HTC One Battery Life/Stats Discussion

BigHonu

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
its actually looking like wifi was draining my battery. i set my phone in the same spot i always do at work today but with wifi off and im only down to 78% after 6 hours. yesterday at this same time i was down to 47% with wifi on the entire time. my LTE signal never goes above 2 or 3 bars.

Similar to me. Seems like the constant scanning for hotspots wears sucks up a ton of juice. Hopefully one if the battery monitor apps can help me out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Low signal really taxes the battery.

It's all about the network. People always seem to overlook the biggest drain of all on battery life....signal strength. It makes comparing battery life experiences very difficult because everyone is going to be different distances from cell towers, or have different providers with different results. I have a phone on the Sprint network. It will last quite some time at home but go to a crowded area with lots of people (Disneyland is the WORST for me) and I can watch my battery life evaporate practically before my eyes. Sometime it is even the phone that is different. I once had an identical model of phone as a friend on the same carrier too and we got totally different signal strengths in the exact same spot. Comparing people's battery life experiences a rather daunting task. There are just too many variables to make fully accurate comparisons.

+1 signal strength is the biggest wildcard! Poor signal as you said DEVOURS battery!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

This is very true!!!!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
All I know is on my LTE Evo I had to charge my phone during work with no good signal at all. So far I haven't had to charge this phone at work yet. Today I got about 10 hours but wasn't on phone much cause working. I do facebook text a lot read mail which downloads every 30 minutes my weather every 3 hours. I play all the multi players games sync my fitness pal a few times surf the web. But I've never had like 12 or 16 hours and whoever gets that to me seems like there not using there phone but I'll settle for 8-10 with moderate to slight heavy usage when I am out and have a decent signal. But I am happy with this phone and I know the battery is better than my LTE Evo since I haven't had to charge my phone at work all week. .Tonight I let it get down low and it was on 9% after I had been home for an hour and then I started charging it. I charge mine every night while sleeping and usually after an hour or two of being awake I plug it in again before I leave for work so I can have a full charge when I get to work. And usually on dinner break around 6:30 or so I would be low and have to charge with my Evo LTE with this phone I don't. I am pleased with it. I just have a bad signal at work so I can't really say. But Friday I am off and would like to test how much I get with good signal and moderate use. I have an air rave in my house now so I have good signal but I stay on wifi whenever possible. But once a month I'll let it drain real low then charge it like people suggested on here.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
my battery life today was way better than yesterday. yesterday i had wifi on the entire time i was at work and it was down to below 30% by 6 PM which was 9 hours after it was unplugged. today, i left wifi off and im at 30% after 14 hours.

yesterday:
AgWHteBl.png

c253gxXl.png

srVOkgpl.png

today:
58FdL77l.png

zEIhhcCl.png

n9xCeu9l.png

Rensje

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
All I can say is that this phone's battery properly curb stomps everything I've used in the past. I've consistently been able to last between 17-20 hours on a single charge. I'm currently 17,5 hours into a charge and there's still about 20% left on the charge. I have my screen brightness set to auto, power save mode is OFF, mobile data, bluetooth and Wi-Fi are all ON, and yesterday I even spent the better part of the day with GPS turned on without even realising it.

This thing really has great battery life, and the stand-by time is nothing short of incredible.

EDIT: Pic or it didn't happen, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-25-14-32-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-25-14-32-41.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 74

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing that's important to me at least it's the screen time. If your phone isn't on our sleeping 10 hours then it doesn't matter if you get days of standby..I get what I believe is great screen time as I had posted earlier in this thread between 5 and 6 hours on with phone going around 16 hours before charging

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well here are my results after a week.
0M0vRDCh.png

Photo Album - Imgur and here are other screenshots from GSam. I have absolutely no idea if this is good battery life or bad or mediocre. I see people saying they get 4 hours of screen time with extensive use playing pandora, streaming, games etc, I got 3 hours of screen time. But seeing as I lasted ~40 hours and not 16 idk.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Anyone switching from a note 2 I would like to know how much a difference these two are. I know its not fair but just curious

freaking skippy it's not fair!!! the Note 2, razr maxx and razr maxx HD are still the king of battery longevity, unless something has drastically changed in the last 3 months regarding battery technology.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Only 200mah more than the s3 and the s3 doesn't last all day.

It's only about 4 hours screen time NEW and 2 and a half when a year old

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

good points. from what I can see so far, this battery is similar to the DNA, S3, etc. you've got tons of power under the hood with a 2300 mah battery. I'm sure with moderate use (over time) it will easily last a typical workday. now if your like me and jump onto youtube and netflix every chance you get, then your results WILL vary. I'm curious as to how well the S4 does on battery life, too.

define "moderate use". your "moderate use" must mean sit on the dresser on WIFI while you're sleeping. Either that or you have a plutonium battery in your phone. you are not getting 17 hours with "moderate use". Stop it.

somehow, i find that incredibly funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I was making it my goal to never leave this phone on the charger overnight... last night 6 days into ownership I did just that! Ugh I was trying to be good and unplug before bed but I fell asleep watching the boring NFL draft. Now I am kicking myself! I know it really isn't going to hurt the battery just one time but man am I trying to treat this battery like a baby. I have gigantic fears of the battery going to crap in 6 months. It is so great right now and I just want it to stay like this haha. How many of you guys leave your phone on the charger all night?

monkboy24

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I was making it my goal to never leave this phone on the charger overnight... last night 6 days into ownership I did just that! Ugh I was trying to be good and unplug before bed but I fell asleep watching the boring NFL draft. Now I am kicking myself! I know it really isn't going to hurt the battery just one time but man am I trying to treat this battery like a baby. I have gigantic fears of the battery going to crap in 6 months. It is so great right now and I just want it to stay like this haha. How many of you guys leave your phone on the charger all night?

Iv been doin that for years with HTC phones and have not had a problem. When the battery is full it automatically stops charging bro. U don't have to worry about it

Last edited:

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused with how the phone's Battery History (in Settings) works. I used it for a couple of hours, and then turned off the phone using the 'Power Off' button that pops up when I hold the Power button for a short while. I turned it back on the next day and used it for only another couple of hours,but the 'History' showed like 16hrs with 'Awake' or something in blue for most all the time, and everything else turned off except for the few minutes that I actually used it for.

Is there something wrong with how it does the calculation?

Doesn't the 'History' reset itself if I charge the phone only half way and then disconnect the charger? (I know it resets after a full charge, coz I saw that happen yesterday)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Iv been doin that for years with HTC phones and have not had a problem. When the battery is full it automatically stops charging bro. U don't have to worry about it

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is entirely true. My understanding of lithium batteries is that it is best to never fully charge or fully discharge. Leaving it on the charger overnight (which I do) is likely not the best for the long term life. The battery will fully charge and as it consumes a small amount of power, will recharge off and on until removed. I would like it not to be true, but that is my understanding. If you have some authoratative source indicating otherwise, I would like to read it though.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I may be wrong, but I don't think this is entirely true. My understanding of lithium batteries is that it is best to never fully charge or fully discharge. Leaving it on the charger overnight (which I do) is likely not the best for the long term life. The battery will fully charge and as it consumes a small amount of power, will recharge off and on until removed. I would like it not to be true, but that is my understanding. If you have some authoratative source indicating otherwise, I would like to read it though.

Sadly from everything that I have read you would appear to be correct. That is why I am kicking myself. I have an alert for when my battery is fully charged but the night mode in powersaver muted it. I know one night is nbd but I don't want to get in the habit of this. Hopefully after a year the battery is only down to like 2000mah I could live with that.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone switching from a note 2 I would like to know how much a difference these two are. I know its not fair but just curious
I'm coming from a Note 2 and yes, the battery is no where near as good as the Note 2's but thats pretty obvious by the size difference of the battery. I will say that I think the battery of the HTC One is pretty good. I would classify myself as a medium user and I get through a full day and each day I feel like my battery is lasting a little longer. I'm a firm believer that it takes a few charges for the battery to reach its full potential. Does the battery last as long as the Note 2, no. Is it adequate? At least for my use yes!

c613m

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Well I fall in the category of leaving it charged at night. However, I'm been doing this with my iPhones for ages, and I've not seen any issues caused to the phone by this. I've always been able to pull the same daily results and have great battery life. So I'm not sure I agree with this assumption on the battery. I too would love to read more information on this.

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
100% may not represent 100% charged capacity. 100% may represent the max safe charge for LiOn batteries. As well, when the phone shuts down it might not be over discharged, but rather the percentage that the manufacture does not want the battery to go beyond. That is the nice thing about software controlling the battery and how it is managed. In the R/C airplane world, LiPo batteries are real finicky when it comes to this stuff. You have to set voltages when you charge so you don't overcharge. You are also not supposed to discharge them beyond 80% which is manually managed by the person using the battery, Phones are much easier when power management is built into the software.