Can I buy HTC One and use it on verizon?

bonit

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I just entered the fritz of the smart phone world (never owned one before) and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I was deciding between the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One, and I think I like the HTC One a bit better. Unfortunately my current carrier is Verizon, and apparently they're not offering the HTC One.

I just have a few questions:

- Is it possible to buy an HTC One from Sprint and use it on Verizon's network with my current Verizon's data plan?

- If the first is not possible (or prohibitively expensive), is it possible to change to a different phone mid-way in the contract? For example:

Let's say I buy the S4 with Verizon's 4 GB plan right now, but then in August the HTC One comes out on Verizon. Would it then be possible to return the S4 in favor of the HTC One, but still be on the plan?

If the above options are not possible, then I might consider switching carriers. If this is the case, would sprint or AT&T be a better choice? Is there a website I can go to compare their plans?

Thanks all!

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically its possible to use htc one on verizon. I don't believe anyone has done it yet though.

You can always sell your s4 and then buy the htc one full retail. I hate verizon personally, I recommend leaving.

ATT has better "4g". Sprint has good pricing, unlimited data, and a really solid Insurance program. I prefer sprint personally.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will not activate a sprint HTC one on their network.

You are not able to trade your phone in for another device after 14 days, and after 14 days, your contract is locked onto the s4.

However, you could sell your s4 when or if the one is released on Verizon and help offset the price of the HTC ones full retail, or, if I am correct, Verizon will soon be offering a payment plan to offset their changing upgrade dates that does not require a new contract and will not effect your current contract. You pay the phone off over 12 months with a $2.50 a month finance fee. You would then just need to have your number switched to the financed device.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Verizon won't activate a device they haven't approved. They haven't approved the HTC One. At this time you can not get a One on Verizon.

Can we get this stickied so another 4000 people don't have to ask the same thing?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It may work, but you would need a verizon sim. Since they are embedded I don't see how you will obtain one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It may work, but you would need a verizon sim. Since they are embedded I don't see how you will obtain one.

The newer phones that are globally unlocked like the note 2 and droid DNA have SIM cards.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

It won't work. It won't work no matter what you do. Verizon devices all have SIM cards if they are LTE enabled phones or tablets. The SIM is the identifier to the LTE network. In order to use the phone as, ya know, a phone, you have to use the CDMA part of their network. As has been discussed, CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint have databases of ESNs that are allowed on the network. If the phone isn't in the database, you get no CDMA, and can therefore not use the phone to talk to people over the CDMA network.
Verizon will only approve devices that they sell, or have sold in the past, with Verizon branding for use on their network. Since the HTC One is not sold and branded by Verizon you will not be able to get them to add it to the database. No way, no how.
Even if using the LTE SIM card you currently have in the HTC One were to work, you would have a phone that cannot make phone calls, and would only use data where you are on LTE. I don't even believe this will work. I'm not 100% sure, but everything in my bones tells me it will not be possible. There was a thread about someone trying to make this happen on this forum someplace. I haven't seen it active recently, so I doubt it happened.

Sorry to be the naysayer and jerk of the AC Forums, but I don't want anyone to ever get their hopes up about this sort of thing. It would be more possible to breathe underwater than to get Verizon to add a device they do not sell at retail. Or do anything helpful for you in general, unless your wallet is too heavy. They'll gladly take what you have in there.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
- Is it possible to buy an HTC One from Sprint and use it on Verizon's network with my current Verizon's data plan?
No. In order for a phone to work on the Verizon network, it must have the Verizon CDMA binaries on it. The Sprint HTC One has the Sprint CDMA binaries on it, not the Verizon CDMA binaries, and therefore will not work on Verizon's network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon