No "drag" required to unlock?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Dunno about that. In the few minutes that I handled the HTC One for yesterday, tapping the screen did nothing except show a message 'Drag to unlock' or something similar. I had to actually swipe the screen or drag an icon to be able to unlock the device. Maybe I just got lucky in the few minutes that I played with the phone.

Right that's how its supposed to work, and it did it a couple of times for me when I first got the phone and now its just a tap.

leebo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if we've installed an app that's taken control. I'm going through everything now just to see but I'm at a loss.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

leebo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, maybe this will give one of you an insight. It hasn't me but here goes.
If you drag up the clock right to the top the clock will force it's way back down & is replaced with a "pull up to unlock" for a few seconds then the clock re appears.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
OK so bit the bullet and did a factory reset - fixed the issue, now says "drag to unlock" when you just tap the screen and also "decline" an incoming call now works (I think what it was doing was just jumping to the home screen and that accepted the call!). Now slowly adding things back to see if I can find out what broke it to begin with ...

leebo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You're very brave. It's a bit of a worry that something like that can happen.
Now you mention it any calls I be been getting have been answered automatically. Hmm..
This has now become an obsession with me.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
OK so bit the bullet and did a factory reset - fixed the issue, now says "drag to unlock" when you just tap the screen and also "decline" an incoming call now works (I think what it was doing was just jumping to the home screen and that accepted the call!). Now slowly adding things back to see if I can find out what broke it to begin with ...
Good to hear that you kinda figured it out.

I checked my phone and I get the 'drag to unlock' message every time, and I don't have any apps installed, other than the ones that the phone came with.

leebo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been uninstalling various apps to try & found the culprit & I'm sad to say it the excellent Notify Me.

A system wide notification reminiscent of iOS. I'll be sorry not to be able to use it. I'll be getting in touch with the developer tomorrow & hopefully he'll be able to sort it out.

My lockscreen now works as it's supposed to.
If I have any more info of the developer I'll post it here.

leebo

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
On further investigation with other notify apps or seems that any Accessibility service when switched on will cause the lockscreen to unlock with just a tap.

There may be something in the code of these apps that keep the lockscreen awake & only partially locked so notifications can come through.

It looks as if only htc can sorry this out.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
leebo,

Wow...thank you so much. This has been driving me crazy. That was some seriously good detective work.

I can add that while I don't have that app, I do have Notifier Pro Plus, so apparently that genre of notification apps, are conflicting with our lock screens. Mystery solved, and thanks again!

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
OK I think I found it, after spending another 5 hours setting up/configuring my phone. I did the factory reset via Clockworkmod, phone reboots and works perfectly (drag to unlock, dismissing calls). So I start reinstalling apps, configuring accounts. Everything is great, I get everything installed, organized into folders (I have a lot of apps I use). All the while as I'm installing apps I'm checking the unlock and its sitll working. I think it's a fluke, then I start Light Flow, recover my saved settings and let it use root via SuperSU. Now the lock screen is broken. So it's either Light Flow or its SuperSu. Sigh. I'm going to reset again, switch to Super User and see if that makes a difference.

Leebo, Are you using either SuperSU or Light Flow?

Edit: OK so I missed your earlier posts (forgot to refresh my browser and go to page two!). I can confirm it is simply turning on Accessibility for an app (my culprit was Light Flow - I didn't even have to setup the app, just turning on accessibility broke the lock screen). Turning Accessibility back off fixes the problem, which is good, since I did a back up before resetting my phone.

This is a pretty big problem - I can't use my Pebble watch or Tasker or a number of other things. Does this happen on any version of the One? Mine's the Developer Edition. Is it only happening on phones with unlocked bootloaders or rooted?

Last edited:

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine is a regular locked AT&T model with no modification, as-is right out of the box, and has the same problem.

Last edited:

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, kinda hard to believe this sort of bug made it through QA, but there you go, these are complex devices. I've decided to live with it for now as I don't want to give up the functionality ofTasker and my Pebble watch. Hopefully we'll get an answer from HTC if this is a known bug and if the fix is in that update that's working its way through Europe.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, when the music controls are displayed on the lock screen, if you press pause or one of the other controls, it executes the command but also unlocks the phone and launches the music/podcast app in question . Ugh. On my Nexus 4 the phone stays locked if I pause what I'm listening to from the lock screen.

Please let me know what I'm missing here! :)

I think that may be an issue with the Podcast app your are using. i use Pocket Casts and using the lock screen controls does not unlock my phone.

I also have to drag to unlock. Tapping does nothing.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think that may be an issue with the Podcast app your are using. i use Pocket Casts and using the lock screen controls does not unlock my phone.

I also have to drag to unlock. Tapping does nothing.

It's due to the "accessibility" bug, not the podcast player. If you have accessibility turned on for any app then any touch of the lock screen will unlock it. If I turn off accessibility for all my apps (I have three) then everything functions correctly (drag to unlock, podcast/music controls, etc.).

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI I have managed to get a formal issue logged with HTC, it's been escalated up the ladder. Should get a response back in 7 days or so (my guess is that will just be a verification though, it's going to take a release to fix this).

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi
This issue is a bug. Check accessibility settings. As soon as you let any application have the accessibility right the lock screen is broken.
It will unlock at a touch and answer incoming calls with the slightest touch.
Test it out, turn off the setting and see how the lock screen should work.

My pebble app is the one that gets me.

Russ

Posted via Android Central App

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry replied to an earlier page and had not seen the accessibility bug had been mentioned.
Russ

Posted via Android Central App

ranphi

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I have also encountered this same issue with both the AT&T HTC One and the Developer Edition of the phone. I've actually notified 2 different HTC contacts that have been participating in a discussion about the HTC One on Reddit. You can find the discussion here: Hello from HTC : Android

EDIT: (If you search for my handle, "DisconnectedChild", that will take you to the relevant posts in the Reddit thread).

One of them already got some of the HTC engineers to reply to this issue but it's still ongoing because they didn't seem to try using any third party apps that have an accessibility component, like the Pebble app or Light Flow. Hopefully they'll continue to follow up on this and issue an update to fix it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech