Still indecisive! HTC One or S4?

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, everyone! My contract is close to its expiration, and I was wondering what phone I should get to replace my LG Optimus S. Both the HTC One and GS4 are great phones, and I'd be very complacent to get either one of them since they are a HUGH upgrade from the Optimus S.

However, as a high school student, I was wondering which of them would be much better/more helpful/more convenient for me in the next two years under a new contract. I'll be using my phone more for the camera, music player, more accessible games to pass time, and to help me with certain tasks with the browser or certain apps (searching up things, sparknotes, AP notes, etc.)

HTC Pros: pretty much everything; almost zero lag, audio quality, pretty good (but not great) camera & its features, design, 32 GB memory = more music and pics.
Cons: although overall it is much better than my current phone's and is amongst the top, the HTC's 4 MP camera is kind of what holds me back at times. Also, the no menu button might slightly bother me and the phone is almost irreparable if it breaks.

S4 Pros: better simplicity, better convenience, somewhat better camera than the One's, useful Multi-Window, it looks easier to use, reparable, expandable memory and replaceable battery
Cons: some minor lag issues, 16GB might not be enough (but its more than my Optimus S's 2 GB lol).

Note: those are from what I've heard/seen from reviews.
Anyways, sorry for making this post long! Please help me out with either experiences from these phones or with any info!

Thanks, and sorry if this might be the wrong thread.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
First of all if you are a high school student and plan on going to college I am sure you will do well because you are detail oriented and that is what we look for in answering these questions so....

You have alreadly listed good points but what I would do is to to to HTC and also Samsung US | TVs ? Tablets ? Smartphones ? Cameras ? Laptops ? Refrigerators and pull the stats on both phones and do a side by side comparison yourself. No influence and forget what you read, Remember that is marketing, you are doing your own marketing. If you want specific opinions after that yell at me and I would be glad to give you some opinions. :)

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! You are right about that marketing. I've already compared them, but since I still can't find a resolution, I'll ask for opinions :)
I'm not a photographer-type of guy, and I've seen that both have great cameras. That said, out of the two which is better for picture-taking and video recording to keep in my memories or share in social networks (like twitter, instagram, or snapchat)?
And which one would also deliver a better browser experience for both educational needs and leisurely pass time?

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd say HTC was better for your social networking photos as that's what the camera is designed for... I've heard the Samsung has the better browser but not by a noticeable amount but I guess if your reading largely text based sites for education the eye scrolling/pausing would be great while taking notes or while watching videos and taking notes

If the scrolling actually works as well as Samsung would like us to believe

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Yeah, the eye scrolling or air view features sound pretty enticing. However, I just think that trying to get the features to properly work would take up more time so I haven't really considered those. Also I've seen the HTC with flash, but does the S4 support it as well?

And yep, I'll be using BoomSound on a daily basis.

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Get the s4 from tmobile and you won't be tied down for 2 years. If you don't like the phone, gazelle it and get the one. TMo new plans are great like that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I compared the two for quite some time and made my decision. Both are great phones but the hTC just seemed to be the One :)p) for me.
One :)p) week in and I still don't regret the decision.....but its more about personal preference.

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I compared the two for quite some time and made my decision. Both are great phones but the hTC just seemed to be the One :)p) for me.
One :)p) week in and I still don't regret the decision.....but its more about personal preference.

How was the camera and overall performance (like the browser's)?

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How was the camera and overall performance (like the browser's)?

I had an Evo LTE before and I thought that thing was good....but the One has really impressed me. The camera is head and shoulders better than my old Evo LTE. As far as browsers go, I only use Chrome and it has felt pretty snappy IMO....can't really slow it down.

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had an Evo LTE before and I thought that thing was good....but the One has really impressed me. The camera is head and shoulders better than my old Evo LTE. As far as browsers go, I only use Chrome and it has felt pretty snappy IMO....can't really slow it down.

Thank you for the insight :) I hope the camera impresses me like that also! And I see. Does it let you access all types of websites like how it lets you on a computer, or lets you stream videos from websites other than youtube with the HTC's flash support?

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the insight :) I hope the camera impresses me like that also! And I see. Does it let you access all types of websites like how it lets you on a computer, or lets you stream videos from websites other than youtube with the HTC's flash support?

Chrome (on the phone) doesn't have flash enabled although I was able to play videos on some websites (non flash based video). You can choose mobile view or Desktop View to see mobile/normal versions of websites.
I just opened the stock browser for the first time to test out flash....it works on there.

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I forgot to mention this, though. Besides capturing memories, I'll also be using the camera to take quick pictures of notes on the board or pages from a book when the situation calls for it. I've heard that the One doesn't zoom in as much, and paired with its 4 megapixels, the letters might come out as blurry. What are your takes on this?

And the browser sounds good then. But compared to the S4's browser, are there features that it has that the One's doesn't? I won't consider the air view features, though. Trying to get them to work more consistently will take more time than using the browser manually. I know that both will deliver fast performances, but I'm just trying to determine which would be more efficient and helpful. So when it comes down to using the browser with multiple websites/tabs open (i.e. for school-related websites), which one would load pages more quickly, and switch tabs and browse pages faster?

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I also have this posted in the S4 forums. Hope this helps. BTW... the multi window feature is fantastic. You may find use for it as a student.

As with any user comparison, the views and thoughts are purely subjective. I don't pass this off as fact. This comparison is based off of MY own experiences with both. Both devices are with AT&T. I owned the One and currently own the S4.

HARDWARE
Well, the forums are alive with the debate over who has the better hardware. I must say that I was truly enamored with the aesthetics of the One. It is narrow enough to fit in the hand well. The curved back also adds to this feeling. The phone still feels light even with the aluminum build. BoomSound is phenomenal. Sound is nice and full. Button placement was horrible for me. The power button is too recessed and I didn't like the capacitive buttons. This doesn't mean they're not functional; I just didn't like it. The S4 is sexy for what it brings to the table. I prefer not using a case and the soft rounded edges of the plastic feels better in my hand. The button placement works better for me as I don't have to adjust my hand once I turn on the screen or to use it. The sound cannot compete with the One. If I had my choice, I would prefer all manufacturers utilized the software buttons of the Nexus. Having said that, I'll take the S4 button placement over the One. Overall, I prefer the look of the One but the S4 is a close enough second to not make a difference for ME.

FEATURES
I will not regurgitate the plethora of features from both devices as it has been discussed ad nauseam. Personally, I prefer having the options available than not. In my opinion, they are not gimmicks. They're options that you don't have to use if you choose not to. Whether the S4's features are as functional as some would like is another discussion. They can be used in some capacity for a particular situation. I give the edge to the S4 for this reason alone. Specifically, here is what I missed: Blocking mode- can you find an alternative in the play store, yes. But it is nice knowing it is built into the software. S Beam- many of my family members own S3's or Notes and it is nice being able to share music when the situation arises. The gallery of the S4 is more appealing and familiarity makes it easier to use for ME.

CAMERA
Hmm... I am not technical enough to articulate the specifics of imagery. As an average camera operator, I didn't see enough of a difference in the pictures or videos that would have tilted my decision to one phone or the other. I do enjoy the available of options for the camera on the S4. I have already dabbled with the dual camera function and it is great. My daughter gets tickled recording and watching herself already.

USER INTERACTION
This was big for me. I use my device about 50/50 for business and personal and I utilize the Google ecosystem. Pardon the hodge podge of thoughts as I speak on this topic. I enjoy the using both skins. I found the One to be a little more mature or adult as opposed to the S4. I dislike the colorful icons of the S4 (I am aware of the different launchers as well- just speaking of stock as I have Nova).

Lock Screen- Definitely the One. I used the productivity lock screen and really enjoyed how the incoming calls, messages and calendar entries are done.
Messaging- The One. I don't necessarily care for bubbles in messages. The straight forward approach of the One was perfect. I specifically like the black background with blue lettering.
Dialer- Push. Prefer the Sense version but it wouldn't tilt my decision.
Browser- Push. I use Chrome 90% of the time and didn't see a difference in speed or rendering

SCREEN
This is purely subjective. It really depends on what the end user enjoys. I don't think the majority of buyers will see the more accurate color of the One. I worked at Best Buy many, many years ago (for that lovely discount) in the TV area. The average buyer cared only for the pop of color than accuracy. No matter how much you educate or inform, they're viewing the screen and they want to be happy with what they have. I don't want this to be a discussion on PPI and what technical experts say. When I look at the screens of both, the text clarity is superb. I don't see a difference. Also, the AMOLED display is not as saturated as previous iterations. Looking at videos and pictures was equally impressive. This made it a push for me because I could live with both. The single item of difference in the screens is the overall brightness of the One over the S4. Images look painted on both screens.

MISC
Removable vs. Non Removable battery and storage is subjective as well. There is no right or wrong answer. I prefer the insurance of the removable battery. For me, it is much easier to swap a battery and go than carry a portable charging device.

In conclusion, you really can't go wrong with these devices. I hope everyone goes out and uses each phone to make a choice instead of listening to the One or S4 partisan arguments. Buy what fits you and be happy. The S4 is like those comfortable jeans you enjoy wearing. Although there are options just as good, it fits perfect when you put them on. What I've learned is if HTC softens the corners of the One, changes the button placement and provides a removable battery, I may just own one for longer than a week.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the note 2 could be an option for you, as a student it would come in handy! I've noticed the younger people seem to like the s4 and us older folks prefer the louder and better viewing screen of the one!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the note 2 could be an option for you, as a student it would come in handy! I've noticed the younger people seem to like the s4 and us older folks prefer the louder and better viewing screen of the one!

I concur with his suggestion. The Note 2 would be a great device as well.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

othercents

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC One spcefically for the camera however the BoomSound and social integration was a plus. If you typically take pictures in well lit areas the the camera won't be as important to you.
Keep in mind performance wise the S4 is still going to perform better than the S3 or older last year models.

Other

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums