Switched from iOS to Android, iMessage screwing things up.

opusone

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the iPhone 5 to the HTC One and it is the best decision I've made. However, while getting texts I receive them 20 minutes late sometimes and people tell me their iPhone still tries to send them as iMessages which I suspect is the cause of me getting them late. I've already disabled iMessage on my MacBook Pro and I wiped my old iPhone before I sold it.

I suspect that people contacting me would just have to close the message thread on their iPhone and it would reset everything and work properly but I wanted to see if there was something I wasn't doing because asking everyone to do that is pretty unreasonable.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The issue is you should have turned off iMessage on your iPhone prior to wiping it.

Go here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4005864?start=0&tstart=0

Basically you're going to unregister your iPhone from Apple -- that should, in theory, turn off iMessage for you. After that, SMS messages should come through just fine.

iMessage is the ONLY thing I'm missing since switching... I'm augmenting it with Google Voice and Facebook Messenger.

opusone

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Just did it, will make sure to report back to see if it solved the issue

MiStro17

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, if your friends with iPhones still have your phone in their contacts as an iPhone, it still might default them to iMessage vs. SMS... I found that happened to me when i made the switch a year ago

DFM725

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I kept my iPhone 5 bc it was a 32gb and I traded in my iPhone 4 which I was using as an ipod in the car and for the gym. I had a crazy issue as well. My HTC One was activated but I was getting all my texts on my iPhone 5 and I realized I had to shut off iMessage and SMS on the 5. I figure I can always turn it back on if I'm playing an ios game and my phone is charging.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Looking to come back to Android with a purchase in a little less than a month. Looking very seriously at the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4. I am still going to have my iPad, but I don't carry that with me all the time, so I should probably unregister both from iMessage when I do this? What is the best way to avoid missing texts from the iSheep when I come back to Android?

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No need to be condescending...when I switched I simply turned off imessage and it all worked perfectly.

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Looking to come back to Android with a purchase in a little less than a month. Looking very seriously at the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4. I am still going to have my iPad, but I don't carry that with me all the time, so I should probably unregister both from iMessage when I do this? What is the best way to avoid missing texts from the iSheep when I come back to Android?

I had a similar issue; changed from ip5 to HTC and have a mac air and iPad mini. I deregistered using the link above, made sure to turn off imessage on my old phone, told everyone to make sure they don't have me in contacts under iPhone. I have not missed a message since all that 2 done.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I turned iMessage off on my iPhone before dumping it for the One. I've left it on on my iPad. Haven't had any issues yet.

AngryBritain

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys

I've just made the jump from iPhone5 to the S4 and I too have this issue.

GF has an iP5, but when I send her a 'text' from the S4, her replies only come through to my old iP5, iPad and Mac as an iMessage.

If I turn off iMessage on the iPhone, will that cure it, or will I also need to turn off iMessage on the iPad/Mac - that's not ideal as obviously it's handy to be able to use iMessage to reply to iOS friends when at my desk or using iPad.

I would have thought if the 'text' originated from the S4 iMessage would recieve it as a text, and reply as such?

Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to move back to my old iPhone5

AngryBritain

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I seem to have solved the issue.

You need to uncheck 'You can be reached for iMessage at' (Your phone number) option on ALL your iOS devices. You can leave any email addresses that appear.

Messages then originating from your Android device will be sent as texts and replied to as such, then if like me you want to iMessage your iOS pals when at home you still can :)

Hope this helps

AB

Templar

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have also found that if you turn both imessage and facetime off it will release the number almost immediately. It seems to work even if you have imessage still active on other devices. I have two iphones and several macs and an ipad. I switch from one of the i5's and a samsung galaxy s3 from time to time. Before I figured this out it was hit or miss when it would finally work from other iphones. I'd miss txts from my GF. Now I turn both off and swap sims and the very next time she tries to txt me it fails and then sends a txt (she has sms send on). Hope this helps... took me a while to figure this out. Much easier than all the other stuff I have read. Works for me 100% of the time.

Of course if you no longer have the phone then you will need to somehow get your sim into an iphone. I think that is the key. Apples servers need to be told that you want imessage (and FaceTime) off. Otherwise it is trying to hang on for a while to keep messages if you lose signal. That all changed fairly recently because my GF used to go to a remote location and not have signal. When I would send an imessage it would try for a bit then send a txt. Now it stays blue and just doesn't show delivered until she gets back into signal.

lelerussell0115

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem I had an iPhone 4s and switched to a droid and I know how to go on the website and unregister the phone but what if you don't know the information of your account and the resting process isn't working?

v_hays

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched to HTC One from IPhone 5 (3 days ago). Love the HTC! Hate the problems with IMessage. Google search brought me to this forum and the answer. Had I not checked on this forum I would not have known what to do to clear up the problem. Thanks to the info here, I was able to clean up the problem. Wish ATT and HTC had better info regarding this issue. Thanks for posts/info.

coryd9

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Been reading all day on this topic and haven't had any luck so far. I had an iPhone 5 with ios7. Just bought an HTC One on Friday. Haven't been able to receive any texts from friends that have an iphone 4 or later that have ios7. I've unregistered my iphone from Apple using the supportappleid website. I've unclicked my number from both imessages and facetime on my macbook pro.....and still not getting msgs. Is there something I'm missing? I had no idea this would happen otherwise i would have turned off imessage before wiping my iphone when i traded it in at att.

Kenster74

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Been having the exact same issue as you. Friends with an iphone 4s, ios 7 are not able to send texts to my HTC one. They can recieve my texts, but I can't recieve theirs. I have disassociated the phone on the apple website, removed the number from iMessage and facetime, but still not receiving texts. My number is still showing up as "blue" in their phone, which means they are still connected with me to iMessage somehow. This is maddening.

robbdmc

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Any solutions yet? I'm just about to get a new number to solve the problem. This is so infuriating.

Like the previous 2 posts, I unregistered and and disabled iMessage, but other people with iphones still detect my number as iMessage. When they try to send a text it says not delivered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae