Thinking of changing to HTC One from Galaxys S4

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see the blocking mode which is similar to DND in iOS, and an inbuilt video call option.
I'm not aware of a high end android phone that doesn't support the video calling feature in gTalk these days. So in fact both the One and the S4 support video calling out of the box. No, it's not facetime but it is there. Another built in video chat feature can be found in g+ with hangouts.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
why dont you install Skype? If your iphone friends install Skype, you can video with them. At least Skype is multi-platform instead of Facetime. Even if Google do a built-in Video, it will only be on Android users. Besides Skype can integrate directly with your contacts, so it's almost a native experience atleast on Android.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Go with whatever phone makes you happy. I recently played with the S4 at my local at&t store ... I left feeling comfortable that I made the right choice with the HTC One, however that is my personal preference. In the end it is up to what makes you happy.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have recently received my galaxy s4 although I have noticed bubble like marks on the top of the screen (looks like it has a screen protector on it, when it doesnt have one). I went into the shop and noticed the one in store also had this.

I am tempted to change it for the HTC one. Has anyone had experiences of either phone? I upgraded from the galaxy s3 so I am familiar with the Galaxy S4 layout and I do like the big, bright screen but I cant see myself ever using the screen gesture items.

Since you have both phones you should be able to decide which you prefer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry I am late to this thread. To the OP, your questions are valid. I'm a tech and phone junkie and get almost every high end phone that comes out. I have both the HTC One and just got the S4. Both are nice phones but I really like the HTC One more. I agree with Purpleairplane about being able to transfer stuff from your Iphone. I had an Iphone 5 and the HTC sync manager is nice.

I'm still trying out the S4 but so far I'm not liking it as much as the HTC One. Everyone is different and we all have are own like and dislikes. The HTC One is just a better experience for me, both the hardware and software combined. The one thing I like a lot more on the S4 vs. the One is the way the buttons are placed and how it feels in my hand. I've never had a problem with the plastic construction of Samsung phones so that's not an issue for me.

Initially I wanted the S4 after both phones were announced, but I started hanging out on the HTC One forums and learning more info on the One. When I played with it in the At&t store that's when it won me over totally. The HTC one is just so smooth and I like blinklfeed. I even tried Nova launcher and then switched back to HTC sense. HTC really went out their why to make the whole experience nice.

To be fair, I've never cared that much for touchwiz. I like it a little better on the S4 but wish the S4 didn't stutter so much. Almost every single time when operate the phone after it's been sitting for a while it stutters .If I had never got the HTC One I could have tolerated it. Even my Oppo Find five runs smoother. This is probably the biggest issue with me. I expected the S4 to be just as fluid and smooth as the HTC One, and was really looking foward to trying it out so this is disappointing to me. I'm really trying to like this phone, and I do like some (the S4) but I keep wanting to pick up the HTC One and put my sim card back in it.

I may just end of rooting the S4 and putting a custom rom on it and using the HTC One as my daily driver.

gthmcty1

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Eldy3... I understand your predicament, I decided to jump from an iPhone to android and couldn't decide which phone to buy either so I bought the S4 and the One.

Let me start by saying that it is the S4 that has ended up on Ebay.

The pros of the One for me are the magnificent screen, the dual front facing stereo speakers, the design and feel of the unit, and the software that gets you up and running.

The software allows you to import everything, including SMS messages, from an iphone or another android phone to HTC Sync and away you go. I love this, especially as a user switching from an iPhone, it's great to have software that makes this switch so easy.

The dual front facing stereo speakers are WONDERFUL. Shortly after getting the One, I remember thinking 'why aren't all phones made this way, it's such a no brainer!'. In comparison, when the S4 is laying on a table face up, the speaker is covered and the ring volume is greatly reduced. Enter the One's victory. Also, how many times have you had to cup your hands over the rear or side facing speaking to hear audio on your phone? The One does away with that all together.

The built in keyboard I find very easy to use because all of the numbers, letters and even the most commonly used special characters are on the keys right there, all you need to do is press and hold. There's no need to hit a button to take you to the symbols and then another one to take you to the numbers, it's all right there. You can also press and hold for smileys and voice recognition. The only DOWN side I've notice so far is that the keyboard does not enter a space after a word that you accept from the 'next word prediction' unless you then select another word from the prediction. So that means that if you type 'what', it will predict the next word to be something like 'does'. If you select 'what' from the prediction after just typing WH and then start typing another word manually, it will not enter a space. Spaces are only automatically entered when selecting consecutive words from the predictions. Having said that, it's very easy to get used to, and at least it has predictions where the iphone doesn't!

Of course having no SD slot or exchangeable battery means nothing if you've come from an iphone like myself because you'd be used to it. Going from a 64gb iphone to a 32gb One was a squeeze but it just meant that for now I have to reduce my photo's from the last 30 years to the last 3 :) All of my music fit, which was only about 11gb.

One more thing which astounded me coming from an iphone, was that the One can't make video calls by default; it needs something like Skype. This was a big thing for me when I realised it and was one of the reasons I rushed out to get the S4 and give it a try. After playing around with it and realising that most of my friends have iphones for now and I can't video call them anyway, I got over it.

I also find the automatic screen brightness to work much better on the One than on the S4. The screen on the One is gorgeous, but I found the screen on the S4 to be nothing stellar. Bear in mind I came from an iPhone 5. I'm not sure why given their all great ppi's but I find the One screen nicer to look at than the S4.

I hope I have helped in some small way!

Same thing here my ONE is my daily eBay has the GS4

eldy3

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for all your comments. I think I am going to change to the HTC one. I had a play with it in the store today and was very impressed. I personally love the front of the new galaxy but not the new back cover, especially on the black version. I have also noticed the slight lag on certain applications since I have had it. Plus I can get the htc one for ?5 less a month on my contract

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21