Why has HTC shortened their power cord by, 3-4 inches?

Barney Lerten

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from the HTC Inspire, and the plug seems the same (checked the tiny gray wording to make sure).
BUT plugging my new cord in with my new phone, I could tell it was shorter - I put the two cords against each other and sure enough, it's 3-4 inches shorter!
Cost-saving move? I suppose? Not that it was very long to begin with!:-\

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
They've steadily been getting shorter and shorter. They went from like 8ft long 4 years ago now they seem like they are about 16 inches. Pretty lame that the cord doesn't even reach from the ground to the top of my nightstand and forget about trying to plug it in behind a bed and stretch it over to the nightstand. Luckily I still have a galaxy note 2 charger and those are 2 amp (charge faster) and are about 5ft long.

poncewattle

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The manual says this:

"Only the power adapter and USB cable provided in the box must be used to charge the battery."

That is a bit disturbing. The entire point of going with micro-USB for chargers is that any USB charger can charge the devices.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The manual says this:

"Only the power adapter and USB cable provided in the box must be used to charge the battery."

That is a bit disturbing. The entire point of going with micro-USB for chargers is that any USB charger can charge the devices.

I think this is pretty standard language. I've seen it with other devices as well.
I've noticed a trend with phones over the past year or so. I think everyone is shortening their cords. The one for my Galaxy Nexus was so short, I stopped using it. So, basically, I still use the USB cable from my Droid X, combined with the wall plug/adapter for the Nexus.

Hydraulic Jack

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes - you won't hurt the battery because the phone itself controls the charging process, so different chargers won't hurt it. The worst that can happen is the phone will refuse to charge.

I like that one because it's a 2 amp charger and the USB port is at a 90 degree angle...HJ

efallows

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The cord is much shorter, chincy bastards, that is my only complaint in regard to this phone experience.
Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The manual says this:

Some where some attorney told them to put that in there, I am sure it's due to liability issues.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Classic CYA language. Basically, if you use a different charger and your phone gets damaged, they're not responsible. Not unexpected. However, as the USB spec is standardized, they are all the same. The only difference is the transformer portion. The charge current is controlled via the phone so no worries there either. The phone will suck up as much amps as it needs, no more, so using the 2 amp charger from the Note with a phone that originally came with a 1 amp charger doesn't mean that 2 amps will be pushed to the phone. Obviously using a charger that provides lower amps does no harm either. Some argue that a slower, lower current, charge helps preserve the battery but takes longer. My MAXXHD came with a 1.15A charger but I use my older 700mah charger for it every night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084