Here is why there is so much HTC hate.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I was reading about this earlier today, rather ironically, it came up on my Blinkfeed!

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, who here does not take to the internet forums when researching a possible purchase? Tech site reviews are usueful but what we really want is real world user opinions and experiences and for that, this is where we look. It was only a matter of time beforethe manufacturers cottoned on to this and tried to influence it in some way. Question is, if Samsung got caught out on this occasion, how many other times and how many other manufacturers haven't been as unlucky?

I also wonder if there is any relevance to the fact that this specific instance occured in Taiwan, where HTC is based, rather than in one of their other major markets like the US or UK? There are only two possible answers, either they haven't tried it for fear of the hefty penalties it would bring in those countries, or alternatively, they have tried it and have been getting away with it for years.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Very disappointing, if true. I've been a champion for Samsung, particularly in the ongoing patent wars with Apple. I fear this sort of thing happens when companies get really large and begin to dominate the market. Samsung has done really well because they make great products--I wish they would just stand on that fact alone instead of playing a dirty game. At any rate, my next phone will be an HTC One. It's not because of this allegation, but this sort of allegation does reinforce my decision. I tend to vote with my $$.

paparis13

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
New age marketing... everyone is involved in such business. HTC had people going around the crowd that had gathered for the GS4 release...

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
New age marketing... everyone is involved in such business. HTC had people going around the crowd that had gathered for the GS4 release...
Those people we obvious HTC people though, this is a little more deceptive. Both in the same ballpark, but not quite the same. It's e new world of guerrilla marketing.

I'm pretty sure the "accidental" early sale of the One at select AT&T stores is the same thing. Early buzz, keeps them in the news cycle when they otherwise wouldn't have been, etc.

Ulairi

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is on top and a lot of people treat technology like a sports team. They aren't rooting for a phone they are rooting for their team.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is on top and a lot of people treat technology like a sports team. They aren't rooting for a phone they are rooting for their team.

Same thing that happened with Apple.

I have no allegiance to any specific company... I've owned the HTC Thunderbolt, GNex, Moto RAZR HD, iPhone 4, and SGS3 (more recently these phones... heh). I never understood why people would be hard-up for a vendor, not the actual device.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
When does marketing become propaganda? When does propaganda become thought control?

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

Although there is no doubt that Samsung do actually want to take over the world I don't think that we are actually at this point, yet.

This is at worst a bit of dirty corporate sabotage. Everyone has a tech guru friend or relative that they go to for advice when it is time to get a new phone/laptop/whatever and Samsung saw an opportunity to try and influence those people. I have no doubt that this or something like it goes on pretty much all the time and not just in the electronics industry. Word of mouth and personal recommendation has always been the most powerful form of marketing there is and with the modern internet and social media, it is more powerful than ever.

That does work both ways though and as this story spreads Samsung will suffer a huge blow to its reputation and it will ultimately cost them customers.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
When does marketing become propaganda? When does propaganda become thought control?

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

Your comment made me think of David Bowie's, Major Tom song/track.

After reading this my thought of, could Samsung have anything to do with the shortage of components for the One? Now I'm thinking it could be. It's a shame......

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
The fact that they owned up to it immediately leads me to believe that the evidence the Taiwan FTC has is probably indisputable, so rather than deny it and eventually lose a long drawn out fight they have decided to cut their losses and take the hit.

Samsung is a marketing Juggernaut and I'm honestly not surprised one bit, they have been actively going after the Apple giant for the last few years and the last thing they want is a second major android manufacturer coming up from behind and stealing market share out from under them.

Also, judging by posts that others have made on this very forum I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing elsewhere and simply haven't been caught yet in other markets. We've all seen users post completely false information, claim issues that no body has ever heard of and attack the one major difference between HTC and Samsung's devices, the build quality. For that reason I only ever trust a few review sources for hardware.

You never know who is or can be bought out.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
What we don't understand is that companies like Samsung are engaged in an economic war to win superiority over Apple and anyone else who would threaten their rise. Anything goes. It's not just marketing, it is a war, plain and simple.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I read this yesterday. It's dirty but no different from HTC's twitter bashing the S4 or HTC sending people to crash Samsung's S4 unveil and offering hot chocolate to people that would listen. I heard it was good hot chocolate too.

Just companies playing the game and every company has doing something like it. Seems like if I were Samsung though I would've spent on the money on celebrities to endorse the product instead of some keyboard warriors. This apparently only occurred in Taiwan, I guess Samsung figures they have the largest market on lock already and wants to get HTC's home turf.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I read this yesterday. It's dirty but no different from HTC's twitter bashing the S4 or HTC sending people to crash Samsung's S4 unveil and offering hot chocolate to people that would listen. I heard it was good hot chocolate too.

Just companies playing the game and every company has doing something like it. Seems like if I were Samsung though I would've spent on the money on celebrities to endorse the product instead of some keyboard warriors. This apparently only occurred in Taiwan, I guess Samsung figures they have the largest market on lock already and wants to get HTC's home turf.

It's not really the same. So they crashed a party from the outside and were obviously HTC?

Samsung went dirty by trashing HTC through comments and bloggers -- i.e. fighting by proxy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae