Headphone controls?

sspringer11

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all...I'm new to the Android scene after just getting an HTC One, and can't seem to figure out the settings for the earbud controls with music. One click is play/pause, but double clicking redials my last call and only after I hang up does it skip to the next track. I've combed all the settings and also tried a few plugins for added configuration but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Is this an HTC One/Sense thing or Android in general? I could care less about controlling the phone, just the music.

I'm using Google Music rather than the standard music app, maybe that's the problem.

Thanks in advance!

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to know. Are they beats by the way? Any photos of them? How's their performance?

There is no branding on them, that I can see.
I've never owned a pair of beats to compare to, but they sound good for free pair of buds.

From my newly opened HTC One

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366335171946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366335171946.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 355

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
The beats headphones wont turn the volume up and down either. Come on HTC really. And they are urBeats. Not the off brand. Ugh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Fhenrus

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The beats headphones wont turn the volume up and down either. Come on HTC really. And they are urBeats. Not the off brand. Ugh.

Wait... So earphones or headphones don't work well with the phone? Or what's that supposed to mean?

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
No, he is whining that his beats earphones don't have a volume control! As if reaching for the volume rocker on the phone is too taxing for him!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
It's HTC with beats... Forgive me for wanting the BEATS headphones to work correctly with the phone with the BEATS logo all over it.

Fhenrus

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's HTC with beats... Forgive me for wanting the BEATS headphones to work correctly with the phone with the BEATS logo all over it.

I believe it's an issue with your headphones, not the phone itself. Having a phone that doesn't respond to volume control on an earphones or headphones is mostly an issue with the volume control device in your earphones/headphones themselves. Indeed it would be ironic if it wasn't. Test some earpods.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I believe it's an issue with your headphones, not the phone itself. Having a phone that doesn't respond to volume control on an earphones or headphones is mostly an issue with the volume control device in your earphones/headphones themselves. Indeed it would be ironic if it wasn't. Test some earpods.
I think the point is that there's no volume control on the earbuds.

But seriously, who was expecting quality, FREE earbuds? Of course they're terrible, all of the free ones that ship with phones are terrible. Go spend a little money for a decent pair.

sspringer11

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The headphones sound and feel decent, especially considering the usual POS quality you typically get from free headphones. BUT...the control may as well have been left out because it does not work nor offer any ability to edit what the button does. Phone and music are tied together, period. I've now tried 4 different apps to get them to work but no avail. Really a shame...this phone seems to be meant NOT to be used with headphones, only the speakers (which do sound incredible, but Im not that guy that walks down the street blaring his speakerphone for all humanity to hear)

sspringer11

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Sidenote: It is definitely a software issue that doesn't jive with the button, it also doesn't work with Beats Solo clicker nor Apple, nor Bose, nor JVC...we've been testing it with as many headphone clickers as can be found in the office.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Man if my Shures that I use with my iPhone 4s don't offer the same functionality on the One I'll be bummed. play/pause, volume control and next/last track functionality is something I use a lot while running.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Man if my Shures that I use with my iPhone 4s don't offer the same functionality on the One I'll be bummed. play/pause, volume control and next/last track functionality is something I use a lot while running.

If they are made for iPhone, they likely won't. This is not Shure, HTC, or Google's fault, but Apple's fault. They use a non-standard layout for its headphone jack, meaning companies have to choose whether to make their headphones follow the industry standard and be compatible with Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones, or use Apple's non standard layout and be iPhone and iPod compatible.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If they are made for iPhone, they likely won't. This is not Shure, HTC, or Google's fault, but Apple's fault. They use a non-standard layout for its headphone jack, meaning companies have to choose whether to make their headphones follow the industry standard and be compatible with Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones, or use Apple's non standard layout and be iPhone and iPod compatible.
Can the buttons be remapped to work as they should?

sspringer11

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried Headset Button Controller from the Play store?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kober.headset&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmtvYmVyLmhlYWRzZXQiXQ..

There is a free trial to make sure it works. It's supposed to configure a one-button headset remote for nearly every possible function. I didn't expect HTC to bundle a decent app that could arrange the number of clicks to a certain response, but I'm curious if any app can overcome this.

This is the first app that works!! Thanks for the heads up!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Each little section on the mini jack on the headphones is hard wired to a certain function. Its not a software thing, its a hardware thing. It is another way Apple tries to get people to stay in their ecosystem. If you have a $300 pair of iPhone compatible headphones, your more likely to stay with an iPhone for your next phone. They will still work to listen, but nothing else. No mic, no controls. If you look, most companies that make high end headphones will sell an iPhone version AND an "Android" version. One uses Apple's proprietary hardware setup one uses the industry standard.

Fhenrus

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The headphones sound and feel decent, especially considering the usual POS quality you typically get from free headphones. BUT...the control may as well have been left out because it does not work nor offer any ability to edit what the button does. Phone and music are tied together, period. I've now tried 4 different apps to get them to work but no avail. Really a shame...this phone seems to be meant NOT to be used with headphones, only the speakers (which do sound incredible, but Im not that guy that walks down the street blaring his speakerphone for all humanity to hear)

Woah, so... Any Bose earphones with mic and volume control won't work? I also got a wireless beats pair, I supposed as they were both beats they would both work

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Woah, so... Any Bose earphones with mic and volume control won't work? I also got a wireless beats pair, I supposed as they were both beats they would both work

Bose sells Android versions and iPhone versions. As do Beats, Shure, Skullkandy, and many many others. Wireless is different, because that is over bluetooth, they will be fine. It is only headphones you plug in, because the connectors in Apple's headphone jack do not follow the industry standard order.

Fhenrus

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be a big let down if the One has software problems to work with most headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

Bose sells Android versions and iPhone versions. Wireless is different, because that is over bluetooth, they will be fine. It is only headphones you plug in.

And do you think this will get fixed?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol