My HTC One Honeymoon is over. How has your's been?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This is an overview of my experience thus far with the HTC One. I will start off by saying that all of my smartphones to date have been HTC devices (EVO3D, EVO4GLTE, and HTC One). Also, the HTC One is the first smartphone that I've paid full price for. So here is my story:

Design, Materials, and Assembly:
I picked up my One on release day and was immediately impressed with how easy HTC made it to transfer all of my content from my previous device. I had high expectations about the build quality for the One. HTC delivered and the hype surrounding that aspect was justified in my eyes. I did notice the very small gaps on the top area of the phone. I would NOT have noticed them, until I read about it on a few forums (and YouTube videos). The materials used were very good along with the finishing touches applied to them. I've stopped using a case and have only used the screen protector and a skin protector for the back. The polycarbonate around the edges is a nice touch. However, it will incur damage in the form of scratches that can't be removed. I have a few light scratches on the side trim. That's no fault of the material, but simply being exposed to objects in my pocket (keys, coins, etc.). I understood the risk when I decided to not use a protective case, and I don't regret it one iota. I actually like picking up my One for no reason, other than to hold it and stare at it. I'd say this device was more than worth paying full price for. HTC really put everything they had into designing the One and it shows.

Performance:
This is the most responsive device I've ever used. It's so fast, that I don't use Nova launcher to improve UI performance. Using my Nexus 7 after handling the One, makes it seem sluggish in comparison. Everything from the transitions, scrolling, boot times, application loading, picture loading, web browsing, device unlocking, and screen rotation have exceeded my expectations from a performance standpoint.

User Interface:
I love Sense 5 and I've found myself using BlinkFeed more than I initially thought I would. My "snacking" on information, should have caused me to gain about 12 lbs by now. I'm actually glad they changed how shortcuts are added to screens. I found it annoying by having to hold an app icon and then drag it to a location on the screen. I've seen the videos where, from the app drawer, you can drag an icon to the "shortcut"option, and add it to applicable screen. HTC has simplified this process for me. I press and hold on my homescreen until the widget drawer appears. I would select "Apps" from the drop-down to bring up the app selections. From there I can add up to 12 app shortcuts to my homescreen just by tapping each icon from this single interface. This is more convenient that having to press, hold, and release for each one. I also love the subtle animations they do for the weather icons. I thought they had abandoned that feature, until I noticed raindrops falling from the cloud icon when I unlocked my phone.

Sound:
BoomSound is as loud, rich, and clear as they claim. After watching videos on YouTube and playing games on the One, I can't go back to using a smartphone that doesn't have front facing stereo speakers. I know HTC isn't the first company to use front-facing speakers, but by using the Beats-amplified approach, they have set a new standard for smartphone sound. The ringtones and alerts are the loudest that I've ever heard. The call quality when using the speakerphone is amazing. Every reviewer was correct when stating that, you have to hear it for yourself to see why the reviews give such praise to BoomSound.

Display:
HTC has outdone themselves again with the One. Last year, I felt that the One X/EVO had the best looking display, especially when viewing outdoors. The SLCD3 used on the One, is the best I've seen with regards to indoor viewing, outdoor viewing, auto-brightness, clarity, and contrast collectively. Again, this makes other displays seem inferior when using them. I have not noticed any stuck pixels as of yet.

Camera:
I love it and use this feature more than anything. I love the highlights created by HTC Zoe. It has not gotten old, although I'd like to customize the soundtrack some. The camera quality is the best I've seen on an HTC device. For low-light still shots, the Ultrapixels make a huge difference. Some of the scenes I'd composed, left me wondering how it managed to pick up light that I could barely see with my own eyes. It works very well, so I'll gladly accept that. The macro shots that the One takes are the best I've seen out of all the smartphones I've used. The HDR is a mixed bag for me. I'm not too crazy about some of the HDR shots that require the use of the flash. If I'm taking pictures of a moving subject, the end result isn't good (when the flash is engaged). I notice a blurring/ghosting effect, that usually cause me to disable the flash completely. When the flash isn't used, the HDR photos look excellent and exceed my expectations. The front-facing camera IMO is the best out there. Aside from the extreme wide-angle profile, the quality (still-shots and video) is much better than I though it would be.

Video:
I've been very critical about the video recording performance of my past HTC devices. This time, I'm glad they allowed the ability to lock the focus when recording video. The auto-focus seemed to aggressive at times, but I'm glad there is an option to get around that. I still notice a drop in frame rate when compensating for low light conditions (not sure if this can be resolved without sacrificing image quality). However, it has managed to retain the brightness and color saturation when recording in low light. The OIS should become a mandate for video recording. I amazed at the difference this makes for video recording. When the lighting doesn't require increasing the exposure compensation, the video quality is impressive. The audio quality is very good for videos. The only think I noticed from time to time, is a clicking sound that I hear during playback. I don't know why it happens, but it's noticeable when I'm playing back the clips on my desktop.

Battery:
For me, it's excellent. I posted some screenshots of the battery life when using a 4G LTE network. I didn't think it would have performed as well as it did, but I'm convinced that HTC has optimized their software very well. If history repeats itself, they will release an update that improves the battery life even more. I do carry my external charger with me sometimes, but I've not had to use it yet (or come close to it).

Summary:
Based on my needs and usage patterns, the HTC One is the best purchase I'd made for myself. I'm aware I didn't cover the IR Blaster and TV app (I'll just say they perform flawlessly and are very convenient). As for updates, I'm more concerned about patches that resolve bugs or improve performance more so than having the latest Android OS version. HTC has been really good at making sure those type of updates are delivered in a timely manner. If they (along with the carriers) manage to release OS updates in a decent time frame, it would be nice but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I do not see an annulment in my immediate future and I hope that anyone that has made an investment in the HTC One, gets as much enjoyment out of it as I do. If not, at a minimum, I hope you will end up investing into something else that meets both your needs and expectations. If I've managed to entertain your boredom, then my work here is done :p

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear that you're still enjoying your One. I just received my Jet Black One yesterday, and after a two-year break from Android with iOS, it is nice to be back. I missed the power of customization. Today is my first "real" day with my One, and I'm hoping that my battery holds up as that is my biggest concern. My 4S didn't have a problem getting through the day from 7 am to around midnight. If my One can manage that, I'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to participating in this community as my last Android device was the original HTC Droid Incredible back when I was with Big Red.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your post. My wife is considering this phone. I think it is a perfect fit for her.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice review.

I don't agree with the Sense 5 part and app management, but I do everything else, including blinkfeed.

I too have noticed my tablet feels very sluggish after using the One.

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with the original poster for the most part. Love everything about the phone, my only small gripe is that its so nice and I don't wanna use a case, but I found one I love, because it is truly a hand crafted, one drop and its over lol. I finally ripped off my screen protector, something I never have done and just love it!! plus the two buttons respond so much better, I have yet to have to keep tapping the home icon......Blinkfeed is great!! love it more than flipboard! I just wish I could add more panels....so now I am using Nova.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Outside of the home/back buttons being non-responsive at times (I do have a zagg screen protector on it. Paid $20 something for it, not willing to remove it yet. Lol) the phone has been great!

Camera features are awesome, but the overall camera itself isn't as great as I thought it was going to be. I do think the S4 camera is better, but not by much. JMO

The screen is beautiful and the front facing speakers are awesome! Great for watching YouTube videos or movies.

I too didn't use blinkfeed at first, but have found myself using it more and more lately.

Overall, the HTC One is the best phone out hands down.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the original poster for the most part. Love everything about the phone, my only small gripe is that its so nice and I don't wanna use a case, but I found one I love, because it is truly a hand crafted, one drop and its over lol. I finally ripped off my screen protector, something I never have done and just love it!! plus the two buttons respond so much better, I have yet to have to keep tapping the home icon......Blinkfeed is great!! love it more than flipboard! I just wish I could add more panels....so now I am using Nova.

Which case did you go with?

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 cases for my HTC, a Otterbox Defender, and 3 different rubber TPU cases I purchased from Amazon, which I highly recommend to everyone. Just search Mercury TPU case on Amazon. They're cheap and fit the phones perfectly and they're great looking also. Found out about them when I was looking for a case for my Nexus 4 a few months ago.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still really like mine. I do get really frustrated with how it works with my in car bluetooth compared to how well my Galaxy Note did. I sort of wish I had waited so I could have checked out the G Pro, but over all I am happy with the phone and do not regret my purchase.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with a ton of what you said. I use BlinkFeed so much. It's much more a part of my daily interaction than I thought it would be, especially when it pops up my picture galleries from the previous weekends. It is super-responsive and Sense 5 is more fluid. I do wish I could scroll the wallpapers, though. If there is no more carousel then let me scroll the wallpaper! I don't like how HTC forces the crops to make the wallpapers fit. And the live wallpapers lose a lot of their appeal when you can't scroll them.

But, as was mentioned originally, the front-facing camera on this phone is outstanding. It takes better pictures than my OG EVO main camera. I love the Zoe's and the 4MP Ultrapixel, but I do hope they tighten up some of that post-processing with updates. I know it isn't going to take GS4 or even EVO LTE-quality pics outside and in bright scenes, but just because it's only 4MP doesn't mean we should have that much noise in some of these shots or that it has to blow out any light source in the background. But overall, it's an excellent smartphone camera. My Nikon is an excellent camera camera. I don't expect one to replace the other.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I knew this was the right phone for me when I dropped it and 2 days later the scratches just..rubbed out. Made me feel good, but I still got a nice carbon-fiber case.
Battery got better overtime but it could be better. Only problems are small; certain things like moving dock items out is annoying and that ******* weather widget couldn't be any worse. Just about everything else I love.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So far, so good. Fastest device I've ever used. Battery is better than I expected. Screen on time is between three to four hours max. My old phone was the RAZR Maxx which got a minimum of five hours screen on time but it lagged and the camera wasn't very good. So glad I got this phone. My two sisters got it too and are loving it. Probably going to get it for my girlfriend too.

Posted via Android Central App

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I knew this was the right phone for me when I dropped it and 2 days later the scratches just..rubbed out. Made me feel good, but I still got a nice carbon-fiber case.
Battery got better overtime but it could be better. Only problems are small; certain things like moving dock items out is annoying and that ******* weather widget couldn't be any worse. Just about everything else I love.

I had the same experience! One of my friends dropped it (nobody is allowed to touch it anymore unless we are over carpet) on to concrete from about 4 ft high and it landed face down! Picked it up and saw a few scuffs and rubbed them off with my fingernail it was the weirdest experience ever.. I felt like superman! It look as good as new still

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just switched over to Android from iOS back in February with the Nexus 4 but the HTC One is really making me want to upgrade already. MUST STOP READING THESE POSITIVE POSTS!!! :p

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear that you're still enjoying your One. I just received my Jet Black One yesterday, and after a two-year break from Android with iOS, it is nice to be back. I missed the power of customization. Today is my first "real" day with my One, and I'm hoping that my battery holds up as that is my biggest concern. My 4S didn't have a problem getting through the day from 7 am to around midnight. If my One can manage that, I'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to participating in this community as my last Android device was the original HTC Droid Incredible back when I was with Big Red.

How are you liking the black one? I saw it in the store and it looks sexy, but I've been reading some posts on how easily it gets scratched.

When did you leave Verizon? And which carrier are you using now? I currently have unlimited data with VZ and 4 months left on my contract. The One is seriously making me consider leaving Big Red!

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Which case did you go with? How are able to use BlinkFeed with Nova? Thx!

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I have to chuckle inside when reading some of these comments. Seems that most of you share the same level of satisfaction with the HTC One. The wording of this statement may seem sarcastic, but I feel HTC made this device as if though their life depended on it. That's how much effort I feel was devoted to every aspect of the HTC One.

A side note: When picking up this phone just to hold it, I somehow made an association to plastic surgeons that fondle silicone/saline implants the entire time as they are giving a 5-minute overview.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12