At work - on charger or off charger?

pete6032

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Just got my HTC One. Looks like I will have no problem making it through a full day on one battery charge. I always charge my phones over night. My question with the One is whether I should be having the One plugged into a charger during the day? I'm near an outlet almost all the time. What is the best for Li-Poly batteries? Should I try to only charge when it gets below a certain percentage? Or is it OK to drain it down to say 75% and then charge it back up again?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just got my HTC One. Looks like I will have no problem making it through a full day on one battery charge. I always charge my phones over night. My question with the One is whether I should be having the One plugged into a charger during the day? I'm near an outlet almost all the time. What is the best for Li-Poly batteries? Should I try to only charge when it gets below a certain percentage? Or is it OK to drain it down to say 75% and then charge it back up again?

My understanding is that it is best to keep them as topped off as is reasonably possible. Dropping below a certain threshold (varies by device, battery, etc.) creates a slower and more reluctant charging experience. My phone will go 1.5-2.5 days without charging if I want to drain it, but I usually keep it charging at work and then off the charger the rest of the time... it's pretty rare for me to let it get below 40% anymore.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I charge my phone every night. Then I take it off the charger at 5:30a and don't put it back on until night at 7a or so. The battery lasts a long time for how I use my phone, which is really great.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, keep it on the charger whenever you can. That really is the best thing for any of the lithium batteries in small electronics nowadays. But you should allow the device to fully drain once a month or so in order to keep digital memory for becoming an issue.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, keep it on the charger whenever you can. That really is the best thing for any of the lithium batteries in small electronics nowadays. But you should allow the device to fully drain once a month or so in order to keep digital memory for becoming an issue.

I read you are never supposed to drain the battery completely out.. Not sure which it is now

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am curious as well on this... I think with the new batteries now a days it's good to let them drop some (40+ish) but not fully drain. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

derande

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
at my work desk and home i always keep my phone on the charger. it does save battery life as it uses AC power, not the battery, when plugged in.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I read you are never supposed to drain the battery completely out.. Not sure which it is now

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
It's done in order to keep the battery and the system running properly together. It gets real technical but I doubt anyone really cares to go full-nerd with me. Suffice to say that with these batteries it's always about how they operate with the system as a whole. My understanding is that you should allow a "full" drain every 30 charging cycles or every month, give or take. You'll never really fully drain it. The device won't allow it, in order to protect the battery, but try to get it into a single digit percentage.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in airplane mode at work. with my phone in my glove box. I work at a prison camp in the middle of the forest. I have no cell service (not a single carrier gets service here) and I could get fired for bringing it in to work, so I wouldn't use it even if I had service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance