HTC One Screen Issue?

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello all...

Just got the HTC One. Awesome phone. However one thing I noticed is that my backlight seems to flicker very slightly on white screens. I mean it's definitely slight but if you stare atityou can certainly see it. Is this normal? Anyone else having this issue? If so any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
same. it's veryyy slight but it happens. not enough for me to want to return

Yeah not sure if it's enought to warrant a return. I mean it's very slight. Just happened to notice it. It does help taking it off auto brightness though. I think with the auto brightness on, it's continuesly adjusting to surrounding light, therefore creating the flickering effect we see so lightly. Just a theory though.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I had the exact same problem with my Nexus 7 when it updated to 4.2. I wonder if it is an Android problem. I never saw it on my Nexus S4G. Really disappointed... Maybe that is why the screen brightness is so high by default.

Yan Lee

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
same here. alrdy returned and asked for an exchange... but i guess it will probably be the same since you guys are having the same problem. but i do notice that it wont happen if you dont use powersafe mode, or if the brightness is high enough... kinda annoying and disappointed...

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
same here. alrdy returned and asked for an exchange... but i guess it will probably be the same since you guys are having the same problem. but i do notice that it wont happen if you dont use powersafe mode, or if the brightness is high enough... kinda annoying and disappointed...

As you say it seems to be PWM. If it so, it's hardware and not software. Is it to annoying? Too distracting? The frequency should be really low. HTC could put frequency higher.

You could check if it's really PWM and check it's frequency:

TFT Central

Testing and Interpretation chapter

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Controlling LED brightness using PWM - WFFwiki

It's a way of controlling brightness. There are PC monitors that have that.

For instance if you want the brighness on monitor to have 50% the monitor it's 50% of the time on and 50% of the time off with a given frequency. There are ways to measure it.

Interesting.

I have noticed that in controlled lighting situations the screen is much more stable, but any where with lighting and shade combined it seems more prelivant.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.

I have noticed that in controlled lighting situations the screen is much more stable, but any where with lighting and shade combined it seems more prelivant.

If you have a white screen, and have your phone fixed and you move your eyes quickly over the display you could notice the flicker more...

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have a white screen, and have your phone fixed and you move your eyes quickly over the display you could notice the flicker more...

Yes. Definitely notice it on solid white screens when I move my eyes. Doesn't happen in any other color of screen.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Yep having the same issue my thoughts was the auto brightness control and it only happens in low light situations. The flicker is subtle not noticeable unless starring at it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yep having the same issue my thoughts was the auto brightness control and it only happens in low light situations. The flicker is subtle not noticeable unless starring at it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yeah. You really have to look pretty hard. Not sure it's worth an exchange. Especially since it seems other have the same issues.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right on the money with the PWM thing. When you take into account the duty cycle and how, in AUTO anyway, everything is controlled by the ambient light sensor it may be an issue with a slightly over-sensitive sensor. Some of it is just inherent in the technology, but in the case of auto-brightness it's more about the hardware/software interacting correctly.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So it seems to be an PWM screen. Usually your eyes get used to. Neverthless there are people who are sensitive and when staring too much time to those monitors get headaches.

You can try to measure.

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Noticed that turning off the battery saver function helps out a bit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy