*Discard* The HTC One's camera is clearly it's weak point!

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: The HTC One's camera is clearly it's weak point!

I kinda agree the camera topic is just way tooooo overrated.. if you want a better camera buy the S4.. or stay with ur current smartphone

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

The Lumia 920 also scored a 6, which pretty much invalidates that entire comparison article.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

The Lumia 920 also scored a 6, which pretty much invalidates that entire comparison article.

Why so? What makes you think the Lumia 920 camera is so great? I can tell you it isn't. It's average. You can look at the pictures yourself.

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Looking at the overall scores....seeing the Lumia 920 at a 6, I would assume lower = better.

If the One is where the Lumia is in regards to camera, we are in good shape.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

The GS3 is a 7, and the HTC One is a 6?! Hahaha! That comparison is obviously biased.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Although its nice to have a camera on my phone if I'm looking to take pictures to frame or print I wouldn't use a phone anyways.
If you're a Samsung fan and not even really interested in the HTC one why troll this forum anyways?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Looking at the overall scores....seeing the Lumia 920 at a 6, I would assume lower = better.

If the One is where the Lumia is in regards to camera, we are in good shape.
I think it's the opposite, but honestly isn't all of this really subjective? I really wasn't impressed with the 920 shots that much. The GS4 shots looked really good and the iPhone5 shots were blowing out too many colors for my taste. At times they all looked like they took decent pics and there are others where they have all had some issues. But that's in the eye of this beholder. As far as I can tell the One takes great pictures and really great video. Is it the best? Probably not in every setting. But I love the camera on my EVO and if the One is an improvement then I am stoked to use it. I do hope they correct the low-light ISO issues and eliminate some of the noise I've seen in lots of those pictures, but even with the noise the low-light pictures look really good.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Although its nice to have a camera on my phone if I'm looking to take pictures to frame or print I wouldn't use a phone anyways.
If you're a Samsung fan and not even really interested in the HTC one why troll this forum anyways?

Because some of us are ANDROID fans and not fans for any particular brand. We jump from phone to phone with no loyalty whatsoever.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Jesus, How many times do I have to post these pictures to prove that Phonearena is inconsistent. Look here for yourselves.

Both taken with the HTC One. The worst looking picture as published for the comparison test...see the difference?
65103d1365803218-phone-arena-camera-comparison-htc_one_two.jpg

Both taken with the HTC One. The worst looking picture as published for the comparison test...see the difference?
65104d1365803239-phone-arena-camera-comparison-htc_one_one.jpg

Amazing, just like that Phonearena was so smart that they forgot they already had the same pictures taken with the same camera of the SAME subject. I'm dying to hear someone try to justify these results.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm dying to hear someone try to justify these results.

Did you check to see if it has anything to do with the latest camera update? There is a lot of FUD in this forum, so did you look into this matter to see how true it is?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you check to see if it has anything to do with the latest camera update? There is a lot of FUD in this forum, so did you look into this matter to see how true it is?

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

The left half of the pictures are from the initial review of the HTC One, the right half was during the comparison test. I've looked at the results for quite some time. The left half was taken in 16:9 aspect ratio (initial review) and the right half was taken in 4:3 aspect ratio (for the comparison test).

The image data for the 16:9 photo (initial review) is:

F-stop f/2
Exposure time 1/1832 sec
ISO - 100
Focal length 4mm
35mm focal length 28
Flash mode - No flash, auto
Contrast - Normal
Brightness - 7.836468
Exposure - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
White balance - Auto

There was no EXIF data for the right half of the photo. Talking out my rear, I think the right-half of each photo is a result of HTC's implementation of metering and exposure adjustment. In my experience, I was able to duplicate the results by focusing on the brightest area in the frame, which lowered the exposure. If I focused on the darkest area in the frame, the exposure was increased. I'm not sure which parameter changes during this process?. Pardon me if I mixed up terminology, but that is the best way I can describe it.

In a nutshell if I want the picture to appear darker, I would change the focal point to the brightest area in the frame prior to taking the picture. Likewise if I want a picture to appear brighter. Assuming default settings and I don't have the ISO value locked.

Edit: I'm not sure if when you manually change the focal point, how large the area is for spot-metering vs. letting the camera decide the focal point.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The left half of the pictures are from the initial review of the HTC One, the right half was during the comparison test. I've looked at the results for quite some time. The left half was taken in 16:9 aspect ratio (initial review) and the right half was taken in 4:3 aspect ratio (for the comparison test).

The image data for the 16:9 photo (initial review) is:

F-stop f/2
Exposure time 1/1832 sec
ISO - 100
Focal length 4mm
35mm focal length 28
Flash mode - No flash, auto
Contrast - Normal
Brightness - 7.836468
Exposure - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
White balance - Auto

There was no EXIF data for the right half of the photo. Talking out my rear, I think the right-half of each photo is a result of HTC's implementation of metering and exposure adjustment. In my experience, I was able to duplicate the results by focusing on the brightest area in the frame, which lowered the exposure. If I focused on the darkest area in the frame, the exposure was increased. I'm not sure which parameter changes during this process?. Pardon me if I mixed up terminology, but that is the best way I can describe it.

In a nutshell if I want the picture to appear darker, I would change the focal point to the brightest area in the frame prior to taking the picture. Likewise if I want a picture to appear brighter. Assuming default settings and I don't have the ISO value locked.

Edit: I'm not sure if when you manually change the focal point, how large the area is for spot-metering vs. letting the camera decide the focal point.

Yeah, these reviews (phonearena and others) suck because they really have no clue but just snap away, it would appear. And then it is hard to know if some iphone fanboy did the test and took 10 shots with the iphone to get the best they could, or just becuase they are familiar with the particular phone camera, know how to get a better pic.

I can say that I just got the one last night. I am impressed with the low light abilities. I also tested against my current phone, an 8mp infuse, and the one is much better. The One camera is very good. It is also probably untouched for low light ability in a phone. Zoe is amazing. Having said that, adjusting the settings for the camera is a PITA and not well executed. However, in the samples that I have taken, the zoes, which overide any camera adjustments you have made, have actually, embarrassingly, been better than my carefully adjusted shots.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So my iPhone 5 beats the S4 in daylight video capture? It doesn't matter to me. I want to try the HTC One for many different reasons besides the camera.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It's not good that my one x has a better camera than the one, but I'm not getting it for the camera. I bet this is the last time HTC uses ultrapixel.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol