Please help! - Personal Dictionary shortcuts

furious00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I am a new Android user after having been on iOS since the original iPhone. I've got my new HTC One pretty much set-up the way I want but I'm just having one issue that I can't resolve.

I've gone into Settings > Language & keyboard > HTC Sense Input > Personal Dictionary
I've created a bunch of keyboard shortcuts but they never work in any applications (example: omw = On my way!)

I've typed my shortcuts in every app there is but none of them work. I've rebooted the phone but still no dice. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all help!

furious00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply mballs4life but it's still not solved.

I am REALLY stumped on this!!! It shouldn't be that difficult! I've deleted them, re-created them, rebooted...I just can't understand why my keyboard shortcuts won't work.

lt thistle

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
And you are using the stock htc keyboard? I'm using swype and after entering a new word I had to select it about 3 times before it became the default.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

mballs4life

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
That's really strange, it works fine for me. Have you restarted the phone?

EDIT: Just seen that you rebooted. I really have no idea. I wouldn't want to but maybe a factory reset. Or maybe it's a lemon

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367601999195.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367601999195.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 15

furious00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Again...complete newb when it comes to Android. So when you say "stock htc keyboard" how do I know if this is what I'm using? I haven't installed any "new" keyboards so I'm assuming that when I type...I'm typing on the HTC keyboard.

I've heard of swype and swiftkey. Should I install one of those keyboards?

Thanks for your help!

furious00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey mballs4life, your screenshot got me thinking. My problem is that I keep thinking in iOS terms...I think I'm expecting the shortcuts to act like they do in iOS (i.e., when I type "omw" and hit the space bar, iOS automatically puts "On my way!" in the text box. But your graphic shows the words above the keyboard. So I launched Facebook messenger and sure enough they work just like they do in your screenshot!

But here's the thing...my biggest reason for wanting to use these shortcuts is so that I don't have to retype my entire email address when I log onto certain websites. And when I go to outlook.com from the Chrome browser, typing my keyboard shortcut in the login field doesn't show me my full email address. So...do these keyboard shortcuts not work everywhere? Why are they working in Facebook messenger but not in Chrome?

I'm not going to start bashing Android because there is A LOT that I'm liking. But this is really frustrating. These shortcuts worked flawlessly and ALWAYS in every app in iOS. I gotta get this fixed ASAP. Typing out my full email address all the time is painful.

Thanks again for your help guys!!!

mballs4life

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
They do act the same as IOS. When I press the spacebar it changes it from what I typed to the word/phrase. I just tried it with my email and it worked also. I believe it is Chrome. It only allows shortcuts when it gives word suggestions above the keyboard. And in Chrome it doesn't. Maybe try a different keyboard out (one of the best things about Android). Give Smart Keyboard a shot. I use to use it before Swiftkey came out, solid app and it does shortcuts. And you're welcome!

highertechnology

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey does not do this. It is currently under review. I spent about 20 minutes building dictionary items to find that they dont work in swiftkey. Im now testing Kii keyboard, which is really awesome btw. And it pulls in shortcuts from the htc keyboard and lets you add more in its database.

I am just using the trial for now, but so far its great.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't appear as it would on iphone. You'll have to have word suggestion on, and when you do, as you type the key word, ie, omw= On my way!, look just below at your suggested words and if your answer isn't too long, it will appear on the bar at the bottom of the text window, if its too long, then you'll have to hit your arrow to the right of the word suggestion bar, and your text will be there. Hope this helps.

Ricky Bachman

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree! I am new to AD, an iOS7 transplant due to losing my iPhone and wanting to try something new! The shortcuts worked flawlessly in iOS and it's so frustrating here! Lots to love in AD but this whack! Gonna read on!

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
BTW..if you want to use the excellent SWIFTKEY and still have something that will put in phrases or address..I have used copipe for years. It just allows you to set up phrases or text to be put into clipboard for pasting into any app. I use it for long directions to my office. Free. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.matabii.copipe&hl=en&token=yfcJgoBt

I would still love a macro application for android that could invoke a whole series of steps with a few keystrokes. MacroExpress on Win desktop is fabulous for this.
(I use AutomateIt Pro that does perform macro-like functions with NFC tags, locations, and more).

Last edited:

aislebback

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, it is not your imagination and it is ++ annoying. I have managed to get some shortcuts added but I can't work out how or reliably reproduce it. I seem to have to turn off and then on the word prediction and also edit the entries once they've been added to the dictionary. Have to do it for each and every shortcut. Have had to close settings and apps completely. Unfortunately I am unable to work out which is the necessary step or the order in which to do them. All 3 seem to be necessary, grrr and good luck!

Robert Martindale1

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I realise this is an old thread and sorry for bumping it but I'm having the same problem,shortcuts worked fine on my HTC one M7, IE sm for a smiley face, even with the latest update, but fail to work on my M9 with the same update,although I think the sense version is newer, is this an ommision on HTC's part?

time_tourist

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. October 16, just got my first ever Android and this personal dictionary shortcuts thing still doesn't work. Did anyone find out how to make it work!?

Dedmonston

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site
Same problem here. The keyboard has the suggestions bar at the top when in messaging apps/email which allows you to use hotkey shortcuts for your long email address; however, in app login screens/browsers etc it eliminates that bar...
Haven't found a setting that allows you to always have that feature. I just have my email in a note app to copy and paste it over, but it's really annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad