Juice defender?

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Can someone explain how these apps actually work? Don't they just adjust settings which you can do manually? For example i have made a lot of adjustments in order to save battery so can i still benefit from downloading a battery saver app like juice defender??

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain how these apps actually work? Don't they just adjust settings which you can do manually? For example i have made a lot of adjustments in order to save battery so can i still benefit from downloading a battery saver app like juice defender??

That's pretty much it. There are some neat features that a lot of ROM's have too, like killing your wifi, etc. when the screen is off except to periodically check for pushed content. I don't like that feature if it's too controlled, because I believe e-mail should come the second it's sent, not when the phone decides to check for it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes but that's the point of the app, so you won't have to do it manually and you can customize the settings. I dont know anyone that wants to toggle mobile data each time the turn the screen off. So you can gave the app do it automatically to save battery. There's loads of settings in the ultimate version. But honestly, I haven't had to install it on this device. I easily make it through the day with a lot of juice left. There's another good app called Deep sleep battery saver that focuses more on putting your device into deepsleep (hibernate) rather than killing data connections. Both are good depending on your needs. But again I don't use either right now.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I like the idea of killing certain features when the phone is asleep. particularly over night, But i already have 3g off , mobile data off, bluetooth off, auto sync etc I prefer to do things manually in general! If i thought however that juice defender could still help then i would like to try it

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes but that's the point of the app, so you won't have to do it manually and you can customize the settings. I dont know anyone that wants to toggle mobile data each time the turn the screen off. So you can gave the app do it automatically to save battery. There's loads of settings in the ultimate version. But honestly, I haven't had to install it on this device. I easily make it through the day with a lot of juice left. There's another good app called Deep sleep battery saver that focuses more on putting your device into deepsleep (hibernate) rather than killing data connections. Both are good depending on your needs. But again I don't use either right now.

Which app do you think suits my needs better? The only function that i reckon is draining the battery would be wifi as i never turn that off, Most other 'battery drainers' are turned off already!!

Cheers

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Which app do you think suits my needs better? The only function that i reckon is draining the battery would be wifi as i never turn that off, Most other 'battery drainers' are turned off already!!

Cheers

What's using your battery now? I'm not using any apps to manage those things and I make it through easily. And this is keeping on mobile data, wifi and location services all day. But of course, that's with my usage which I would describe as medium for the most part. I mean if you want all those things off overnight, might as well put your phone in airplane mode and call it a night LOL. It depends on what's most important to you. With juice defender you can change the sync settings for how often and how long it syncs, what the device should do when there's no wifi, etc... Sounds like this is something you may like. But again, I am wondering what is draining your battery and how much battery life you need to have to turn all those things off.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Read the threads on juice defender and other apps. All these apps do is end up using more battery. If u kill a app to save battery yea u get small % saved but then when u reengage it the %u gained is lost because it starts its cycle of checking stuff. The best thing u can do is stop worrying about saving battery. Its a phone/mini computer its meant to b used. When battery is low charge it. At night plug it in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty much it. There are some neat features that a lot of ROM's have too, like killing your wifi, etc. when the screen is off except to periodically check for pushed content. I don't like that feature if it's too controlled, because I believe e-mail should come the second it's sent, not when the phone decides to check for it.

I agree with this. I don't like Juice Defender. I bought the paid version when I first came to Android and honestly.. I saw very small battery increase at the cost of phone functionality. I would rather have my phone working then having things like push email and notifications not working to save some battery.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Read the threads on juice defender and other apps. All these apps do is end up using more battery. If u kill a app to save battery yea u get small % saved but then when u reengage it the %u gained is lost because it starts its cycle of checking stuff. The best thing u can do is stop worrying about saving battery. Its a phone/mini computer its meant to b used. When battery is low charge it. At night plug it in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Personally I like juice defender and have found I gained overall battery use.. That's why the app is there. It's not a gimmick.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I use it to & although I did see an improvement on my Inspire, as well as on my One. You could also use your toggles to switch off what you do or don't need. Go into certain apps and have it sync when you open it. Or set the sync schedule.
Last week @ work I was able to go two days, before charging my phone. That's average use of mobile or WiFi, texting, email, calendar,Facebook & Twitter. Whether that had anything to do with JD or not, I can't complain!
Try it & see if it works for you. If not uninstall.

stevedebi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I used Juice defender on my HTC Amaze, but so far I'm OK without it on my One. In the battery save mode it turns off the data modem when the screen is off, which in my experience is what draws a lot of power (besides the screen, which is also a hog). Juice defender is nice because you can set it to turn the data on at intervals so that the phone can sync. I'll switch back to it if I decide the built in stuff isn't enough. I'm a fairly light user though, so it is possible I won't need it.

However, with JD you have to set it up to optimize it for your phone use. I takes some experimentation with the settings.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'll recommend battery guru instead. It's built by Qualcomm and optimised for our Snapdragon phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I was gonna purchase this app when I got my S4 but I don't think I will now. Thanks guys :)

I'm getting a $35 google play gift card with my phone so any suggestions on apps? I was thinking Super GNES would be one...those super nintendo games :) (i don't need to root my phone for this app do I?)

You HAVE to get switkey.

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I second the Battery Guru suggestion, seems to work great and uses a 3 day learning process to determine how you use you phone and how it should apply savings etc. I used Juice Defender for my EVO 3D and found it did not help much.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
your better with Kii it has the best of every keyboard. all swift is about is over charging for there product.
I would suggest swiftkey as well. It is a very awesome keyboard.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci