Has Anybody Upgraded from the EVO 4G LTE?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing lots of praise for the phone on the forums, but I don't see anybody comparing it to the EVO 4G LTE.

I went to check out the phone a few times this weekend and it just doesn't seem dramatically better than my EVO. The physical dimensions are about the same, the screen size is the same. The screen quality is definitely more vibrant and bright, but I don't notice the 1080p vs 720p. Boomsound is amazing though! Much clearer than the speakers on my EVO. Design was beautiful, but I still feel the EVO was a sturdy, quality device.

Since I have an addiction, I just placed a preorder for an SGS4. Reviews say pentile is negligible at that resolution and at least the screen size is .3" bigger. Camera quality is up in the air at this point, and I'm sure the loudspeaker will be the equivalent to the EVO. It'll be my first non-HTC phone since the first EVO has been released (EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE). Let's see how Samsung will treat me for the next year...

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Same boat, well except I had a bad experience with Samsung, so I'm switching to the One from the Evo LTE. I won't have a fair comparison though, I'm moving from Sprint to T-Mobile for the better local network. I'll miss the kickstand, and it being black, but that's about it. After the epic experience with the Evo's camera, I'm looking forward to the One having pictures take up less space and actually look better, while adding Zoe's too. I'll let you know what it's like when everything gets better all at once. At the moment, I can't quite imagine the thought.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Same boat, well except I had a bad experience with Samsung, so I'm switching to the One from the Evo LTE. I won't have a fair comparison though, I'm moving from Sprint to T-Mobile for the better local network. I'll miss the kickstand, and it being black, but that's about it. After the epic experience with the Evo's camera, I'm looking forward to the One having pictures take up less space and actually look better, while adding Zoe's too. I'll let you know what it's like when everything gets better all at once. At the moment, I can't quite imagine the thought.

I was actually debating whether to ditch Sprint for T-Mobile as well. There wouldn't be much of a cost savings since I have a corporate discount with Sprint and not T-Mobile. Data is hit or miss in my city on Sprint...so I figured I might as well wait a little longer for my ETF to drop to see if Sprint gets any better.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the EVO LTE on Sprint to the One. The only thing I miss is the kickstand. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about the phone is better. Even though I don't have LTE where I am the 3G signal and service is better than it was with the EVO. If you are on the fence, and I was too, I went to the store, read all the reviews and took the plunge and haven't looked back. Nicest device I have ever owned and played with.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing lots of praise for the phone on the forums, but I don't see anybody comparing it to the EVO 4G LTE.

I went to check out the phone a few times this weekend and it just doesn't seem dramatically better than my EVO. The physical dimensions are about the same, the screen size is the same. The screen quality is definitely more vibrant and bright, but I don't notice the 1080p vs 720p. Boomsound is amazing though! Much clearer than the speakers on my EVO. Design was beautiful, but I still feel the EVO was a sturdy, quality device.

Since I have an addiction, I just placed a preorder for an SGS4. Reviews say pentile is negligible at that resolution and at least the screen size is .3" bigger. Camera quality is up in the air at this point, and I'm sure the loudspeaker will be the equivalent to the EVO. It'll be my first non-HTC phone since the first EVO has been released (EVO 4G, EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE). Let's see how Samsung will treat me for the next year...

Go with the One if you liked your EVO. It's a SOLID phone. The battery life is about the same, the camera takes similar quality pics, unless you are in low light, then the pictures from the One are amazing. The features on the cam are insane. Zoes and Highlights are awesome. I'm blown away how much I love using them already. The speakers on the one are better than the current gen Macbook Pro (in an unofficial study done with 4 roommates).

The only benefits on the S4 are screen size (if you're into it), removable battery, and processor speed. Devs will have the One running at top speed, so I don't think you should worry about processor speed all that much.

It's a thing of personal preference. I love the new Sense 5 and everything else about my One, which is an upgrade from the EVO 4G LTE. I can't imagine spending the money to buy a plastic phone, but that's what some people are in to.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
OMG if I didn't have 3 hours of meetings today, I'd go home and get my One it's sitting on my doorstep according to UPS.

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a sprint Evo 4glte and I have the sprint one. lte antennas are vastly improved. no problem picking up lte in my city, and we are not fully built out yet with it....speakers are night and day improvement....I didn't think I'd notice difference with screen but I was wrong...definitely even more crisp than evo....I'll miss the built in kickstand but my flip case will serve the same purpose.....having full metal back vs half is definitely noticeable improvement as far as consistency throughout.....both are fast but the one is fast...ER.....big adjustment for me is not having removable sd card....not cuz of storage quantity concerns, but mainly how to prevent my music etc from erasing if I have to factory reset....haven't figured that out yet...have always had removable storage....pics to me are better on the one vs the evo....way better at least so far with the few photos I've taken....Zoe's are very cool looking and i can see myself using them often, but I have to figure out if I remove any of the 20 or so pics from a Zoe folder in file explorer, will it affect the Zoe in my gallery ie will I lose the live footage stuff....I don't want that when I enable instant upload for Dropbox all the pics jam up in there ....remote control feature is AMAZING to me...love it and use it daily....overall it's a considerable upgrade IMO coming from the evo going to the one....glad I did it....the weaknesses on the evo are strengths on the one, and even the great things about the evo are either carried over to the one or easily remedied

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox