Reviews of the S4 and how it effects your opinion of the One

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has seeing all the reviews of the S4 influenced your opinion of the one? Most reviews I have read either flat out state that they prefer the One, albeit slightly, or imply that that is the case without explicitly saying it. The one notable exception is Cnet (who I often disagree with anyway). Androidcentral.com's review has made me glad I picked the One instead of waiting for the S4 (which was my initial plan, coming from a Note). Camera is huge to me, and while they prefer the look of the S4 camera app, they said the One is much better indoors and in low light. That describes about 80% of my picture taking.

So if you have a One, do the reviews make you question you choice? Do they reaffirm to you that you made the right choice?

If you don't have a One, have the reviews of the S4 helped sway you in your choice between the S4 and the One, and if so, which direction have you swayed?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Has seeing all the reviews of the S4 influenced your opinion of the one? Most reviews I have read either flat out state that they prefer the One, albeit slightly, or imply that that is the case without explicitly saying it. The one notable exception is Cnet (who I often disagree with anyway). Androidcentral.com's review has made me glad I picked the One instead of waiting for the S4 (which was my initial plan, coming from a Note). Camera is huge to me, and while they prefer the look of the S4 camera app, they said the One is much better indoors and in low light. That describes about 80% of my picture taking.

So if you have a One, do the reviews make you question you choice? Do they reaffirm to you that you made the right choice?

If you don't have a One, have the reviews of the S4 helped sway you in your choice between the S4 and the One, and if so, which direction have you swayed?

AC's reaffirmed mine.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I chose the One because like you I take most of my pictures in low light, indoors and post them on Instagram,Facebook or my computer. If I wanted a phone that takes great bigger pictures I would have went with the S4.. Add in Zoe and front facing speakers and the One fits my wants and needs to a T. I thought I would dislike Blink Feed but I actually use it alot. And Yes I do put a hard PLASTIC case on mine. But it's clear and shows off the true beauty of the phone

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way I would switch back to Samsung is if the screen has dramatically improved over the S3/note series I usually do not buy into reviews

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The only reviews I go by are my own! HTC and Motorola phones are the only two I ever consider! Both for their excellent build and signal strength! Which Samsung lacks in both!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reviews I go by are my own! HTC and Motorola phones are the only two I ever consider! Both for their excellent build and signal strength! Which Samsung lacks in both!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

[moto-tangent]

I ran a motorola droid (original) over with my car (please, don't ask) and it didn't even scratch! Everything still worked and there was no sign of damage!

[/moto-tangent]

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling it would go this way but honestly the Verge surprised me. They flat out said they're getting the One.

Alex's review was, as usual, spot on.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't do what others tell me too. I have my own opinion and like talking with others about theirs but there is nothing Samsung could offer short of a whole new phone design and getting rid of touchwiz that would even draw any interest.

Sent from my brilliant HTC One

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I like reading reviews, they are amusing and sometimes informative. But in the end I get the phone that I feel has the best features, is user friends, and comfortable to use. S4 fits all those need plus a lot more. Strip away the speakers from the One and you have just another run of the mill Android phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I like reading reviews, they are amusing and sometimes informative. But in the end I get the phone that I feel has the best features, is user friends, and comfortable to use. S4 fits all those need plus a lot more. Strip away the speakers from the One and you have just another run of the mill Android phone.

Speakers, build, screen, etc. Your reductionist look, while refreshing, is misguided.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

One of the worst statements I've ever read....so sad

Sent from my brilliant HTC One

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get dislike of reading reviews for information. Sure, I make my own decision based on what I like. But almost everyone who chose the One over the S4 did so by relying on what other people said about both phones (aka a review) since almost no one had handled BOTH devices prior to buying their One. Even once both are out, you can only learn so much by reading speck sheets and playing with phones in a carrier store.

That is like saying "If you strip out the S4's extra software featuers all you have is a run of the mill android phone." The One has very good build and feel, an excellent screen, and some unique software features of its own. As well as a camera that is very, very good in low light. Any phone is "run of the mill" if you strip out the features its manufacturer gave it to set it apart...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't get dislike of reading reviews for information. Sure, I make my own decision based on what I like. But almost everyone who chose the One over the S4 did so by relying on what other people said about both phones (aka a review) since almost no one had handled BOTH devices prior to buying their One. Even once both are out, you can only learn so much by reading speck sheets and playing with phones in a carrier store.

That is like saying "If you strip out the S4's extra software featuers all you have is a run of the mill android phone." The One has very good build and feel, an excellent screen, and some unique software features of its own. As well as a camera that is very, very good in low light. Any phone is "run of the mill" if you strip out the features its manufacturer gave it to set it apart...

lol..

"If you strip away TouchWiz, the S4 reveals itself as a cheap burner device, usually offered for a cent on contract, and it may or may not play video."

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Alex's review was great as well as the short video comparison between the 2 devices. I have always enjoyed HTC devices. I just got my One delivered yesterday and I'm glad with my decision.

Sent from there can only be HTC One

ShipWreck

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
S4 just that it's just another Galaxy so if that what folks like go for it but I advised my users to not be afraid to try other things and I always like how HTC does things where it looks like Samsung going to really start cookie cutting their phone like Apple does.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been a fan of Samsung since I switched to Android so I've just stuck with them... But I will say I am torn between the S4 and the HTC One.. Both phones honestly to me seem great but the HTC does have this new fresh look / feeling to me. I guess since I've owned all the galaxies I am just used to it so something new looks refreshing.

I am still stuck on the fence... :eek:.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

TheBiggestLie

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 4 owner here - The first round of Samsung S4 reviews have re-enforced my opinion that for what matters to me, HTC One is my next purchase. I was never interested in the Samsung features and from the sounds of it, they are more or less gimmicks as some of them only work on Samsungs own Apps anyway according to the review, and even then not consistently. Kind of echoes what an ex-colleague was saying about them as he now works for Samsung.

The HTC one is closer to the experience I'm after, it looks like HTC have concentrated on the user experience rather than spec chasing and that ties in closer to the experience I'm after. The only thing I'm concerned about is all the demo units I've seen have gap issues. The store person I talked to in the UK said that they don't consider them faults and wouldn't swap out a phone for that issue. Not sure what other stores policies are - I guess I'll just hope that the manufacturing issues have been tidied up on the latest batches, especially since I'm awaiting a black model.