HTC One camera focusing issue?

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the One on the day one it was released(ATT). The phone is really nice. I think the camera has focus issue when shooting at infinity focal length. Close up or close distant object camera seems to do good job, but when taking landscape, etc... The photo is 70% of the time blurry(landscape shot). Do I have a defect camera in my phone? Am I asking too much from camera phone? Can someone check landscape photo from your One? Thanks in advance...

Paul Halton

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. close ups look great, but landscapes are blurry. very disappointed! grateful for any ideas about howe to set up better. Cheers, Paul

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea make sure to tap the screen to the area you want the cam to focus on. It has nothing to do with the 4mp sensor.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
No 4mp is only the size of the photo.....are you guys tapping somewhere on the screen to set a focal point?
Exactly. That also means that there won't be as much detail as there isn't as much data captured which could be the issue if you're taking distance shots.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. That also means that there won't be as much detail as there isn't as much data captured which could be the issue if you're taking distance shots.
Negative.....Evo owners have had this discussion thousands of times before when the Evo 3d came out with a 5mp camera replacing the Evo with an 8mp camera....everyone wondered why they downgraded....they didn't....picture quality has to do with the sensor, not the mp size, there are some awesome 8mp shooters out there that blow away 12mp shooters in picture quality

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Negative.....Evo owners have had this discussion thousands of times before when the Evo 3d came out with a 5mp camera replacing the Evo with an 8mp camera....everyone wondered why they downgraded....they didn't....picture quality has to do with the sensor, not the mp size, there are some awesome 8mp shooters out there that blow away 12mp shooters in picture quality
I'm aware of how sensors and mp can impact image quality. The fact is, though, at 4 mp is simply less data than a camera with more mps. I've been underwhelmed with the pictures my One is taking as well, the image quality just isn't there. In fact, the PNC Bank app is less useful due to the One's camera. I can no longer deposit checks from my phone because it can't take a clear enough picture for PNC to accept.

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware of how sensors and mp can impact image quality. The fact is, though, at 4 mp is simply less data than a camera with more mps. I've been underwhelmed with the pictures my One is taking as well, the image quality just isn't there. In fact, the PNC Bank app is less useful due to the One's camera. I can no longer deposit checks from my phone because it can't take a clear enough picture for PNC to accept.

I haven't used the app but this sounds completely unbelievable. So the attached pic would be unusable for the purposes of identifying text as it would appear on a check?

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367942120346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367942120346.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 96

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So the attached pic would be unusable for the purposes of identifying text as it would appear on a check?
It's odd for sure. Someone in another thread reported the same experience with a BoA app. It could be that the apps require a certain resolution above 4MP. It also could be that the camera needs to be in macro mode and since the One doesn't automatically switch to macro mode like... ya know... every other camera that it can't take a clear enough picture. Or it could just be that the app needs to be updated. Who knows.

tsmith35

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I spoke at length with HTC tech support. They are aware of the focus issue (once they contacted tier 2 support staff) and are working to correct it via software update. You can read the acknowledgement that T-mobile posted.

Personal experience has been that bright lighting or very high contrast throws off the focusing. A picture of a check on a neutral table in a well lit room with no glare works well. A picture of a white check on a dark pine table with the overhead lighting causing the check to appear very bright doesn't work at all (at least, not for me). Outdoor shots on a cloudy day with a bright, white sky behind a darker subject cause severe focus problems for me. Indoor shots of spot-lighted artwork on the wall of a darkened museum don't work for me either.

While HTC was walking me through the standard troubleshooting steps, I noticed something very interesting in my test scene: a pair of dark shoes laying on a white sheet. The bed was illuminated by either direct sunlight through a sheer curtain or by a darker, very diffuse light from passing clouds shining through said curtain, depending on when I looked. When the diffuse lighting illuminated the bed, I could get a good picture. When direct sunlight illuminated the bed, the camera refused to focus properly, regardless of any attempts I made to set the focus point by tapping on the screen. During the entire time that the camera was pointed at the direct-sunlit bed, the lens was constantly refocusing; it made the image on the screen appear to be jumping constantly. I mentioned that to HTC as well.

It's a great phone, but I'll need to be able to use it outside or in high-contrast and brightly lit situations. Of course, your mileage may vary.

notoriousroc1

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Any update on this? I've been experiencing these issues too. Shortly after my 14-day return policy at BestBuy expired. Great phone but this camera issue is just terrible! It's virtually unusable.

To all of you folks with perfectly fine HTC One cameras: when in camera mode and you put the phone near your ear and flip it upside down and back again, can you hear a low click sound? Kind of like something moving around when the phone moves? I hear this on mine with a bad camera.

Patrick Williams13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I also have a focus issue but it's with the video. If I try to snap a video it keeps going blurry and then focuses then goes blurry so the only way around is to lock the focus pressing finger on screen for one second. Disappointed in camera in all areas except low light.

Posted via Android Central App

Will Johnson2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm I have exactly the same problem here in the UK with my 8 week old HTC One. As a last ditch attempt I am going to perform a hard reset on it and see if that makes a difference!

notoriousroc1

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm I have exactly the same problem here in the UK with my 8 week old HTC One. As a last ditch attempt I am going to perform a hard reset on it and see if that makes a difference!

Good luck. I just did one today with no improvement. Going to an AT&T store today. Any suggestions as far as how to approach getting this fixed? Are AT&T users going to AT&T service centers or sending the phone into HTC? Which won't give me a refurb replacement?

Will Johnson2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know... I did a full restore, blank setup and took a ton of sample pictures around the garden, in the house last night. 90% were out of focus and blurred. Now, an interesting thought.... are we running Android 4.2.2?
I only ask this because my HTC One came originally with 4.2.1, and I don't remember the camera being rubbish when I first got it (or I would have taken it back straight away!). Does anyone here have 4.2.1 still and still having problems? I have sent HTC UK and email and if I dont hear back from them within 48 hours I will ring them up. I might try downgrade my phone to an earlier android version and see if it makes a difference?

Cheers guys,
Will

frank000333

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My camera takes horrible pictures as well. My HTC REZOUND took better pictures than my new HTC ONE. The ONE is a great phone but the camera makes me wish i had got the galaxy s4. :(

I even think my htc thunderbolt took better pictures than the ONE. Most of my pictures are out of focus/blurry. :(

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My camera takes horrible pictures as well. My HTC REZOUND took better pictures than my new HTC ONE. The ONE is a great phone but the camera makes me wish i had got the galaxy s4. :(

I even think my htc thunderbolt took better pictures than the ONE. Most of my pictures are out of focus/blurry. :(

I keep thinking the same,specially that now I have the purple tint bug in low light!
I am giving HTC about a month to give us a fix via rom update or I will swap it with an S4