"Zero" Gap?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
So basically, with my 14 day return window approaching its end, I'm being thorough in making sure there are no quality control issues. Upon closely examining the top of my phone, I see what appears to be a small gap on the font side. Sure enough, if I push down on it, the gap closes. Does anybody else have this issue? And secondly, is it something that would prompt you to do a return for a new one?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367383768480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367383768480.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 243

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So basically, with my 14 day return window approaching its end, I'm being thorough in making sure there are no quality control issues. Upon closely examining the top of my phone, I see what appears to be a small gap on the font side. Sure enough, if I push down on it, the gap closes. Does anybody else have this issue? And secondly, is it something that would prompt you to do a return for a new one?

Almost everyone has it, and its been discussed ad nauseum in several other threads. If it bothers you, you should be able to exchange it. Also, the zero gap only applies to the segments on the rear and leading into the white plastic from the back to the sides.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Dangit man. I just noticed it myself. Thanks OP, I never noticed till you mentioned this. It's not bad but it shouldn't be there and I bet if you/we exchange it, the possibility of getting another with this is pretty good.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, after doing more research online it sounds like this is a pretty widespread issue, affecting most phones in the same spots. Apparently the "uni-body" design refers specifically to the back, and not the front where the top and bottom speaker grills have been glued on. The gaps aren't huge, but it is a tad disappointing when you pay $600 for a phone that hypes a "zero" gap, uni-body design. Being that I pre-ordered online with Sprint, I'm debating whether or not to take action. I'm guessing a return/swap process would be smoother in-store, especially for the purpose of inspecting the new phone immediately for the gaps. I love the phone otherwise and it would suck if the new one had even worse gap issues. FInal 2 days to decide!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This is HTC's first run at an aluminum phone. Given the issues they have with building them fast enough I have little doubt there are gaps that will appear or are already on a phone. The IPhone is no better just read their threads. How about dust under the camera lens, lens that are offset.Nicks, chips and other defects out of the box.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Every single HTC One that I have seen has this to some degree. Mine does, but I never would have noticed it had it not been for the forum postings. I don't know if it will be worth it to go and exchange and get a new one. I guess you could go on store and ask to have them keep opening boxes until you find one without it. I got mine on the 20th so my Window for exchange is slowly approaching. If anyone has exchanged and received a new phone with zero separation on top please let us know and maybe post a few pics. Thank you.

Posted via Android Central App

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Like others have posted, the 'Zero-gap' does not apply to the front speaker panels. Apparently (as said by an HTC employee on Reddit), the tolerance level for the 'Zero-gap' thing is 0.2mm (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure how much gap that actually is though :)

@OP... to answer your question, my phone has a slight gap at the exact same place as yours, and I don't think it's bothersome enough for me to return it. The phone itself is great, and I don't see why I should buy some other competing phone for such a trivial (to me) thing :)

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Like others have posted, the 'Zero-gap' does not apply to the front speaker panels. Apparently (as said by an HTC employee on Reddit), the tolerance level for the 'Zero-gap' thing is 0.2mm (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure how much gap that actually is though :)

@OP... to answer your question, my phone has a slight gap at the exact same place as yours, and I don't think it's bothersome enough for me to return it. The phone itself is great, and I don't see why I should buy some other competing phone for such a trivial (to me) thing :)

Agreed. It's pretty minor, and knowing that most of us have the same issue does make it seem more tolerable, lol. I am however going to Sprint today to looks at the black version (what I originally wanted and they finally have in stock). If I make the switch it will all be for nothing anyways, ha.

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
This issue makes me laugh, The zero gap refers to the unibody, the speaker grills were stuck on separate thats why these 'gaps' are always under the speaker grill :)

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have no gaps. That said, I wouldn't be returning mine if it had minor gaps. My screen is slightly raised above the speaker grills and I can live with that. It only bugs me because I'm OCD about things like this, but I've learned to deal with it.

I've had this since the 25th and tested everything I've seen people have issues with. The only thing I haven't been able to resolve is my Bluetooth Wireless streamer doesn't get discovered. I hope this is cured by the update I've heard so much about.

This is the best phone I've ever owned or played with. I've owned a 3gs, EVO 3D and now the One. In addition to that, I work in IT and have supported just about every popular phone on the market from BB's to Iphone's to Androids. I haven't seen a popular phone out yet that someone hasn't come complaining to me about something.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not trying to change your decision or anything, but the black one will be more susceptible to scratching/losing the black color (just like with the black iPhone 5), so think about it :)

True, I've been seeing mixed feedback regarding the durability of the black. There have been some stories of easy scuffing and being a fingerprint magnet, but the recent scratch test video makes it look pretty solid. The pics i've seen of scratches and scuffs all seem to be on the top and bottom grills, but not on the main body. I'll take a seriously close look in the store. If I make the switch, hopefully it resets my 14 day return window to test its durability.

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Took mine back because of this and a crackle in the speakers when I watched YouTube videos...
Wouldn't you know it. New one was almost perfect on the build but had a worse crackle and a dead pixel.
This sucks! Reminds me of life with my Palm Pre...

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I would return it. Poor quality control and fit and finish should not be acceptable, especially after the big deal HTC made over the build on these. Dirt and crap will work its way in there and that gap will just get bigger and bigger until that piece falls off.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My phone has the gap at the same place as yours. I would have never noticed until this thread. I won't be swapping mine. My screen is higher than my top speaker grill on the left and middle. It's flush on the right side. My screen is lower than my bottom speaker grill. Is that how it is on everyone else's phone?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm at the Sprint store now, waiting to see what's up with this pixel issue. I think this is worse than a gap!
Should have stayed with my first one... Ugh.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I would return it. Poor quality control and fit and finish should not be acceptable, especially after the big deal HTC made over the build on these. Dirt and crap will work its way in there and that gap will just get bigger and bigger until that piece falls off.

I agree. As much as we pay for these phones, there should be better quality control during manufacturing. This reminds me of the light leaks on the OG Evo, the light leaks and tilted screens on the Evo 3D, and the horrid thunderbolt that they essentially abandoned and left customers in the cold with bugs and hardware issues. I like my "One". I do. But it seems their business practices have a lot to be desired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463