-Helix, which would be a red and black striped One that will never get an update.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It would seem Verizon declined to carry it. They did the same thing last year with the One X (and other One products) and elected to carry the DNA as an exclusive later in the year. I do agree that Verizon should be carrying it, but it's probably more Verizon than HTC. Verizon most likely has the negotiating power and we don't know the specifics of these agreements so can't really make an intelligent assertion about the reasons or whatever. I would agree, it's a loss for both of them.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has the DNA. I assummed this was their deal with HTC since no other U.S. carriers has it.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely they did and I think it's bogus that they did it. And people are pissing and moaning about it on these forums and others. And that's just for a short-lived exclusive on the 64GB version of the exact same device. Imagine the outcry if Verizon got the Droid One or the HTC Double-Helix, which would be a red and black striped One that will never get an update.

The DNA was an exclusive and has recieved two updates to date, but I understand where you are coming from. Here the ONE was supposed to be THE ONE for HTC, one device, across all carriers, and they're doing exclusives with different companies. I wouldn't doubt that they will issue an HTC ONE type device on Verizon but rebranded as a droid, and if they do that, it completely defeats the purpose.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The DNA was an exclusive and has recieved two updates to date, but I understand where you are coming from. Here the ONE was supposed to be THE ONE for HTC, one device, across all carriers, and they're doing exclusives with different companies. I wouldn't doubt that they will issue an HTC ONE type device on Verizon but rebranded as a droid, and if they do that, it completely defeats the purpose.

Verizon got different colors of the GS3 even when it was Samsung's flagship. I agree with you but it seems that even with these devices, they still, at times give some carriers something different than the rest. Not that I agree, but just observation.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The DNA... has recieved two updates to date...
That is a lie. We've already been told by everyone else that HTC never updates their phones. Just because I've gotten 4 updates on my EVO and you've gotten 2 doesn't change that fact for people. You're obviously a dis-information junkie.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That is a lie. We've already been told by everyone else that HTC never updates their phones. Just because I've gotten 4 updates on my EVO and you've gotten 2 doesn't change that fact for people. You're obviously a dis-information junkie.

My first Android (also my first smartphone) was the Samsung Transform. I chose it over the EVO OG, because I didn't really want to pay the $10/month premium for 4G. At the time of the purchase (November) there was an official press release from Samsung/Sprint that the phone would receive the update to FroYo by the end of the year. That update that was promised by end fo year didn't come until April. By that time I was already looking at the EVO 3D. I read a lot more before making the full price purchase of the 3D than I had of the subsidized price of the Transform. Everything I was reading at that time was that Sumsung was the worst at getting updates out especially on Sprint phones and that HTC was pretty quick at getting updates out. I got the EVO 3D on realease day and have seen several updates to it. I just can't see where everybody is getting these claims that HTC never updates their phones. Samsung has definetly gotten better in the past couple of years with updating their phones, but let's face it, that has a lot to do with a single flagship device across all carriers. I don't see any reason why HTC can't be good about updating the One, since it will be on all carriers (save for Verizon) as well.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just can't see where everybody is getting these claims that HTC never updates their phones. Samsung has definetly gotten better in the past couple of years with updating their phones, but let's face it, that has a lot to do with a single flagship device across all carriers. I don't see any reason why HTC can't be good about updating the One, since it will be on all carriers (save for Verizon) as well.
BINGO!

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Verizon got different colors of the GS3 even when it was Samsung's flagship. I agree with you but it seems that even with these devices, they still, at times give some carriers something different than the rest. Not that I agree, but just observation.

Every carrier has an exclusive GS3 color. AT&T - red, Verizon - black, T-Mobile - grey, Sprint - purple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech