Using it for 3 days now, here's what I think.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the 32GB model on Rogers in Canada, I haven't been out and about with it because of a damn stomach flu going around but that's given me more hand's on time with it the last three days.

Build Quality: So far I haven't had any issues with it, other users have reported stuck/dead pixels but on visual inspection and using a stuck pixel finder app I can report that I am completely clean. There is a tiny, as in fraction of a millimeter gap between the top and bottom bezels in the screen but it doesn't feel like a build quality issue, the gaps are even across the whole thing and I like it because it allows me to figure out the boundary of the screen without looking. I also haven't seen any issues with the zero gap plastic, I know some of the early models showed signs of cracking but there is nothing wrong with mine.

This phone gets very hot when doing CPU intensive tasks, GPU tasks it gets warm but CPU tasks you could use it as a hand warmer in the arctic. To figure out what I mean, load up pandemic and play it for about 20 minutes to a half hour. It will actually get uncomfortable when holding the phone, Pandemic isn't very graphically intense but it does do a lot of CPU tasks.

Software: I made the switch from IOS to Android. IOS was really my first entrance to a true smart phone device, prior to that I had a Sony P1i and IOS was miles ahead when I switched. I find that some things done on my old Iphone were simpler to manage. One example of note I guess would be the notes. The note taking app was very simple, I could quickly pop it up and type in a new note and close it. I also had it syncing those notes to my google account as a backup but oddly enough there is no way as far as I can tell to sync those notes to evernote or to the built in notes app on the One. It's not a major issue, I can still access the old notes through gmail but I am a compulsive note taker and use them to reference just about everything. I'll be saving them to evernote from now on to get around the compatibility but it was one of those switching pains.

I'm not in love with sense, I've used other android devices before and I really like the stock android experience. Sense seems to over complicate things, and while I don't think it really removes any features from stock android I don't think it's made anything easier. I'm also not a fan of blinkfeed, if i could add in very specific news sites to watch it would be different but at the moment I look at it once a day and the majority of it I find useless to me.

I think I'm going to have to do some fine tuning on the notification system, I'm not sure if I'm just going crazy or if something odd is happening but I've gotten text messages from people that vibrate and light up the notification light and then others it ignores, I haven't delved too deep into customization on it so it's probably something I'm missing.

The odd app drawer and home screen folder setup. So I'm a bit OCD in terms of keeping all my apps neatly organized and on one screen. I put everything into their proper folders and sort the folders by priority and apps in the folders by priority. It bugs the living hell out of me that if I have a folder for something in my app drawer and make a shortcut on my home screen for that folder, if I then add a new app to it from either the home screen or the app drawer it doesn't automatically show up in the other. It's basically left me with having to do the same task twice over because instead of the folders being actual shortcuts that should technically lead to the same thing, all it's doing is making a duplicate of the folder and then separating them.

This is really just a quick look at what I've seen with it in the last few days. I'm loving the hardware, the customization (and yes the emulators!) on it but overall I think HTC's software side of things fell a little flat. I'm sure I would be happier with a closer to stock android experience.

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The odd app drawer and home screen folder setup. So I'm a bit OCD in terms of keeping all my apps neatly organized and on one screen. I put everything into their proper folders and sort the folders by priority and apps in the folders by priority. It bugs the living hell out of me that if I have a folder for something in my app drawer and make a shortcut on my home screen for that folder, if I then add a new app to it from either the home screen or the app drawer it doesn't automatically show up in the other. It's basically left me with having to do the same task twice over because instead of the folders being actual shortcuts that should technically lead to the same thing, all it's doing is making a duplicate of the folder and then separating them..

I'm sooooo OCD with my phone organisation too!but why have copy of folders on home screens? The app draw is always one click away.
Most important in dock, then I fill the 1st page of app draw with next most used apps (fb, tv app, contacts etc) then have all my folders one swipe down on next page,
I have my widgets next to my blinkfeed so all home screens are 'info panels' so to speak.

Sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sooooo OCD with my phone organisation too!but why have copy of folders on home screens? The app draw is always one click away.
Most important in dock, then I fill the 1st page of app draw with next most used apps (fb, tv app, contacts etc) then have all my folders one swipe down on next page,
I have my widgets next to my blinkfeed so all home screens are 'info panels' so to speak.

Sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

I might try that and see if I can get used to it. It's one extra tap so it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm also madly in love with Airdroid, amazing app. I love the stuff you can you do with android.

bosslugger

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear your feedback. I also just came from iOS and while the phone is cool, the Sense skin/OS/whateverthehellitis kinda sucks.

I don't like having to customize the Apps screen, then customize my home screen all over again.
I don't like that I can't make custom labels for contacts - seriously?
I don't like that I can only access visual voicemail with AT&T's horrid app.
I don't like that the Mail app seems not to display full HTML, despite setting the mail size to full or unlimited. Gmail's app can view HTML but Mail cannot.
Why are Facebook pics showing up in my Gallery? I really don't need that, but I want Facebook posts in my BlinkFeed. WTF?
I definitely don't love having to download apps to customize the UI, and I'm not comfortable rooting my phone. Seems like stock Android is so much more intuitive, and the Sense experience is kind of bloated.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear your feedback. I also just came from iOS and while the phone is cool, the Sense skin/OS/whateverthehellitis kinda sucks.

I don't like having to customize the Apps screen, then customize my home screen all over again.
I don't like that I can't make custom labels for contacts - seriously?
I don't like that I can only access visual voicemail with AT&T's horrid app.
I don't like that the Mail app seems not to display full HTML, despite setting the mail size to full or unlimited. Gmail's app can view HTML but Mail cannot.
Why are Facebook pics showing up in my Gallery? I really don't need that, but I want Facebook posts in my BlinkFeed. WTF?
I definitely don't love having to download apps to customize the UI, and I'm not comfortable rooting my phone. Seems like stock Android is so much more intuitive, and the Sense experience is kind of bloated.

A friend recommended Nova to me and I put it on right after writing my last reply, gets it as close to stock android as I think it will get without flashing a different rom and I'm very happy with it. fixes alot of the stupid sense quirks and feels faster and cleaner.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
As Charles stated you folks should give Nova Launcher a try.

Also check to see if Facebook contacts/pics are setup to sync. I have a DNA myself but soon will have the One. Check this out:

uploadfromtaptalk1366670048867.jpg

BTW, if available try Google Voice for VM.

Sent from my HTC DNA.

Darus214

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you had a problem with 3rd party apps looking like a 5 year old threw them together? I just switched over from iOS after many iPhones and just wanted to give Android a try. The one big gripe I have so far is that these apps look horrible! Compare Yahoo's new weather app that came out...it has receive such high ratings because of its clean look and solid functionality iOS. The android version not only looks horrible, it doesn't have half of the functionality of the iOS counterpart. Other apps are just missing features or just have so much redundancies. Example, Instagram on iOS is buttery smooth just as android's. BUT if you want to reply to someone, you have to put the @ sign, type their username and then leave a comment. On ios you just swipe the persons name and it gives you the option to reply or delete comment- Very intuitive. Deleting a comment on android means tapping the edit button then hitting the X. That is fine, but why the heck does the X overlap the comment? It comes off feeling very unclean and not pleasant to look at. The app icons also look horrible. Most iOS app icons are very clean and nice looking even if the app isn't that great. On android nearly all the apps have a childish looking icon and interface. Even the better quality apps dont come with that great of an interface. Everything feels square and as if it has been hacked together in less than 24 hrs. It is driving me crazy that I have the physical back button as well as a back button on top of the app. Why do I need 2 back buttons! And then you have the intuitiveness problem. On iOS nearly all actions had a spring to them. On android you don't have this. For example, Youtube has the hidden action bar on the left that is indicated with those 3 lines. On iOS I have the option to just swipe the screen from left to right and it shows it or I can tap the 3 lines to reveal it. IT IS the same way on Android but to demonstrate what I mean I used this example. Some apps have the 3 lines but you cannot swipe the screen to reveal what's behind it. The worst thing is having one app have the 3 lines on the left, another app have the 3 lines on the right, other apps having to long press, and the absolute worst is having the huge button on the bottom with the 3 dots in the center that just brings up the menu!!!. These inconsistencies don't typically occur on iOS. Why is it so hard for Android developers to incorporate a design language that works well and is intuitive and then have it shared amongst developers? Overall I love this phone but the 3rd party apps really need a lot of work done in my opinion.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you had a problem with 3rd party apps looking like a 5 year old threw them together? I just switched over from iOS after many iPhones and just wanted to give Android a try. The one big gripe I have so far is that these apps look horrible! Compare Yahoo's new weather app that came out...it has receive such high ratings because of its clean look and solid functionality iOS. The android version not only looks horrible, it doesn't have half of the functionality of the iOS counterpart. Other apps are just missing features or just have so much redundancies. Example, Instagram on iOS is buttery smooth just as android's. BUT if you want to reply to someone, you have to put the @ sign, type their username and then leave a comment. On ios you just swipe the persons name and it gives you the option to reply or delete comment- Very intuitive. Deleting a comment on android means tapping the edit button then hitting the X. That is fine, but why the heck does the X overlap the comment? It comes off feeling very unclean and not pleasant to look at. The app icons also look horrible. Most iOS app icons are very clean and nice looking even if the app isn't that great. On android nearly all the apps have a childish looking icon and interface. Even the better quality apps dont come with that great of an interface. Everything feels square and as if it has been hacked together in less than 24 hrs. It is driving me crazy that I have the physical back button as well as a back button on top of the app. Why do I need 2 back buttons! And then you have the intuitiveness problem. On iOS nearly all actions had a spring to them. On android you don't have this. For example, Youtube has the hidden action bar on the left that is indicated with those 3 lines. On iOS I have the option to just swipe the screen from left to right and it shows it or I can tap the 3 lines to reveal it. IT IS the same way on Android but to demonstrate what I mean I used this example. Some apps have the 3 lines but you cannot swipe the screen to reveal what's behind it. The worst thing is having one app have the 3 lines on the left, another app have the 3 lines on the right, other apps having to long press, and the absolute worst is having the huge button on the bottom with the 3 dots in the center that just brings up the menu!!!. These inconsistencies don't typically occur on iOS. Why is it so hard for Android developers to incorporate a design language that works well and is intuitive and then have it shared amongst developers? Overall I love this phone but the 3rd party apps really need a lot of work done in my opinion.

Some apps I see what you are talking about, others I find the interfaces the same if not better. I can understand being frustrated with the quality of some apps but that's really an issue with the developers. I think it's a reasonable trade off for the flexibility of the system, being able to change out any of the stock apps for third party ones that better suite your needs or change the launcher.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Google has provided app design guidelines but they don't enforce them like Apple. Part of the problem is different button configurations as well. See this:

uploadfromtaptalk1366678872578.jpg

If you see the three dot menu, the dev isn't following the guidelines. Email the dev or complain about in the app review.

Here is an example of proper:

uploadfromtaptalk1366679153633.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366679174891.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1366679195428.jpg

Sent from my HTC DNA.

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
As Charles stated you folks should give Nova Launcher a try.

Also check to see if Facebook contacts/pics are setup to sync. I have a DNA myself but soon will have the One. Check this out:

View attachment 65835

BTW, if available try Google Voice for VM.

Sent from my HTC DNA.

I hate when people do this, but I'm going to do it. What's that five-day weather widget you're using? I'm looking for something clean and minimal, and that would just about do it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I get what you're saying, and there is a lot to it. But you can't expect Android to be the same as iOS. If you commit to make a switch, make a switch. Both operating systems will have good and bad that will require adjustments. I do agree with a lot of what you said, but Android has hundreds of different devices that developers have to write their code for. Every phone is different, so they incorporate little things to be sure everyone has a back button or menu button in case their particular device is not equipped with one already. If you're phone has one, it's not the end of the world to have two. iOS developers have it easy, because they know all devices are the same and will interact with their app the exact same. That's the simple answer to all of your questions.

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Interesting, I've pretty much had the exact opposite experience, I'm coming from years of IPhone's, had the IPhone5 and having switched to the One, can't be happier. "On android nearly all the apps have a childish looking icon and interface." Really? All? I find the number of apps available refreshing, I can find an app to do pretty much any customization I can dream of. I realized awhile ago that to do what Android lets me do on an IPhone I have to jailbreak it. I mean the notification pull down on Android is heads and shoulders better then on IOS. And it took Apple years for it. And widgets? Oh yeah, not allowed in the walled garden that is Apple. Seriously? I really could care less if a app had 3 buttons on the bottom or top if it gives me functionality I'm looking for. My 4 other family members who are on my plan are all moving to Android as soon as they can. Sadly I think Apple has nothing left to offer, Steve was the genius, Cook is just another bureaucrat (a nice guy, dont get me wrong). My opinion of course, just my opinion.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Google has provided app design guidelines but they don't enforce them like Apple. Part of the problem is different button configurations as well. See this:

View attachment 65847

If you see the three dot menu, the dev isn't following the guidelines. Email the dev or complain about in the app review.

LOL what about when the developer is google?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-23-19-48-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-23-19-48-25.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13