02-28-2016 04:37 AM
34 12
tools
    Hello all...

Just got the HTC One. Awesome phone. However one thing I noticed is that my backlight seems to flicker very slightly on white screens. I mean it's definitely slight but if you stare atityou can certainly see it. Is this normal? Anyone else having this issue? If so any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    04-25-2013 01:17 PM
    same. it's veryyy slight but it happens. not enough for me to want to return
    04-25-2013 01:18 PM
    Are you using auto brightness? That can cause flickering.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    04-25-2013 01:20 PM
    Are you using auto brightness? That can cause flickering.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    I am and haven't noticed it.
    04-25-2013 01:21 PM
    Yes I use autobrightnes.

04-25-2013 01:26 PM
    same. it's veryyy slight but it happens. not enough for me to want to return
    Yeah not sure if it's enought to warrant a return. I mean it's very slight. Just happened to notice it. It does help taking it off auto brightness though. I think with the auto brightness on, it's continuesly adjusting to surrounding light, therefore creating the flickering effect we see so lightly. Just a theory though.

04-25-2013 01:58 PM
    It can be PWM. If you put you brightness or max do you notice? If you put on minimum it should be more visible if it's PWM.
    04-25-2013 02:09 PM
    It can be PWM. If you put you brightness or max do you notice? If you put on minimum it should be more visible if it's PWM.
    What is PWM?

04-25-2013 02:13 PM
    Same here. I had the exact same problem with my Nexus 7 when it updated to 4.2. I wonder if it is an Android problem. I never saw it on my Nexus S4G. Really disappointed... Maybe that is why the screen brightness is so high by default.
    04-25-2013 02:17 PM
    Controlling LED brightness using PWM - WFFwiki

It's a way of controlling brightness. There are PC monitors that have that.

For instance if you want the brighness on monitor to have 50% the monitor it's 50% of the time on and 50% of the time off with a given frequency. There are ways to measure it.
    04-25-2013 02:26 PM
    same here. alrdy returned and asked for an exchange... but i guess it will probably be the same since you guys are having the same problem. but i do notice that it wont happen if you dont use powersafe mode, or if the brightness is high enough... kinda annoying and disappointed...
    04-25-2013 02:27 PM
    same here. alrdy returned and asked for an exchange... but i guess it will probably be the same since you guys are having the same problem. but i do notice that it wont happen if you dont use powersafe mode, or if the brightness is high enough... kinda annoying and disappointed...
    As you say it seems to be PWM. If it so, it's hardware and not software. Is it to annoying? Too distracting? The frequency should be really low. HTC could put frequency higher.

You could check if it's really PWM and check it's frequency:

TFT Central

Testing and Interpretation chapter
    BigDinCA likes this.
    04-25-2013 02:34 PM
    Controlling LED brightness using PWM - WFFwiki

It's a way of controlling brightness. There are PC monitors that have that.

For instance if you want the brighness on monitor to have 50% the monitor it's 50% of the time on and 50% of the time off with a given frequency. There are ways to measure it.
    Interesting.

I have noticed that in controlled lighting situations the screen is much more stable, but any where with lighting and shade combined it seems more prelivant.

04-25-2013 02:35 PM
    Interesting.

I have noticed that in controlled lighting situations the screen is much more stable, but any where with lighting and shade combined it seems more prelivant.

If you have a white screen, and have your phone fixed and you move your eyes quickly over the display you could notice the flicker more...
    04-25-2013 02:38 PM
    If you have a white screen, and have your phone fixed and you move your eyes quickly over the display you could notice the flicker more...
    Yes. Definitely notice it on solid white screens when I move my eyes. Doesn't happen in any other color of screen.

04-25-2013 02:42 PM
    Yep having the same issue my thoughts was the auto brightness control and it only happens in low light situations. The flicker is subtle not noticeable unless starring at it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-25-2013 02:45 PM
    Yep having the same issue my thoughts was the auto brightness control and it only happens in low light situations. The flicker is subtle not noticeable unless starring at it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah. You really have to look pretty hard. Not sure it's worth an exchange. Especially since it seems other have the same issues.

04-25-2013 02:50 PM
    I think you're right on the money with the PWM thing. When you take into account the duty cycle and how, in AUTO anyway, everything is controlled by the ambient light sensor it may be an issue with a slightly over-sensitive sensor. Some of it is just inherent in the technology, but in the case of auto-brightness it's more about the hardware/software interacting correctly.
    04-25-2013 02:54 PM
    So it seems to be an PWM screen. Usually your eyes get used to. Neverthless there are people who are sensitive and when staring too much time to those monitors get headaches.

You can try to measure.
    04-25-2013 02:54 PM
    Noticed that turning off the battery saver function helps out a bit too.

04-25-2013 02:55 PM
    because brightness get higher
    04-25-2013 02:57 PM
    If anyone else has had any different experiences, please let me know. Hints and other fix suggestions are welcome! :-)

04-25-2013 03:14 PM
    I'm usually very sensitive to this sort of issue, definitely see it on my nexus 7 (and a nook tablet I have), but after much staring and fiddling I still cannot see it on my HTC One. Either my unit doesn't have it, or it's just too subtle for me to see.
    04-25-2013 05:42 PM
    I'm usually very sensitive to this sort of issue, definitely see it on my nexus 7 (and a nook tablet I have), but after much staring and fiddling I still cannot see it on my HTC One. Either my unit doesn't have it, or it's just too subtle for me to see.
    It is subtle for sure. You really have to stare at it. Think some of it is also looking to hard for it...lol like an optical illusion or something.

karmamule likes this.
    04-25-2013 06:03 PM
    This is definitely an issue with the auto brightness control. I turned it off, and no matter how low I turned down the brightness, it did not flicker. With it on, it flickered all the time on the lower brightness. I had the same issue with the Nexus 7. I replaced the hardware, and it solved the problem until it updated to GB4.2. This is driving me nuts! I just spent 2 days setting it up. I really don't want to do that all over again...
    04-25-2013 06:10 PM
34 12