Data is being used up extremely fast

DanX47

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I came to the HTC One from the Vibrant which had 3G, one positive thing I can say is that at least the Vibrant gave me constant data without hiccups or being throttled. Ever since I switched to the One, I've used up 2GB of data already in a few days and had to upgrade because my speed was throttled to 0.3mbps which is ridiculous. I'm loving the 4G speed but if I get throttled that quickly I rather just have a constant 3G signal with no issues. For example, now Pandora and TuneIn Radio doesn't start music for a couple minutes, then stops on and off every few seconds, web pages take FOREVER to load up, it's ridiculous.

I've looked to see what is killing my data and I found out that when I put my One into the car dock, TuneIn Radio has used 1.34MB Foreground and 272MB Background. Why is Background so much? I just turned off restrict background data and am hoping that will help.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Wouldnt turning OFF restrict background data make things worse just by definition? I remember that happening to me one one of my old phones..the dock automatically opened up TuneIn ... as to why its using so much data..that I dont know.. I have the Pro version installed on my phone but have yet to open it

and .3mbs? Geezzz thats high speed 3g speed on Sprint!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well you have to take into consideration your Vibrant and the One are two completely different beasts running two worlds apart in OS also so you have more going on in the OS background and other areas than what Froyo or Gingerbread offered (I'm not positive on the exact official version).

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea watch out for the apps running in the background. Also if you renewed your contract or signed a new one, call customer support and have then check your APN settings and data setting because if they are wrong then you will fly through data because it reads it incorrectly. I went round and round with att about it after i renewed my contract and normally i would use 500mb a month, after i would you that in an evening just browsing the web. They got it fixed after pulling there teeth and its back to normal. Also dont let them tell you since you have an lte phone that youll use more data. Not true. You will use can go through more data in less time. Not more doing the same thing compared to a 3g or 4g phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I came to the HTC One from the Vibrant which had 3G, one positive thing I can say is that at least the Vibrant gave me constant data without hiccups or being throttled. Ever since I switched to the One, I've used up 2GB of data already in a few days and had to upgrade because my speed was throttled to 0.3mbps which is ridiculous. I'm loving the 4G speed but if I get throttled that quickly I rather just have a constant 3G signal with no issues. For example, now Pandora and TuneIn Radio doesn't start music for a couple minutes, then stops on and off every few seconds, web pages take FOREVER to load up, it's ridiculous.

I've looked to see what is killing my data and I found out that when I put my One into the car dock, TuneIn Radio has used 1.34MB Foreground and 272MB Background. Why is Background so much? I just turned off restrict background data and am hoping that will help.

I haven't used TuneIn, so I am taking a guess that, similar to Pandora, the background data is searching for suggested music. For every like/dislike you give a song, it modifies the upcoming song that are upcoming.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
TuneIn is actually different.. It pulls in radio stations off the internet from all over the world. You really cant search for a song like you can on Pandora then it will automatically create a playlist for you.. Its just a feed for internet radio stations that broadcast their own playlists. Plus they have specialized channels..I am a HUGE Beatle fan..and I can search for stations dedicated to strictly Beatle or Beatle related.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently went from Sprint (unlimited data plan) to AT&T (3GB/month cap data plan) and I now watch my data usage very carefully. Instead of streaming my online music from Google Music, I've downloaded my mp3 files to my HTC One. I also download my podcasts in the morning instead of streaming. I do use Jango for music streaming, but only for about 30 minutes during my drive home. At lunch, I'll read online news and forum postings for about 20 minutes each day. I also set the Google Play Store app on my phone to not download updates unless I'm on WiFi. Email is being checked on two accounts every 15-30 mins. With these settings, It looks like I'll use about 2.5 GB of data per month.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
The email being refreshed and streaming music will use a good amount of date. Email checking could 1-2 every time it refreshes. So add that up every day for a month. Is your blink feed refreshing alot?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you been using wifi to download apps? I know I forgot to set up wifi when I got home with my One and setting it up (three times, don't ask), I went through 5.6 gigs of data in like 4 days.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also since you have 4g instead of 3g you could just be using the phone more and more since it's faster (and a new toy) which causes you to use data faster.

I know on the S3/S4 you can make it 3g only.. I am not 100% if you can on the HTC One but I would be surprised if you couldn't.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
The email being refreshed and streaming music will use a good amount of date. Email checking could 1-2 every time it refreshes. So add that up every day for a month. Is your blink feed refreshing alot?

I don't agree about the email eating a lot of data. My wife is constantly on her iphone 5 looking at facebook, emails, and browsing. She uses her phone for work and uses the email all day long and it is constantly refreshing. She uses 500mb a month max and after a week on my One I had used 3gbs. Now I have my phone on airplane mode for most of the day and only use my phone on wifi. It's really pathetic that I have to monitor it like this.

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
*tip*

Just in case someone reading this doesn't know...

Go to settings- under "wireless and networks" hit "more"- Usage

From there you can monitor and limit your data.

Hope that helps someone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm noticing increased data usage over the iPhone 4s I came from as well. Since I got the phone on 22-April I've used 2gb of mobile data and about 30gb of wifi data. with 13 days to go in this cycle I could easily break 4gb of mobile data which I did maybe once or twice since I got my Treo 650 back in the day. Obviously they're very different devices, but I didn't imagine I'd see that much of a change from my iPhone.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Turn off background data. The phone wont use data unless you access it of course. How many websites and emails do you look at a day? How much you tube and music do you stream. If you dont do much and had no problem before you got a different phone, one of a few things is happening. Do you have any apps set to auto upload?

1- your carrier has something messed up with you data plan on their end such as data provisioning. This will cause data usage errors on the carriers. It will read incorrectly on the amount of data you had used. It will conflict with different types of signals in the network. Also have them check your APN settings too and compare then with what they have.

2- you might have an app running in the background that you dont know about. Some have auto update in the background.

3- you could be using alot of data and think your not.

4- you might not be connected correctly to wifi. Id suggest downloading my data manager from the app store. It works great and it help me figure out my problem with data consumption.

Apps like flipboard and flud and any reddit app will fly through data if used a lot or the settings are set to update in the background. Im pretty sure you know this but im covering the bases.

I know alot of carriers give you a list of how much data you can use doing specific task like watching YouTube or browsing the web. I found those list to be wildly inaccurate.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing increased data usage over the iPhone 4s I came from as well. Since I got the phone on 22-April I've used 2gb of mobile data and about 30gb of wifi data. with 13 days to go in this cycle I could easily break 4gb of mobile data which I did maybe once or twice since I got my Treo 650 back in the day. Obviously they're very different devices, but I didn't imagine I'd see that much of a change from my iPhone.

That's because iPhone doesn't do data in the background mainly because they don't let apps run with full multitasking. Sure push email works but on android you can have blink feed updating, widgets, email, syncing etc etc. That causes more data to be downed.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can limit it by going to your dialer, inputting *#*#4636#*#* and going to phone info. Set preferred network type to some setting I forget the name sorry, just test out the options I guess.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

When you're listening to internet radio like TuneIn or Pandora that is going to be a constant use of bandwidth in order to stream the music. I would assume the background number is reflecting that. I use subscription services like Spotify and rdio, and they can absolutely chew up bandwidth, especially if you tell them to stream "high quality" music. (Spotify even has an "extreme quality" now). I can easily go through several hundred megabytes of data in a few hours. Check to see if there are any audio quality settings for those sorts of apps, and if you want to restrict bandwidth usage then make sure you're using a lower quality setting.

I'm very happy T-Mobile has good signal strength in my home & work areas because I'm using their $70 month unlimited/never throttled plan and am in hog heaven now, with Spotify set to extreme quality and streaming tons of music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463