Email Preview in Status Dropdown

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Is this right? I haven't noticed this before today. There are like 7 lines of preview for my email when you pull the status down. Same for stock app and Gmail so doesn't feel like an in app setting. If more than one email comes in, it will say 5 messages at the bottom and preview the first one. If another app comes in after that, it doesn't show a preview.

Is there a way to shut this off? I don't want the preview in the status pull down... just that I have an unread email.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-09-49-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-09-49-47.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 54

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Expandable notifications are a feature of jelly bean. You can collapse/expand the notification with a two finger swipe up or down.

Posted via Android Central App

lenson86

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
your reply is useless bro, no offence but not kidding.

This is about HTC sense not stock jelly bean. The notification pulls down with ONE finger and with the current 4.2.2 update (just got it recently in aus), TWO fingers pull down motion will directly bring you to the settings widgets (not sure what to call it but its a page with all the shotcuts to enable wifi, bluetooth, hotspot, brightness.....)

So, back to the unanswered question please,

How to TURN OFF email preview under expanded notification? I checked everywhere I can think of (battery, mail setting). Notification settings inside the mail settings only let me choose between having email notification or not. SO, either "preview+you have xxx mail" or nothing at all.

Been googling for days and cannot find answer to it. So many sites showing off the new 4.2.2 features and go into details but NONE talked about this new email preview feature that cannot be turned off. The whole update is great but I really believe that it is 100% logical to be able to enable/disable email preview. Not sure why didn't anyone in the HTC sense team feel the same way.

/end rant

4 ppl who felt tl;dr, I basically re-asked the question by OP. Thanks

Club Paradise

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The reply is NOT useless, use two fingers to swipe up from bottom of email preview and it does remove the message preview and reduce it to one line. Did you even try this properly before calling his reply useless:-\

Last edited:

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
your reply is useless bro, no offence but not kidding.

This is about HTC sense not stock jelly bean. The notification pulls down with ONE finger and with the current 4.2.2 update (just got it recently in aus), TWO fingers pull down motion will directly bring you to the settings widgets (not sure what to call it but its a page with all the shotcuts to enable wifi, bluetooth, hotspot, brightness.....)

So, back to the unanswered question please,

How to TURN OFF email preview under expanded notification? I checked everywhere I can think of (battery, mail setting). Notification settings inside the mail settings only let me choose between having email notification or not. SO, either "preview+you have xxx mail" or nothing at all.

Been googling for days and cannot find answer to it. So many sites showing off the new 4.2.2 features and go into details but NONE talked about this new email preview feature that cannot be turned off. The whole update is great but I really believe that it is 100% logical to be able to enable/disable email preview. Not sure why didn't anyone in the HTC sense team feel the same way.

/end rant

4 ppl who felt tl;dr, I basically re-asked the question by OP. Thanks

Wow. You do realize that the person you ranted against was correct, right? Hahaha, some people are amazing.

Two fingers on the notification can expand or collapse it. Google 4.1 changes.

What's funnier is him doing this on a 3 month old thread...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The reply is NOT useless, use two fingers to swipe up from bottom of email preview and it does remove the message preview and reduce it to one line. Did you even try this properly before calling his reply useless:-\

If you are in stock Sense, then you have to pinch out/inward to expand and collapse notification preview. Unless this was changed in 4.2.2.

timmyjoe42

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been having this issue now after having to do a factory reset on my phone. Now every email shows the full preview in the notification pull down. I can use 2 fingers to swipe it up, but what's the point of that, because by then I've read it. I just want it to be minimized in the pull down automatically, every time.

Is there some setting that I'm missing? I'm using a Nexus 4, rooted, with Cyanogenmod nightly.

Thanks.

Glen Cook

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Tim: One thing that might be subtle the "expanded" behaviour can be determined by the priority of the notification. So if the notification coming in has the highest priority then it will show the expanded view. This means that the notification on top shows the expanded view upon delivery. Also, I believe a lot of devices continue to show the expanded view if you previously expanded a notification without closing it.

Notification priority

If you wish, you can set the priority of a notification. The priority acts as a hint to the device UI about how the notification should be displayed. To set a notification's priority, call NotificationCompat.Builder.setPriority() and pass in one of the NotificationCompat priority constants. There are five priority levels, ranging from PRIORITY_MIN (-2) to PRIORITY_MAX (2); if not set, the priority defaults to PRIORITY_DEFAULT (0).

I'm looking at the S4 right now but I can't see anyway to influence this behaviour using a stock setup.

Going back the OPs problem I'd like to offer an alternative, I do an app for email and SMS notifications that enables you to configure this behaviour however you wish:

For example, you could do the following:
1. Always show a single notification with the sender and subject
2. Display N=3 single notifications with sender and subject
Sample 1
3. Optionally use the expanded view to display the email body
Sample 2
4. Capable of using the expanding area to show summaries also like the behaviour you're trying to turn off

Too many combinations to list, but you can setup the status bar to behave however you wish for email and SMS.

With regards, to avoiding the expanded view on arrival. The app lets you set the priority of the system status bar notification as well.

The app is called eNotify on GooglePlay if anyone wants to try it out. There is a free lite version with no real restrictions as well.

Cheers,
Glen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae