ATT HTC One Data Usage

santhon2

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My new HTC One has been sending data every time I turn it on. At least 5mb per day and at this rate it will use up my data allowance by itself without me even using it, i'm still on the 200mb plan. I noticed when i unlock it there is a satellite dish that comes on next to the 4glte logo for a few seconds. Keeping data off for now until i figure this out, any ideas?

felyke

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that icon is the gps looking for a signal. You can turn off location services, just look for it on the settings menu. Also go to maps and look for the menu and turn off any location reporting there as well. See how many apps are syncing and how frequently. Facebook and Twitter sync a lot if you don't control them. Go to their respective menus and look for it. Try to sync the less you can.

Sent from my HTCONE

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used about 900mb of wireless data since I got the phone 4 days ago :-\

Didn't you say in another post you stream music and use GPS guidance? The OP of this thread is saying it's doing it while idle.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

felyke

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Also turn off blinkfeed by removing any feed you have there or simply stop it from updating. Any app that auto-updates itself is going to use your precious data. Turn them off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You are mostly likely seeing this because of apps, sync settings and location settings. Location services are always pinging to collect location data. The key there is to make sure that apps like facebook and maps are not reporting your location. You can manage this in the settings of the apps and turn off and location reporting. Turn GPS off as well if you aren't using it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Didn't you say in another post you stream music and use GPS guidance? The OP of this thread is saying it's doing it while idle.

Yeah but I also thought he said he has unlimited too. So that should be a smiley face LOL.

santhon2

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It's sending data over the cell network, even when on wifi, every time I turn it on and before any apps are launched. Blinkfeed is off and so are my other apps. However, maps seems to be running on its own for some reason, even after I force stop it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used 5.19 mb. I know usage is very subjective, and I'm mostly on wifi, but that sound like a lot unless you never use wifi. (got mine on the 18th)

He could not be near wifi and he also uses gps and streams music. I stream a lot of music at work and I used 4g to download some from Google music to my phone and I've racked up a good amount. I have 12 days left in my billing cycle but I've got around 2GB+ on 3g and like 4GB+ on 4g used. Just depends what you do with your phone :).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366990522558.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366990522558.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 53

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
He could not be near wifi and he also uses gps and streams music. I stream a lot of music at work and I used 4g to download some from Google music to my phone and I've racked up a good amount. I have 12 days left in my billing cycle but I've got around 2GB+ on 3g and like 4GB+ on 4g used. Just depends what you do with your phone :).

Yes, I saw that he also went on a trip and was using the navigation. I've never done this, but doesn't that use up data?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It's sending data over the cell network, even when on wifi, every time I turn it on and before any apps are launched. Blinkfeed is off and so are my other apps. However, maps seems to be running on its own for some reason, even after I force stop it.

Go to the settings, ...More, Usage and scroll down. You can see what is using your data. You can also set a warning level and a shutoff level on this page, if you want.

santhon2

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'll try and clarify this. When I'm home, connected to my wifi and unlock the phone it sends data over the cell network. Nothing received, only sent. I logged on to my att account and looked at data usage by day and time and it shows every time the phone is unlocked data is being sent in varying amounts. I turned data off last night and this morning ay account shows no data usage.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have 18 days left and I have used 1.8gbs! I haven't once streamed music. I love my phone tons, but I have to say the battery and data usage issue is going to make me return my phone.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have 18 days left and I have used 1.8gbs! I haven't once streamed music. I love my phone tons, but I have to say the battery and data usage issue is going to make me return my phone.
Maybe you're just using the phone and apps more because you love the phone too much, thus consuming more data? :p

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I am using the phone more, because it's new and awesome. However, I am unable to use the phone at work so I leave it in my car and mainly use it home on wifi. While I am at work I put my phone on airplane mode. I just don't think I should be constantly turning off wifi and apps to make sure I don't gobble down data. My previous phones I would leave on every setting, stream music, use navigation and I not once got close to going over my usage. This has me concerned big time.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I am using the phone more, because it's new and awesome. However, I am unable to use the phone at work so I leave it in my car and mainly use it home on wifi. While I am at work I put my phone on airplane mode. I just don't think I should be constantly turning off wifi and apps to make sure I don't gobble down data. My previous phones I would leave on every setting, stream music, use navigation and I not once got close to going over my usage. This has me concerned big time.
I'm not aware of what phone you were using before, but the One probably streams 1080p videos, so you'll likely be consuming tons of data more than your previous phone (if it was anything less than 1080p).

Does the One, or Android (Jellybean) in general, have a toggle to force apps to stream non-HD videos if on 3G/4G Data?

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've use 83MG in 4 days. Plenty of browsing, 3 email accounts, Blinkfeed etc... I did turn off every gallery sync I could find. Not sure if those download, but I don't need pics I don't take on my phone. Turned off Location Services in Google as well yesterday.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

You probably shouldn't leave in the car if it gets hot. That is bad for the battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed