HTC One Rear Camera won't activate

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
For whatever reason when I load up my camera app, only the front facing camera will work. i have gone through all the settings in the camera but nothing will let me select the main camera. i've had it for 3 days and it's worked fine till about an hour ago. the only thing I did was install angry birds and hanging with friends. everything else seems to work fine on the phone. here is what i've tried to correct the problem so far:

-removed angry birds and hanging with friends
-removed all apps i've downloaded since i got the phone
-did a factory reset

none of these worked. i wondered if anyone could please help. it is a very big annoyance to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
For whatever reason when I load up my camera app, only the front facing camera will work. i have gone through all the settings in the camera but nothing will let me select the main camera. i've had it for 3 days and it's worked fine till about an hour ago. the only thing I did was install angry birds and hanging with friends. everything else seems to work fine on the phone. here is what i've tried to correct the problem so far:

-removed angry birds and hanging with friends
-removed all apps i've downloaded since i got the phone
-did a factory reset

none of these worked. i wondered if anyone could please help. it is a very big annoyance to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try clearing data/cache in the Camera app.

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I just did that under the apps menu plus i also "reset to default" inside the camera app. neither worked.

it's strange because the only thing im able to do with the front facing camera is take a picture with a countdown. it displays "tap to start countdown" at bottom of screen. i can't even take a regular photo.

thanks for the information though, got any other ideas?

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I just did that under the apps menu plus i also "reset to default" inside the camera app. neither worked.

it's strange because the only thing im able to do with the front facing camera is take a picture with a countdown. it displays "tap to start countdown" at bottom of screen. i can't even take a regular photo.

thanks for the information though, got any other ideas?

So is the option to change between front and main camera at the very top of the camera menu completely gone or greyed out? And does swiping from left or right side of the screen (in portrait mode) or top or bottom of the screen (in landscape mode) also do nothing?

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The option "camera" IS in the settings but it will not let me select it and it won't drop down. i have also tried swiping vertical and horizontal in both landscape and portrait. still nothing. no idea how it crapped out like that

poncewattle

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Sounds defective, as if it's not "connected" physically and when the OS boots it doesn't detect it and hence disables software access to it.

Time to get it swapped. :(

vinnyw54

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
If anyone was wondering, had to send my phone in for replacement. HTC diagnosed the problem and said the camera module was "fried".

Hope no one else has this problem...

kensaunders

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same issue. the camera in first week worked for 2 days then had symptoms. above. then Vodafone sent an update and the camera started working. but then an internet settings update from Vodafone came through and has done the same thing and now stuck on front cam. will do above and head to Vodafone store

Ben Butler1

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
My camera will not even open I click on the camera and it says unable to open. And I cannot post photos on any social site or use face unlock

Lencil

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
My camera worked fine up until a week ago.
Whenever i start up the camera it starts up with a stillframe taken the second i start the camera.
This goes for both the front and rear camera???
If i press the "capture" button, it takes a picture, so the camera works fine, but I cant see what im taking a picture of?
When i press the camcorder, the screen turns on, and it works fine.
When i try to take a Zoe, it only takes stillframes, but wont show me the motion-picture???

Has anyone else had those problems?

I have tried to reboot the hpone, but no luck :-(

Pauline Dickinson

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem since yesterday.
Camera does a frozen picture as soon as I select camera. Will take another photo, but you can't see what you are taking before hand.

Tried reseting camera to defaults and hard shutdown of whole phone - didn't fix the issue.

Think I'll head to shop today. Will update you later.

CliveS

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Had exactly same problem on HTC One (camera takes pictures OK but shows fixed image on display; video works perfectly normally). HTC Support suggested the following, which fixed the problem for me... I think it may be Step 5 which perhaps others haven't tried before, and which maybe makes the difference.

As a first step please try to wipe the application data of the camera. In order to do this please follow these steps.
>>>>>>
Step 1: From the home screen, tap the Applications icon.
Step 2: Scroll to and tap Settings.
Step 3: Scroll to and tap Apps.
Step 4: Scroll to and tap the required application.
Step 5: Scroll to and tap Clear data.
Step 6: Tap OK.
Step 7: The application data has been cleared.

Follow this try to perform a Soft Reset, for this please hold the power button for approximately 15 seconds until the device switches off.
<<<<<

As I say, that made my camera display work perfectly OK again.

But HTC went on to say the following (in case the above fix didn't work for you) - this is a much more severe process.

>>>>>
Should this step not resolve the issue for you please back up all your data to your computer. If your phone is linked to a google account all your contacts should be saved already. However, please double check under the contacts/ people section in your google account. The google account will not automatically save your media files. The easiest solution for this is if you use HTC Sync Manager.
Once you have backed up all the data on your device please perform a Factory Data Reset. This will delete all the data on your device and reset it to the default settings. However, it resolves software issues in most cases. To perform a Factory Data Reset please follow these steps.

Step 1: Before continuing please be aware that this will delete all media and data and reset all settings from the handset memory. Make sure to back up any music, photos etc. before continuing.
From the home screen, tap the Applications icon.
Step 2: Scroll to and tap Settings.
Step 3: Scroll to and tap Backup & reset.
Step 4: Tap Reset phone.
Step 5: If required, scroll to and tap Erase all data. Tap OK.
Note: This will erase the 32/64GB built-in memory.
Step 6: Tap OK.
Step 7: The handset will be restored to factory settings.
<<<<<

cyrollan

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
i'd like to find out too. i tried replacing the rear-facing camera ($10 off ebay) and still no dice. this "camera module" must be separate from the camera itself?

maliulusal

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
If anyone was wondering, had to send my phone in for replacement. HTC diagnosed the problem and said the camera module was "fried".

Hope no one else has this problem...

I am curious that how many days did it take to HTC replace your phone? Did you pay anything? If you answer me I would be very happy, because I couldn't find that experience the same thing?

Cal Bingham

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
My camera app wont even open it comes up with unable to start so dont know what problem it is so anyone else have this problem. And i have htc one mini