Google wallet

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you managed to get this working? Where did you get the apk? Also, that looks like a .zip file, do we need to extract it or rename it?

aviatordoc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Its from XDA. I was able to sign into my existing wallet account and got a reply email from Google as well. And there have been no new transactions either.
How would you root? Trust someone who wrote a ROM to replace the entire OS on your phone? I guess stuff like this is not for everybody. That's why they make Apple. :)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its from XDA. I was able to sign into my existing wallet account and got a reply email from Google as well. And there have been no new transactions either.
How would you root? Trust someone who wrote a ROM to replace the entire OS on your phone? I guess stuff like this is not for everybody. That's why they make Apple. :)

I agree that it looks fishy as is. If you linked to the XDA thread it would comfort a lot of people here I think.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing fishy about the apk he posted. If u aren't on sprint and wanna use Google wallet u have to get it off the web. Its called side loading and is safe. My aunt uses it on her att s3.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing fishy about the apk he posted. If u aren't on sprint and wanna use Google wallet u have to get it off the web. Its called side loading and is safe. My aunt uses it on her att s3.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

I understand how side loading works, and have side loaded apps on my One right now. Saying side loading is safe as a blanket statement is completely inaccurate, because someone could modify the code to send your information to them (especially risky in an app like this where you will be loading it with credit card info) and you would be none the wiser. Side loading is safe as long as you know the .apk you are side loading comes from a trusted developer, hence my inquiries into this .apk and request for a link to the XDA thread he got it from. On top of that, developers usually like to get credit for their work, so it is more polite to post a link to their thread then to take their .apk and repost it without any acknowledgement of where you got it. Thirdly, most of the time I download an apk file, its file extension is .apk, not .zip, though I have on rare occasions downloaded them as .zip and changed their file extension to .apk manually, but again, instructions regarding that would be great, and the XDA thread again would be helpful.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do I need to be rooted?

To install the .apk no you don't, just make sure the option "allow outside sources" is checked in your developer section of your settings. Now, I haven't tried this particular apk yet, but I know some/most require you to disable region checks for Wallet, and that does require root.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Has anyone else been able to use it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

alvin319

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I loaded this last week on my Sprint One and is working just fine. AT&T and Tmobile seem to be blocking Wallet.

Posted via Android Central App

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Is Google wallet alone worth rooting the One?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

I would say no..I used it a few times on my GNex and while it was neat to shock people who didnt know you can use your phone to pay just by swiping...it lost its luster rather quick...I could probably see myself using it more if it was accepted in more places I go to

aviatordoc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Agree, its more of a cool thing than mainstream tool at this time. When supermarkets and big grocery strores have those at the register, it will make more sense, especially if you can store the store card for discounts along with it. It is going in the right direction, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech