HTC One: Everything My Phone Wasn't

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I made a comment earlier in another thread that I wasn't going to wax poetic about this phone, but after the last few days using it I felt compelled to share my thoughts with others. Every once in a while there's a phone that comes out that intruiges me and this year it happened to be the HTC One. Admittedly, I'm a Nexus user; I've had nothing but great experiences using both the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. That being said, the prospect of using another phone that had a custom skin on it seemed pointless. I watched the Galaxy S4 launch like I'm sure most of you did, but I skipped the HTC One launch. Last year, I picked the Galaxy S3 over the One X (although I still own a One X to this day). This year, my choice could not have been any easier.

Design:

Let me preface my comments here by saying that I have absolutely zero issues with a phone being plastic. There are several advantages to using plastic over metal, but the one major drawback is that it tends to feel "cheap". With the HTC One, there is no such thing as cheap. I rarely get impressed with phone designs, but over the past year or so I've had a few phones catch my eye. When I first held an iPhone 5, my first thought outside of the solid, thin profile was the chamfered edges. The attention to detail was immense and the result was a phone that felt extremely premium in the hand. I also appreciated their ability to decrease the size of the phone while still being able to upgrade the hardware. When I first got ahold of the Droid DNA, I was extremely surprised at how thin the phone felt even though it truly wasn't. The curve on the back just made sense. As if HTC had read my mind, they took the two phones that impressed me with their design cues and made the most gorgeous phone to date; the HTC One.

Aluminum body. Chamfered edges. Curved back. When you see the One for the first time, especially if you've used as many phones as I have, you instantly appreciate the beauty of it. They've clearly paid attention to the rest of the market and infinitely improved on a line of phones that are great in their own rights (One X, One S, etc). From the speaker placement to the injection of polycarbonate in a pattern that doesn't take away from the design, the One is just simply gorgeous.

We all know there's more to a design than just looks, though, and functionality has to be just as good. If there's a negative to the design, and one that I will list only because of several other opinions and not my own, it's the button placements. I use my phone right handed so the power button and the home button are easily accessible to me, but those that use their phone left handed will most likely need to use two hands. I can see where that would be annoying, but the One almost requires two-handed use because of it's size anyways. Using it with my right hand can sometimes result in an indent on the inside of my right pinky finger, but that's to be expected with chamfered edges. I haven't caught myself reaching for the HTC logo in the middle, but I can see where others would. It is definitely different, but not something I consider a negative because it hasn't taken me hardly any time to adjust.

The design of this phone alone almost made me buy it without researching anything else about it. It's that good.

Hardware:

It wasn't until actually picking up an HTC One X that I actually appreciated the hardware that HTC brought to the table. CPU and GPU aside, as they've historically made solid choices, the choice to use SLCD 2 over something similiar to AMOLED really stuck with me. Up until that point, I had always been firmly in the camp of AMOLED. Maybe it was a bias I had, maybe it was the reviews I was reading, but I always thought AMOLED was better. I quickly formed a different opinion looking at the One X. That opinion was punctuated by the 1080p display on the DNA. It's set in stone now that I've turned on the HTC One. SLCD 3 at 1080p is absolutely gorgeous on this 4.7 inch display. Viewing angles are excellent, text is crisp, and it performs extremely well in sunlight. Far and away the best screen I've ever seen/used on a mobile device.

BoomSound is probably one of the most ridiculous names they could have picked, but regardless of how silly the marketing may be, the speakers themselves are amazing. HTC never seems to let you down with audio, but this is just on another level. I read some reviews with people claiming it was the best they've ever used on a mobile and I was skeptical. I'm not anymore. This is easily my first choice to watch a movie on, regardless of the fact the screen isn't the largest around. This wasn't a selling point for me when I bought the phone, but now that I have it, I'm definitely spoiled.

Brian Klug from Anandtech described the CPU/GPU better than anyone else can, so I'll refrain from going into too much detail. 28nm at 1.7ghz with an Adreno 320 is extremely fast. Gaming, though I don't usually have any, goes by without any hiccups. Sense 5 is actually extremely quick now (more on that later), so much so that it kind of threw me off. I expected better performance, but even the Droid DNA with the S4 Pro was kind of laggy. The more efficient 600 definitely makes a difference, and although it's not going to benchmark at the very top (here's looking at you, S4), it's close. I tend to buy phones that have the quicker performance, and although the Snapdragon 600 in the One isn't the absolute fastest, the performance optimizations in Sense 5 may just tip the scales in it's favor.

I'm not much of a camera guy, to be honest, but I will say I'm pretty impressed with the Ultrapixel camera. I understand the idea behind it, and it definitely delivers on what it intends to do. Allowing more light equates to better low light pictures. Most people aren't photographers and take pictures in less than ideal lighting. Makes sense to me, but then it suffers in ideal lighting compared to phones with a higher megapixel count. Could they have opted for a 8MP camera with the same tech? I believe so, but the top of that phone would be pretty damn thick. I understand the trade off and I'm happy with it. You should be, too.

Software/Battery Life:

Earlier, I alluded to being a Nexus guy. Stock android is so simple, so clean. In fact, I pretty much swore off using any other phones with custom skins for any real length of time because of it. I'm aware you can root and run CM10 on most devices now, but I got bored with that a while ago. When I saw the S4 launch, I immediately dismissed the device. No Octacore processor is going to make me forget how much I hate Touchwiz. That said, I've also never been thrilled with Sense. Any iteration of it. It's always bogged down the performance, it's had some weird design cues, and I just couldn't find anything I liked about it. Sense 5, on the other hand, completely changed that for me. I'm probably in the minority here, but it actually overcame the stock experience for me. Before the pitchforks come out, let me explain:

-I really, really like the darker scheme they've gone for. The clock widget is very prominent in this skin and it delivers. It sets the tone for the whole design just like the old Sense clock used to. For those still preferring that look, it's also available.

-BlinkFeed is still my home screen. I'm a huge FlipBoard fan and this just brought it front and center on my phone. Can it be better? Easily. Google Now integration, other third party apps having access, etc. I just like how it brings all the content I'd normally keep an app around for front and center. It also separates itself from your basic layouts you see in other UI's which is important to me.

-I don't hate the keyboard, but downloading the stock 4.2 keyboard made it so much better. Best of both worlds.

-I like having the stock browser around when I want to use Flash. It should be dead by now, but it's still around and having a browser that can use it helps.

-The new text and icons complete the look for me. If I were to design a skin, it would be damn close to this.

As with every OS/UI, there's things that I don't like, but they aren't deal breakers. I'd like the app drawer to allow me to scroll through instead of stop on each frame. I'd like there to be toggles on the notifcation shade. I'd like to be able to edit my icons on the bottom without being in the app drawer. These are so minor that they barely bother me, but there's always room for improvement. When it comes down to it, it's really the performance that gets me. This phone absolutely screams and Sense 5 doesn't slow it down. It really made a big impression on me the first time I turned it on and I appreciate it every time I turn my screen on.

I'm not going to go into battery life that much. I really don't have the ability to make a solid assessment at this point, but I've been okay with the results so far. On my first few charge cycles, I've been able to get through a day starting at 7 AM and ending at 11 PM with moderate use (Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, web browsing, 20-30 minutes of voice calls) with about 9 hours of that total on LTE. When I'm putting my phone back on the charger around 11, I'm at 20%. Saturday will be my fifth charge cycle and I'll be on WiFi most of the day, so I'll get a better look at how this performs.

Conclusion:

I chose the Galaxy S3 over the One X last year without hesitation. I was under the impression that I would also choose the S4 this year, but the HTC One made me rethink my stance. I'm not positive if it will attain the kind of success that the Galaxy line has, but I can give my honest opinion that it's a better phone regardless. If you're not into comparisons, then judging the One on it's own is an easy thing to do. It's everything your phone isn't, just like the slogan says.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Great review on the new HTC ONE. Thank you for helping out for everyone thinking of buying one or who bought one today.
Everyone at Android Central appreciates this great review. Post back in the coming weeks to let us all know how you are getting along.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I'm always amazed that so many people think the iPhone feels great. I don't care what it's made of (and I have one, BTW), it is the worst feeling phone I've ever held. It feels like I'm holding a thin empty box with sharp edges. Thankfully, the Mophie (?) battery case makes it feel decent to hold.

The rounded backs on the new HTC phones are worlds ahead in terms of design and feel. Unfortunately for me, the aluminum is a downside, as I don't like the feel of metal in my hand (metal sensitivity), but a nice case will fix that should I ultimately decide to replace the iPhone with one of these.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I too was on the fence between the ONE and the G4. After reading all of the major reviews and then walking into the store and testing the HTC, I was sold. Plus it came with 32 gigs for about the same price as a 16 gig S4. After owing the HTC for 24 hours, I see that I made the right choice FOR ME. The build and software are top rate imho. PS the camera is great by the way.

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Great review, I totally agree with what you say and love the One also. If you don't mind me asking, what does the 4.2 keyboard offer that the 4.1 does not have?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Familiarity. I'm so used to the 4.2 keyboard after using the Nexus 4 for months. Not sure if there's any improvements outside of gesture typing, but its my keyboard of choice on any phone not named BlackBerry Z10.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure my girlfriend doesn't like all the attention my one gets but then again she knows this is my toy.
I can't get over how useful BlinkFeed is! My Twitter and fb with my favorite news feeds and the integration as stated before. It's not a gimmick it gives us those things front and center without opening the app all the time.
Boom sound is amazing. I was watching movie trailers and my girlfriend was like wow I wish my phone sounded like that!
Just my phone sitting on the counter next to her phone makes it look like a cheap toy.
The camera is actually great as well. Swype is awesome.
Speaker placement is great. Looks like a hd tv when turned side ways.

Sent from my brilliant HTC One

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just to give you guys a little bit of an update on the battery:

Now that I've had more than 5 charge cycles on this phone and got to test it's durability under a full day of WiFi, I feel like I've got a better grasp on the battery life. Under moderate-heavy use (every opinion of those vary), I was able to get between 3-3 1/2 hours of on screen time on 18-20 hours of total usage with half of that time being used on LTE. Under WiFi only with Power Saver on (and every option checked), I was able to get 24-25 hours of total use and 4 1/2 hours of on screen time. For me, that's more than enough battery to get me through what I do on a daily basis.

For those wondering, Power Saver is a viable option and you shouldn't be too concerned about how it affects the performances of your phone. It brings the CPU down to 1.134 Ghz, which saves about .15v in total. Not entirely sure how that measures in actual battery performance, but coupled with the screen/data options it was able to prolong the life of my battery for quite a bit. I see no reason to keep that on during the day when I don't use my phone as much and then turn it off when I'm done working and start using my phone the most. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the battery. It's not removable, but they've done a good job of making it something you could get through an entire day with.