From iOS w/Jailbreak to the One

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I will be transitioning from my iPhone with Jailbreak (JB) to Android with the One. I've been using JB for a few months now, and it has allowed me to like iOS again. I agree that iOS is overly constricting, but I still like the tight integration you get with it. Still have an iPad, and don't plan on abandoning that. On that note, I need some feedback on equivalent features in Android for functionality and apps. I am happy to see that most of my apps have Android equivalents.

Functionality
1. Auxo (JB) - reimagined task switcher. Shows miniscreens of apps and can remove with a finger swipe down or two finger swipe down to remove two apps, or press and hold to remove all apps at once. Looks like built in task manager does this?
2. Zephyr (JB) - this one of my most favored JBs. Allows me to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to close my app or to view the task switcher (which works fine with Auxo), if I hold the swipe for a second. Also allows me to switch between apps with a swipe from the left or right side. Don't think Android has this. Not too thrilled with any sort of buttons now that Zephyr has allowed me to all but eliminate the need for a home button.
3. Springtomize2 (JB) - enables coverflow effect of docked apps. Kinda corny but looks cool. You can have a "curved" effect of your docked items. Helps to differentiate my docked apps from the others. I know with Android, my homescreen will be customized, so this probably isn't a big deal on Android.
4. NCSettings (JB) - toggles, toggles, toggles. Well, we all know this has been built into Android since forever. So need to find an equivalent ;) Although for iOS this is beatifully done. Can I arrange the order of the toggles in Android?
5. LivePapers(JB) - bubble on the lock screen. I know there is live wallpapers for Android, but this one for my lockscreen did not change my battery usage at all. It is well written. My understanding is that live wallpapers on Android are really bad at battery usage. I don't think I really care if I have it or not. Again, it helped me to make my iPhone just a bit different from anyone else without sacraficing anything.

Apps
1. iMessage - lose my "messaging over data" with friends who have iDevices. Can try to convince people to switch over to whatsapp?
2. Find my iPhone. Have used this more than I thought I ever would. I'm just a klutz.
3. Find my friends. Not a big deal if there is nothing.
4. Music - I know there is disdain for iTunes, but I do like when I drag my playlist to my iPhone or iPad via iTunes, it knows which songs to drag over. On Android, it's easy if I want to drag an album, but what about playlists?
5. Navigon USA/Europe - with my travel, I rely on navigation with built-in maps. Navigon on the iPhone has been very valuable. I spent dollars on this one when it first came out, but I can't imagine not using it, and Navigon wants me to repurchase my software for Android. I know Google maps has built-in navigation, but it relies on a network connection and that doesn't happen well outside of major areas or highways. Any thoughts?
6. Passbook. Don't laugh ;) I like it. Use it with Starbucks, American Airlines and a few giftcards. When I get to my Starbucks store, I don't even have to unlock the screen. Just slide over and pay. Same think with AA boarding pass.

Contacts - This is more of an FYI for those of you iDevice people who have created custom labels out the wazoo like me. While there is a new CardDAV standard to help with this, I found an app on the iPhone called Contacts Sync For Google Gmail by Playa Apps. It's not realtime, but it did do exactly what I wanted to. It took my contacts from my iPhone, with all their custom labels, picture, notes and birthdays and populated Gmail contacts. It even created groups for me. It can 2-way sync, or one-way from either direction. It also includes, if you want, Facebook contact sync, but uhhh, NO! Also, CardDAV on Google with iPhone does NOT support multiple groups. Why?

Backups - Still doing my research, but I don't see anything as easy as iTunes backup. I know my contacts and calendars will be synced through Google and my Notes through Evernote. And, I think HTC sync will transfer my messages. Does Whatsapp keep my message history? Can I remove a single message?

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget HTC has also given the tools to make switching over easy. Go I to settings on the One>transfer and you choose which device you are switching from and follow directions form there.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a bit of experience with both iOS (presently using a JB iP5 while I wait for my HTC One) and Android (used a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Note 2 in the past year) so I'll try to offer a little advice. Responses highlighted in blue.

I will be transitioning from my iPhone with Jailbreak (JB) to Android with the One. I've been using JB for a few months now, and it has allowed me to like iOS again. I agree that iOS is overly constricting, but I still like the tight integration you get with it. Still have an iPad, and don't plan on abandoning that. On that note, I need some feedback on equivalent features in Android for functionality and apps. I am happy to see that most of my apps have Android equivalents.

Functionality
1. Auxo (JB) - reimagined task switcher. Shows miniscreens of apps and can remove with a finger swipe down or two finger swipe down to remove two apps, or press and hold to remove all apps at once. Looks like built in task manager does this? Build in task manager should offer the same functionality
2. Zephyr (JB) - this one of my most favored JBs. Allows me to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to close my app or to view the task switcher (which works fine with Auxo), if I hold the swipe for a second. Also allows me to switch between apps with a swipe from the left or right side. Don't think Android has this. Not too thrilled with any sort of buttons now that Zephyr has allowed me to all but eliminate the need for a home button. You'll find some of the functionality or similar aspects in SwipePad, Sidebar, or Wave Laucher. I'm sure there are more, these are just a few that I have some familiarity with
3. Springtomize2 (JB) - enables coverflow effect of docked apps. Kinda corny but looks cool. You can have a "curved" effect of your docked items. Helps to differentiate my docked apps from the others. I know with Android, my homescreen will be customized, so this probably isn't a big deal on Android.
4. NCSettings (JB) - toggles, toggles, toggles. Well, we all know this has been built into Android since forever. So need to find an equivalent ;) Although for iOS this is beatifully done. Can I arrange the order of the toggles in Android? Tons of options, I'd recommend Power Toggles as a jumping off point.
5. LivePapers(JB) - bubble on the lock screen. I know there is live wallpapers for Android, but this one for my lockscreen did not change my battery usage at all. It is well written. My understanding is that live wallpapers on Android are really bad at battery usage. I don't think I really care if I have it or not. Again, it helped me to make my iPhone just a bit different from anyone else without sacraficing anything.

Apps
1. iMessage - lose my "messaging over data" with friends who have iDevices. Can try to convince people to switch over to whatsapp? Haven't tried whatsapp or any other third party solution, just use standard SMS when I'm using Android--far too many of my contacts are on iPhones and not worth the effort to try to 'convert' them. Also I have unlimited texting with my mobile plan.
2. Find my iPhone. Have used this more than I thought I ever would. I'm just a klutz. Check out Cerberus
3. Find my friends. Not a big deal if there is nothing. Maybe Google Latitude? Don't use either personally so I'll leave the recommendations to others.
4. Music - I know there is disdain for iTunes, but I do like when I drag my playlist to my iPhone or iPad via iTunes, it knows which songs to drag over. On Android, it's easy if I want to drag an album, but what about playlists? Don't really use Playlists so I'll opt out of any recommendation. For music though I do recommend Google Play Music. Works fine as music player if you prefer keeping your music on the device but you can use the cloud service, upload your library (up to 20,000 songs, and best yet it's free) and stream to your device as needed, download specific tracks for offline listening. Just load the Music Manager app on your computer, point it to your iTunes library and anything you add to iTunes will automatically get added to your Google Play Music library.
5. Navigon USA/Europe - with my travel, I rely on navigation with built-in maps. Navigon on the iPhone has been very valuable. I spent dollars on this one when it first came out, but I can't imagine not using it, and Navigon wants me to repurchase my software for Android. I know Google maps has built-in navigation, but it relies on a network connection and that doesn't happen well outside of major areas or highways. Any thoughts? No personal experience myself.
6. Passbook. Don't laugh ;) I like it. Use it with Starbucks, American Airlines and a few giftcards. When I get to my Starbucks store, I don't even have to unlock the screen. Just slide over and pay. Same think with AA boarding pass. Yeah, people rag on Passbook but I also use it a ton when I'm using my iPhone as I'm a frequent Starbucks customer as well. I'm not sure if the HTC One offers lockscreen app launching (waiting for delivery of mine on Monday) but on my Note 2 I used the Starbucks app on my lockscreen (also used a third party lockscreen app that allowed for app launching, sorry can't remember it's name at the moment), just swiped up and it would open the app so I could quickly pay with the onscreen barcode.

Contacts - This is more of an FYI for those of you iDevice people who have created custom labels out the wazoo like me. While there is a new CardDAV standard to help with this, I found an app on the iPhone called Contacts Sync For Google Gmail by Playa Apps. It's not realtime, but it did do exactly what I wanted to. It took my contacts from my iPhone, with all their custom labels, picture, notes and birthdays and populated Gmail contacts. It even created groups for me. It can 2-way sync, or one-way from either direction. It also includes, if you want, Facebook contact sync, but uhhh, NO! Also, CardDAV on Google with iPhone does NOT support multiple groups. Why? Can't help you here as I just sync with Google Contacts.

Backups - Still doing my research, but I don't see anything as easy as iTunes backup. I know my contacts and calendars will be synced through Google and my Notes through Evernote. And, I think HTC sync will transfer my messages. Does Whatsapp keep my message history? Can I remove a single message? Until recently you needed to Root to be able to use something like Titanium Backup and while not terrible intuitive or user friendly, it is very full featured and gets the job done. For unrooted options, check out Carbon - App Sync and Backup--seems to get very good reviews but I've seen mixed comments in the forums--some claiming they can never get it to work fully. I dabble in flashing custom ROMs so I've used Titanium in the past. Google's backup and restore functionality is pretty much useless--it'll re-install your apps (if it even does that, seems to work about 50% of the time for me personally) but none of their data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12