My review of the htc one camera

Scottyl41

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
After taking over 600 pictures I can say that the camera is not good. Yes, you read that right. I love the HTC one..Best phone ever. But...The camera doesn't take good normal pics consistently. What I mean by that is that you can have a person at a party and u take 5 pics of the same scene. 2 Will look great and 3 will be blurry or off. These picture comparisons your seeing online is just stuff most dont take pictures of. I take pics of people indoors mostly, my pets etc. At our party saturday night just to make sure I wasnt wrong I asked 3 people what pictures do they take and it was all the same as I said. Just people photos and pets. Of the 600+ pics Ive taken there are a few that look great! But most don't. BTW i'm saying that they don't look great because I put them on my computer at home and there "faults" stick out big time. I was shocked because so many of the pictures looked great on my phone. Again this is just my opinion. For the record I don;t have the camera update.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
After taking over 600 pictures I can say that the camera is not good. Yes, you read that right. I love the HTC one..Best phone ever. But...The camera doesn't take good normal pics consistently. What I mean by that is that you can have a person at a party and u take 5 pics of the same scene. 2 Will look great and 3 will be blurry or off. These picture comparisons your seeing online is just stuff most dont take pictures of. I take pics of people indoors mostly, my pets etc. At our party saturday night just to make sure I wasnt wrong I asked 3 people what pictures do they take and it was all the same as I said. Just people photos and pets. Of the 600+ pics Ive taken there are a few that look great! But most don't. BTW i'm saying that they don't look great because I put them on my computer at home and there "faults" stick out big time. I was shocked because so many of the pictures looked great on my phone. Again this is just my opinion. For the record I don;t have the camera update.

And I disagree with you..I like the pictures I've gotten on my one..each pic depends on the photographer to take the picture which could be angle, lighting, focus etc. The options for me with the wide angle lens and settings actually look better than many other camera phones.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been impressed either. I have had a similar experience where some pics are fantastic, but in general this isn't the case. I'm going to try adjusting some settings and learning a little more about the options on the camera.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, what this "review" tells me is very little.

"a person at a party and u take 5 pics of the same scene. 2 Will look great and 3 will be blurry or off."

Ok, that may be acceptable if the light is not bright and the person (or photographer) is moving. Are you telling me that you were able to get better than 40% "great" shots with another phone camera in the same circumstance? To say the camera is not good without comparing it to something else is not helpful. Not good compared to a DSLR, of course. Compared to basic point and shoot cameras? Depends. Not good compared to other cell cameras? I think you are wrong. But if you have some examples of another phone in the same circumstance that are better, I would be willing to re-evaluate. Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of the camera, if you expect it to be hugely better than other cell phones.

There are weaknesses to the camera - the biggest in my view is that dynamic range is not as good as would be expected - bright areas are at times "blown out" to pure white with no detail. It also could use better exposure metering and better software for adjusting image settings.

Scottyl41

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, what this "review" tells me is very little.

"a person at a party and u take 5 pics of the same scene. 2 Will look great and 3 will be blurry or off."

Ok, that may be acceptable if the light is not bright and the person (or photographer) is moving. Are you telling me that you were able to get better than 40% "great" shots with another phone camera in the same circumstance? To say the camera is not good without comparing it to something else is not helpful. Not good compared to a DSLR, of course. Compared to basic point and shoot cameras? Depends. Not good compared to other cell cameras? I think you are wrong. But if you have some examples of another phone in the same circumstance that are better, I would be willing to re-evaluate. Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of the camera, if you expect it to be hugely better than other cell phones.

There are weaknesses to the camera - the biggest in my view is that dynamic range is not as good as would be expected - bright areas are at times "blown out" to pure white with no detail. It also could use better exposure metering and better software for adjusting image settings.

Yes you are right about the blown out! Thats a good point. I just wish the camera took good pictures consistently. I'm not photographer I'm just a guy pointing and shooting like I believe most of us are.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well here are just random pics with my one.. One is using the front facing camera and others rear.. I'm totally fine with it.. Seems crystal clear..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368037538745.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368037538745.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368037553511.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368037553511.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368037564469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368037564469.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 121

Scottyl41

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well here are just random pics with my one.. One is using the front facing camera and others rear.. I'm totally fine with it.. Seems crystal clear..

The outside picture isn't as clear as it should be for a 600.00 dollar phone..but +1 for the hulk hogan !!!

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the one post, it matters the person taking it, settings, etc. So far I am more than happy with it. I think camera phones have sorta reached their peak for the time being. Its not going to replace a digital camera, but for those quick pics, I have no problems with it. I took a video also of a band performing an acoustic song and the video was excellent and with zero distortion, actually sounded damn good! For the most part these cameras are all gimmicks imo,

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The outside picture isn't as clear as it should be for a 600.00 dollar phone..but +1 for the hulk hogan !!!

Thanks. He's a childhood idol. The thing to remember also on distant shots is that wherever you tap your screen it will use as a focal point. It took me a bit too figure that out.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had such an opposite experience. The HTC One has the best camera experience I've ever had on a cellular phone. I do get a blurry shot now and then, but we need to remember, this is a phone. We're getting closer, but we're still not to the point where we can compare quick-shooter 14 MP cameras with a cell phone camera.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
but some pictures show as 600USD cameras, and you can search has tons of good picture taken by One

My point is if you want good pics then bring an inexpensive pocket point n shoot with optical zoom instead of using your phone with digital zoom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The One takes some really great photos and also takes some crappy ones at the same time, but the 1.29 update coming to the US carriers is supposed to really improve the camera along with several other features. I've seen differences between the 1.26 & 1.29 update in photos and the 1.29's are much more detailed and look awesome!

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The One takes some really great photos and also takes some crappy ones at the same time, but the 1.29 update coming to the US carriers is supposed to really improve the camera along with several other features. I've seen differences between the 1.26 & 1.29 update in photos and the 1.29's are much more detailed and look awesome!

I believe I read that that update is already on phones released in North America