Menu bar on app with menu button

Knepster

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else seeing this? The BBC News app has a menu button and yet I'm still getting the black bar. Pressing either of them bring up the exact same menu. I haven't noticed this redundancy with any other apps, though I'll keep an eye out.

uploadfromtaptalk1367283436696.jpg

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Every once and a while YouTube will even do this... Very strange

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue in one app but I don't remember which it was. I've got my back button working as a menu now so I can't even go back and check. I knew it wasn't BBC though because I don't have that app.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How'd you do that?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

I unlocked my bootloader, flashed a new recovery, rooted, and installed Xposed Framework, which gives you a lot of easy to use mods, including the option to have a long press of the back button act as a menu button, killing the dreaded black bar. I can post links to the relevant XDA threads if anyone is interested. It's all done through very easy to use, noob proof tools. Nearly no risk of ruining your phone.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Toolkit that walks you through unlocking the bootloader, then installs a recovery for you and roots for you:
[TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

Install the Xposed Mod framework:
[MOD] How to install 'Xposed' on the HTC One - xda-developers

And finally, the Back/Menu button mod:
[XMOD] Re-enable the missing back button options - xda-developers

You must do these things in the order I have them posted, as each successive mod requires the one before it to work properly, you can't just skip straight to the back button mod. If you need any more help, PM me and I'll do what I can, or ask on XDA as I am a complete amateur compared to most of those guys over there.

kzibart

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing happen on Shortyz Crosswords. I e-mailed the developer but haven't gotten a response. I figure there must be some "right" way to implement your own menu button, and if you don't do it that way, the OS figures it has to add its own or something.

Also, here's a link to another thread that talks about removing the menu bar (complete with a link to the XDA thread).